newbrew is offline Senior Member

Am I working out hard enough?

I do not tend to get sore or feel 'accomplished' at the gym anymore. I workout to what I believe is a good routine...it has always worked for me naturally. I am into my 3rd week of Test E and I am starting to feel it kick in, but I still feel I am not working out intensely enough.
    Perhaps I can get a critique on my normal workout

Day 1 - Chest/Bi's
    I will do 5 sets and 4 different workouts per muscle groups
    e.g: bench press - 5 sets, butterfly - 5 sets, incline - 5 sets, dumbell - 5 sets
    and so on.

Day 2 - Tri's/back
    Day 3 - Legs, abs, and whatever else I feel I should work on
    Day 4 - I usually throw in a mix of different workouts depending on what I have and have not done.
    I do the same amount of sets for the above

I do mix it up a little, but I ALWAYS finish the last set of each workout to failure. I always lift so the last rep is extremely hard. I tend to mix in 21's, 15/20/25's, reverse pyramids, etc

I used to be able to workout until I could barely lift my arms, now it feels like I can hit up the gym for a second go around in the same day....

Oh yea, forgot to add that I will always work my shoulders in there at least once a week, often times into the tri's and back

1-Cent is offline Anabolic Member
    Depends on your body type bro, for example an ecto like me would never do 20 sets in a day, I'd get no where.

Quote Originally Posted by 1-Cent
    Depends on your body type bro, for example an ecto like me would never do 20 sets in a day, I'd get no where.
    How many sets do you do per body part? Doing 20 sets @ 2 body parts takes a bit of time. I am usually there roughly 2 hours. I usually do between 10-12 reps per set, always failing on the last, usually around rep 5 or 6.

My routine is 6 days, 1 off, most days are 1 group only, 3 sets per excersize and usualy 3 excersizes depending on the day. So 9 sets total on average, lifting very heavy in the rep range of about 4-8.

My routine is 6 days, 1 off, most days are 1 group only, 3 sets per excersize and usualy 3 excersizes depending on the day. So 9 sets total on average, lifting very heavy in the rep range of about 4-8.
    Ah, I see. So you are suggesting that I may be doing too many sets?

fitnessguy is offline Anabolic Member
    I think you're doing too many sets. I also wouldn't do chest one day and tris the next. Same goes for back and bis. Primary and secondary muscles shouldn't be worked on consecutive days IMO. Switch up your workout. Don't have a "normal" workout routine. Your body gets used to that and slows down gains. I finish almost all of my sets to, what i call, "failure plus one". It works for me. Form is more important than # of reps. You might be over working yourself, i don't know. Like 1-Cent said, it depends on your body type, as everyone is different. Good luck.
    -fitness

I was considering a workout like this, however, I am affraid of working each muscle only once a week. I have read that this does work really well, but from what has worked for me so far, I prefer to work out my focused muscle groups twice a week. But, what do I know, I havent tried your method...perhaps I should

Hed
    Hed is offline Senior Member
    Yea, um, im an ecto and i gotta work out hard as hell to gain.

4 sets per part, 2 parts per day, 3 day split, one day of rest......

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    I just switched to working out 1 body part per week myself except bicep and tricep i do same day. My arms seem to grow better that way and it gives each side a chance to rest as you blow out the other. Working my chest once a week has allowed me to have much better strength gains than I used to. also, the way i see is you work each body part twice a week or more just some times as a secondary muscle. ie: on chest you work tricep, back your bicep,etc..

dirtdawg is offline Anabolic Member
    i am always sore after i train

I really want to bone your avatar dirtdawg

fitnessguy is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilthepill123
    Too bad, she's mine!!

dirtdawg is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilthepill123
    me to, blown_sc hooked it up, huh

Mutant is offline Banned
    If you don't feel like your working out hard enough then most likely your not. I'm wrecked when I leave the gym. I'm a Mutant!

A_Pro is offline Junior Member
    Yuh... work till you feel like your ready to puke bro. Your body needs stress to grow -- or else why would it?

Think of it like kicking your own ass, before you leave the gym look in the mirror as go, "That all you got bytch?" Most times you'll say no...

Mutant is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Pro
    Yuh... work till you feel like your ready to puke bro. Your body needs stress to grow -- or else why would it?

Think of it like kicking your own ass, before you leave the gym look in the mirror as go, "That all you got bytch?" Most times you'll say no...

Yea, I puke in the trash can next to the drinking fountain all the time. It's part of the fun. You will know when you get there. Then, keep going.

Ybear is offline Junior Member
    you should do some reaserch and find some workouts that might suit you better either here or go to www.bodybuilding.com you can cutomize a search for the type of workout you u want

challenge me and i will succeed

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant
    Yea, I puke in the trash can next to the drinking fountain all the time. It's part of the fun. You will know when you get there. Then, keep going.
    It sounds like you're workouts are very drawn out if you throw up regularly, squat day is an exception of course but if you do it as often as you make it sound then your workouts are very counter productive. Longer is not better.

Mutant is offline Banned
    It sounds like you're workouts are very drawn out if you throw up regularly, squat day is an exception of course but if you do it as often as you make it sound then your workouts are very counter productive. Longer is not better.
    My workouts are normally around 1 hour, but very intense. I lift very hard, and put everything I have into it. I dont take long breaks. Sometimes I just puke. It's not every time I lift but leg and back days are usually definites.

Thread Information