flabbywussy is offline Senior Member

Very Confused about Over-Training - Help

I don't understand why we work out our forearms with every workout while we are doing every exercise, but they never seem to get overworked and they just keep growing. I know people say that even while you are on gear not to train the same body part more than once a week. But i don't get how my forearms never get over trained and they are sore every other work out. I need some advice guys. Let me know bros, thanks.

BROTHERHOOD is offline Junior Member
    I for one, work my forearms real good every night before I fall asleep. I haven't noticed any overtraining.

You're not directly working them on every workout is one of the reasons. Maybe if you did wrist curls everyday they would get overtrained, but not from the secondary movements.

Smaller muscle groups are easy to avoid overtraining, because recovery time is quicker than larger ones. Forearms being one of the smaller ones, you can work them often and they'll still grow.

Quote Originally Posted by YounG_SluG11
    You're not directly working them on every workout is one of the reasons. Maybe if you did wrist curls everyday they would get overtrained, but not from the secondary movements.
    why would i have to work them out directly,when they get sore by doing the other compound movements?

Smaller muscle groups are easy to avoid overtraining, because recovery time is quicker than larger ones. Forearms being one of the smaller ones, you can work them often and they'll still grow.

then why do people only do 6 sets for bi's and 10 or more for chest?

are these facts or are you just guessing? no flame,just askin

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Quote Originally Posted by flabbywussy

More complex and larger muscle groups require more sets... Shoulders are probably the most complex so you need to hit them from different angles of attack... theres not really too much variation with Bi's. Or calves.

why would i have to work them out directly,when they get sore by doing the other compound movements?

Bro, you're completely missin the whole concept of what I'm trying to say. Read it again a few times...
    Last edited by YounG_SluG11; 03-02-2005 at 03:37 AM.

Seajackal is offline Anabolic Member
    If you're not feeling you're overtraining your forearms there's
    nothing to worry about, when you start feeling then bad so
    it's time to use wrist straps in pulling movements specially
    the heavy ones!

Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    I don't understand why we work out our forearms with every workout while we are doing every exercise, but they never seem to get overworked and they just keep growing. I know people say that even while you are on gear not to train the same body part more than once a week. But i don't get how my forearms never get over trained and they are sore every other work out. I need some advice guys. Let me know bros, thanks.
    I dont have that problem cos i cant get my forarms to grow at all

Bro, you're completely missin the whole concept of what I'm trying to say. Read it again a few times...
    if smaller muscle groups are harder to overtrain and you can work them more often, then it's o.k. to work my bi's and tri's 2x a wk as opposed to chest 1x wk

also the soreness in my forearms feels like i'm training them directly even though i never do.

i just don't understand that when my forearms are sore and i work out the next day they still grow.

mx747 is offline Associate Member
    If your forarms get that sore during other training your form may be off some. Also focus deeply on the muscle your training at that time.
    p.s. I use straps on all pulls and shrugs, and kill forarms once a week..

j martini is offline Member
    Your forearms, calves, abs and traps are used all the time in everyday life. Thus it would take a very high workload to overtrain them they are also compiled of a higher amount of slow twitch fibres these are more suited to endurance so they can tolerate a more frequent and higher workload than other bodyparts.

Quote Originally Posted by j martini
    Your forearms, calves, abs and traps are used all the time in everyday life. Thus it would take a very high workload to overtrain them they are also compiled of a higher amount of slow twitch fibres these are more suited to endurance so they can tolerate a more frequent and higher workload than other bodyparts.
    This is close to what I was trying to say.

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Quote Originally Posted by mx747
    If your forarms get that sore during other training your form may be off some. Also focus deeply on the muscle your training at that time.

yeah if youre using only your hands for deadlift and shrugs, your forearms are probably failing before your back or traps...

BROTHERHOOD is offline Junior Member
    This is all opinion though. Look into hypertrophy specific training. google it. Its interesting to read different viewpoints. Im still not sure which one I believe more.

Quote Originally Posted by mx747
    ???? my form is not off bro i rarely bend my wrist on movements. i think it's just from gripping the bar tightly, or since my forearms are weaker then my other muscles they're trying to catch up,so they are sore more often. this doesn't have anything to do with the first post anyways. i don't care how sore they are..I'M TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY THEY DON'T GET OVERTRAINED.
    Last edited by flabbywussy; 03-03-2005 at 02:34 AM.

This is close to what I was trying to say.

umm, no....YOU were saying it's harder to overtrain small muscle groups as opposed to big ones. sorry, but he ain't sayin the same thing as you ,and that just don't sound correct to me.

thanks for the better explanation martini

timeismoney is offline Associate Member
    It is in regards to the everyday use that you get from the certain muscles. Scientifically, certain muscles are broken down differently inside your body, regarding fast twitch, slow twitch, and muscular adaptivity. The thing is this, your body doesn't necisarily want to grow. That is why you keep mixing up your routine and workouts hitting muscles from different angles to keep your body guessing and forcing it to respond with growth. In regards to overtraining your forearms, since they are used in everyday activity, like typing even, or carrying grocerys or a bag, they adapt to being used, even though they aren't being directly stimulated with a movement like a wrist curl. So hitting them once a week alone won't necasarily be overtraining. Same thing with abs. They are stimulated with almost everything you do. But training them three times a week isn't necasarily overtraining them.

It also depends on what type of training you do regulary. I am an avid powerlifter. While I do exercises like power cleans, deadlifts, clean high pull, snatches, etc... my forearms are being stimulated more then if I wasn't powerlifting. There for, I don't really find it necasary to work forearms everyweek. Hopefully that wasn't too confusing and made some sense. Good luck bro.

Quote Originally Posted by timeismoney
    It is in regards to the everyday use that you get from the certain muscles. Scientifically, certain muscles are broken down differently inside your body, regarding fast twitch, slow twitch, and muscular adaptivity. The thing is this, your body doesn't necisarily want to grow. That is why you keep mixing up your routine and workouts hitting muscles from different angles to keep your body guessing and forcing it to respond with growth. In regards to overtraining your forearms, since they are used in everyday activity, like typing even, or carrying grocerys or a bag, they adapt to being used, even though they aren't being directly stimulated with a movement like a wrist curl. So hitting them once a week alone won't necasarily be overtraining. Same thing with abs. They are stimulated with almost everything you do. But training them three times a week isn't necasarily overtraining them.

It also depends on what type of training you do regulary. I am an avid powerlifter. While I do exercises like power cleans, deadlifts, clean high pull, snatches, etc... my forearms are being stimulated more then if I wasn't powerlifting. There for, I don't really find it necasary to work forearms everyweek. Hopefully that wasn't too confusing and made some sense. Good luck bro.
    thks bro great post

TheMindOfRoss is offline Banned

The Myth

Overtraining--as we have come to know it, is a complete MYTH. There IS such a thing as overtraining the CNS--you will be tired, weak, apathetic and lathargic--this is because you have depleted your (C)entral (N)ervous (S)ystem. HOWEVER--MUSCULAR OVERTRAINING is ALMOST nonsense. OBVIOUSLY you don't BLAST YOUR CHEST as hard as you can for two days in a row(For those of us who are JUICE-free), as this would not allow sufficient recovery time for your chest. HOWEVER, Training other muscular groups that aren't damaged is beneficial even to those that are under recuperation. Furthermore, there is little clinical datat to support the notion of "48-72 hours rest period". Take ARNOLDS challenge. "If you can actually overtrain, i'll pay you."

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMindOfRoss
    Overtraining--as we have come to know it, is a complete MYTH. There IS such a thing as overtraining the CNS--you will be tired, weak, apathetic and lathargic--this is because you have depleted your (C)entral (N)ervous (S)ystem. HOWEVER--MUSCULAR OVERTRAINING is ALMOST nonsense. OBVIOUSLY you don't BLAST YOUR CHEST as hard as you can for two days in a row(For those of us who are JUICE-free), as this would not allow sufficient recovery time for your chest. HOWEVER, Training other muscular groups that aren't damaged is beneficial even to those that are under recuperation. Furthermore, there is little clinical datat to support the notion of "48-72 hours rest period". Take ARNOLDS challenge. "If you can actually overtrain, i'll pay you."

i guess that throws the theory of when your resting your muscles grow most.

Thread Information