Thread: torn tendon?

O.fO.shO is offline Member

torn tendon?

I really have no idea how to explain this but here goes . . . .

It hurts to pick this up rith my right arm.....but only a certain way . The pain is right near my elbow....but it feels like a muscle pain . Its not unbearable....but stopped me from working my bi's last week .

The worst pain would be from doing somthing like a reverse curl....palms out .

Anyone ever get this while on?? I have gotten a bit stronger and may have over done it .

If it is a tendon....how long do they take to heal?

bump

timeismoney is offline Associate Member
    With the little info that you gave it could be a whole list of things. It does, however, not sound like a terrible injury. The fact that it hurts most when your pronated makes me think that it could possibly be a UCL injury. (Ulnar Colareral Ligament) These types of injury mostly occur from slight or complete hyperextension or from a weight bearing injury like a collision. Give me some more details about how it happened, whether it was chronic or acute and the symptoms that you get during rest, active phases, and pre/post sleep and I'll be able to give you a better analysis. As of now, I would highly recomend staying away from real strenous activity where hyperextension or force on the posterior aspect of the arm be limited and even better left alone all together for a while. In the mean time, get me that info, and be sure to ice at least 3 times per day for ten minutes. An "ice massage" from an ice cup will benefit you also. If the pain is constant all day take some ibuprofen and keep on that ice.

Also, let me know which lifts hurt the most and what position your arm is in. (Flexion, extension, add/abduction) If not familiar with those terms just straight up say what hurts and I'll be able to help you out.

Hey bro, feel free to PM me if you need any help, I am 6 1/2 years into school now and have a certification in CSCS and PES. I am also in grad school for physical therapy so I will be glad to answer any questions, as I have a lot of experience over the years and a growing passion for anatomy and kinesiology. Good luck bro.

needle is offline Senior Member
    O man i no what your talking ABOUT I got that same sharp pain in my elbow when I would only do inclin for some reason !!! MIne went away after a few months of taking it easy!!

ROZ
    ROZ is offline Junior Member
    Sounds like tendonitis to me. But I am not a doctor, I just slept at a Comfort Inn Select last night

i believe its coming from the brachioradialis but possable the extensor carpi radialis longus .

http://www.gwc.maricopa.edu/class/bi...e/arm/frmp.htm

Its most painfull to do Reverse Plate Curls : http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...on=&order=Name

But it hurts all bicept movements really . It seems to be getting slightly better . I've had this pain for almost a week .

No idea how i did it....just kinda noticed it . I thought from doing a really heavy bench last week.....but that makes no sence because i feel no pain from this doing any kind of presses .

The same arm i actually feel like i got carpel tunnel at work . I use hand tools alot and i think i was squeezing too hard . Dint realize it , and im alot stronger being at 6weeks into my cycle . Hoping this goes away too . It is not related to the other injury and this dosnt effect my workouts .

Did i just get to strong to quick? Granted im stronger.....but not like i doubled my stats or anything .

Anyway , id usally just skip my bicept workouts till its gone.....but being on cycle id rather just suck it up if its not gonna do any further damage .

thx for the help .

cut260 is offline Associate Member
    a guy I competed with and a good friend could have repeated your symptoms to the exact letter. He had tendonitis and got a cortisone shot, took a week off all training and slowly got back into things over a few weeks and he is now as good as new. Before the shot and rest time he could hardly lift a thing.

Being on cycle will help speed the recovery, however remember pride comes before the fall. A week isnt gonna kill you or make any difference in the long run so give you body the time to rest and dont risk turning an annoyance into something needing surgery. I did that before and it caused me to need shoulder surgery. Was it worth it? Not a chance in hell. Take some time to recover and your gains will be even better when you go back to the weights.

edmen2 is offline Anabolic Member
    i get the same pain but only when i do skull crushers. it started after my first cycle a few years back now it comes and goes. incorporated deca into current cycle ill let u know if that helps when it kicks in about 3 wks from now.

redmeat is offline Senior Member
    If there's no bruising there's probably not a tear.

xtc75 is offline Junior Member
    I'm going through the exact same thing right now. It also hurt anytime i would grip something, or shake someone's hand. Took a week off the gym completely thinking it was just sore and would go away. It didn't help. I went to a sports doctor and it's "tennis elbow" tendonitis. He gave me a cortizone shot. I gotta go back for another one in a few more weeks. It feels better now, but not 100%. Hopefully shot #2 will do it. If not, surgery time.

THe cortisone is never necessary unless the pain is completely unbearable even when just relaxing. I have been involved with physical therapy for almost five years and was never fond of cortisone shots. I will rarely advise them when talking with a new patient. This does not seem like it needs cortisone. Plus being a bodybuilder or just an avid lifter, cortisone injections around the elbow and shoulder especially could lead to other problems if you do not give it enough rest or it does not heal properly.
    Last edited by timeismoney; 03-01-2005 at 12:23 AM.

xtc75 is offline Junior Member
    timeismoney,
    Unfortunately the pain was pretty unbearable. It hurt even when i was just resting or walking. A while back i got a cortizone shot in my wrist which was a horrible experience where I had a "steroid rebound" and I ended up need surgery anyway. Currently, the sports doc wants to try another cortizone shot and if that doesn't work, then surgery. What would you recommend I do for the best and quickest recovery? I'm just afraid even after these cortizone shots, it will only be temporary relief and when I get back in the gym it'll get worse again.

Sorry to hear that man.

Quote Originally Posted by O.fO.shO
    i believe its coming from the brachioradialis but possable the extensor carpi radialis longus .

http://www.gwc.maricopa.edu/class/bi...e/arm/frmp.htm

Its most painfull to do Reverse Plate Curls : http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...on=&order=Name

But it hurts all bicept movements really . It seems to be getting slightly better . I've had this pain for almost a week .

No idea how i did it....just kinda noticed it . I thought from doing a really heavy bench last week.....but that makes no sence because i feel no pain from this doing any kind of presses .

The same arm i actually feel like i got carpel tunnel at work . I use hand tools alot and i think i was squeezing too hard . Dint realize it , and im alot stronger being at 6weeks into my cycle . Hoping this goes away too . It is not related to the other injury and this dosnt effect my workouts .

Did i just get to strong to quick? Granted im stronger.....but not like i doubled my stats or anything .

Anyway , id usally just skip my bicept workouts till its gone.....but being on cycle id rather just suck it up if its not gonna do any further damage .

thx for the help .
    I sent you a PM as well:

From what it sounds like, you may have an inflamed tendon in your elbow. It most likely is the UCL tendon which is the tendon that is effected mostly by heavy lifting. (This could also feel like it is a muscle pain but is very decieving) Such as bench presses, shoulder presses, and can be very painful when flexing the bicep or tricep and even sqeezing the hand hard. The best thing for you to do would be to start icing at least 3 times a day for 10-15 min as I stated before. I have had this injury slightly before and know the feeling that you describe. This inflamed tendon can be very painful and can cause a very bad pain all the way up your tricep and into your bicep as well (less likely). This injury can be re-acurring and turn into a chronic injury if not taken care of accordingly.

I would suggest taking it easy and icing for a while. PT exercises as easy as squeezing a gel ball will help you strengthen around the elbow. Take care not to do any heavy presses for a while and be careful not to hyperextend the elbow, which could cause the injury to become much worse and the recovery to be post-poned. Hopefully this helps. Just take it easy and keep on the ice. Feel free to keep me posted and ask any questions you may have.

Thread Information