Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mealticket is offline Senior Member

Deca for my dog. Yes i'm serious!

Yes i'm serious. My dog is part great dane/black lab. About 16 years old and has arthritis horridly bad. it hurts him everytime he stands up and sits down; hurts him bad. x-rays look like the last 4 vertebrate have been surgically fused together, in all reality there is just nothing left between them. He gets acupuncture which is somehat effective for a few days after. Was on Medacam but that seems not to help ne more, same w/ glucosamine.

Ne one have any experience w/ giving anabolics to pets, for medical purposes. Anything better that you can think of other than a really mild dose of deca to supersaturate his joints? What do you thing the side would be. In all reality he's in excellent health but the arthritis is too bad. If he doesn't die in the next 6 months i can't forsee letting him live much past that point due to his worsening condition.

................And if you're going to respond w/ "Make sure you get some for yourself when you get your vet to get u a script", grow the fuk up and move on along and come back when you graduate highschool
    Last edited by Mealticket; 03-08-2005 at 09:49 AM.

Diesel is offline Anabolic Member
    You should really discuss this with your Vet bro.

Mesomorphyl is offline Smart Ass Member
    How about some adequan? Get enough for yourself too. Deca would help too, get the vet to prescribe both of these. Your dog will be brand new(kinda)

Quote Originally Posted by Mesomorphyl
    How about some adequan? Get enough for yourself too. Deca would help too, get the vet to prescribe both of these. Your dog will be brand new(kinda)
    I don't want drugs for myself, i'm asking to help out my dog, not to get drugs.

One of my friends is an Equine breeder and told me about this product called Legend; made by Bayer. Made for horses. anyone heard of it?

BDTR is offline Retired
    I was going to say adequan... When i first read this thing I thought it was gonna be about juicing your dog to fight him and I was going to ban you, im glad I read the whole thing.

I would talk to your vet about possible options.. at this stage I would try anything but I honestly can't advise in what to do.

indica is offline Banned
    I really think you should talk to a veterinary about this. I dont think anyones going to have info you could really use (unless the vet guys really are vets...). Ask your veterinary straight out about what he thinks steroids could help your dog. This is nothing for gym guys to decide. Its no shame in asking your veterinary about giving your dog steroids, if you dont have the nerve call one up and explain...If steroids is something that could help him they would give it to him straight away, no questions asked. its not as stigmatised as with humans

Really hope your dog recovers
    Indy

Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    I was going to say adequan... When i first read this thing I thought it was gonna be about juicing your dog to fight him and I was going to ban you, im glad I read the whole thing.

I would talk to your vet about possible options.. at this stage I would try anything but I honestly can't advise in what to do.
    I thought the same thing.

We do not generally allow these type of threads but your concern seems genuine......so it is staying up for now.

Seriously though, whatever you do, get a script from your vet.

indica is offline Banned
    Diesel do they allow you to use the internet at coocoo nest??? dont they know that that kind of **** is contagios

rainjack is offline Junior Member
    Your dog is 16 years old. That's 112 in dog years.

Quote Originally Posted by indica
    Diesel do they allow you to use the internet at coocoo nest??? dont they know that that kind of **** is contagios

Yes, they let me use the internet for a couple hours a day. Otherwise, I get a little unruly...LOL

he goes in next week. I'll bring it up then w/ the vet. looking up deca in a drug book isn't going to tell you that it has a really good side effect of lessening joint pain, that's why i'm asking you guys. If the vet says no go on all anabolics i guess i'll do it myself. he use to be 90 lb and is down to about 76. I' ll figure out doasages later for him. maybe like start him @ 50mg a week if i do decide to go w/ deca.

***xxx*** is offline Anabolic Member
    in this age anabolics are a bad idea. not healthy for the cardiac system...this would be the worst u could do to him!

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Maybe you should put him to sleep if his in that bad condition. Its hard as hell but do whats best for the dog.

Why? Seriously, why are you doing this? Is it for you, or your dog? Don't get me wrong. I love dogs, but at 16 years old - you know he's not long for this world. If the vet advises against it, and you go forward with the deca thing, you could be doing more harm than good.

BDTR is offline Retired
    This is the way i look at it... everyone is saying "put your dog down", but think of it this way, if you had joint problems and were old would you just kill yourself or would you try and fix the problem, even with a risky treatment? What if it was a family member? Would you try anything? The worst that could happen is the dog could die, and given the circumstances, you would put him to sleep anyway, so why not try your best to increase his quality of life and if it doesn't work out, then alteast you tried for the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by rainjack
    Why? Seriously, why are you doing this? Is it for you, or your dog? Don't get me wrong. I love dogs, but at 16 years old - you know he's not long for this world. If the vet advises against it, and you go forward with the deca thing, you could be doing more harm than good.
    Put it this way. My mom's a phd in JOINT and PAIN, my sister is a nurse practitioner, and my girlfriend is a MD, i've got a degree in sports medicine and we ALL agree that @ a low dose it would be almost anything but harmfull. If you read the post i said that my dog is in excellent health, excellent, he just has arthritis. You're not going to knock off your grandmother who's in perfect health because she uses a walker because of ARTHRITIS. That's all he has, nothing else. He still runs and plays like he's 3 years old when we go outside, it's just getting up and down that's a mother fukr for him.

This is the way i look at it... everyone is saying "put your dog down", but think of it this way, if you had joint problems and were old would you just kill yourself or would you try and fix the problem, even with a risky treatment? What if it was a family member? Would you try anything? The worst that could happen is the dog could die, and given the circumstances, you would put him to sleep anyway, so why not try your best to increase his quality of life and if it doesn't work out, then alteast you tried for the dog.

As much as you want to humanize the dog, he's still a dog. Dogs die. It's a very bad thing, but I think that if he's suffering, the humane thing to do would be to put him down. Not make a science project out of him.

BDTR is offline Retired
    Dogs die, but so do humans.

Would you put your grandmother out? It's the same thing, except of course you most likely love your grandmother more.

As much as you want to humanize the dog, he's still a dog. Dogs die. It's a very bad thing, but I think that if he's suffering, the humane thing to do would be to put him down. Not make a science project out of him.

I would make my vet give my dog adequan and deca . Just say you have been looking this stuff up and you love your dog. If the vet wants to give the shots even better, if it helps him sleep at night. Doing what you can mealticket will help you sleep at night.

GetBiggg is offline Associate Member
    i'd walk through fire for my dog... and my grandmother... so my vote is help the guy out

Would you put your grandmother out? It's the same thing, except of course you most likely love your grandmother more.
    My grandmother is not a dog, for one thing - there's a difference. A dog is not a human, no matter how much you love it. For another, I wouldn't use my grandmother as an experiment.

GetinBig is offline Anabolic Member
    My grandmother is not a dog, for one thing - there's a difference. A dog is not a human, no matter how much you love it. For another, I wouldn't use my grandmother as an experiment.

What ever man the bro is just trying to help out his dog (just like a kid in my book)

Mealticket,
    Help him out bro it can't hurt if there is no other option. I would do it if it were my dog.

GB

timeismoney is offline Associate Member

How about having a little heart bro. I sense a little immaturity.

Two things
    First it would not be an experiment... Second you do not own a dog, do you?

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Well, you obviously don't love her as much as you claim. I would do anything, including experimental treatments, to help a loved one.

In this case however, both nandrolone and adequan are WELL STUDIED to show positive effects on collagen synthesis and to provide relief for arthritis. This isn't exactly an "experiment."

It's heartless to face the facts? That's a new one to me. I have 3 dogs. I love my dogs, but if they get too old to enjoy life why prolong their suffering? Is it so I can enjoy Fido's company? That's selfish.

I'm not saying that the guy should put the dog down absolutely. If he still has good days left in him, then do what you can to help the dog. But deca ? That's like killing flies with a shot gun. It might do the trick, but at what cost?

But that day is coming - he's 16 years old for christ's sake. keeping the dog around because you don't want to say good bye is wrong, and cruel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mealticket
    ................And if you're going to respond w/ "Make sure you get some for yourself when you get your vet to get u a script", grow the fuk up and move on along and come back when you graduate highschool
    How the hell do you think people use to get their roids(think early 80's), jackass.

Angelis is offline Banned
    This is where you truly sperate man from beast I would never do anything to a dog (or any other animal for that matter) that wouldnt do to a human. Just cus we evolved first doesnt mean we are better... what if the dogs evolved first and we were there pets and they were gonna kill you bcs u had arthritis.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelis
    This is where you truly sperate man from beast I would never do anything to a dog (or any other animal for that matter) that wouldnt do to a human. Just cus we evolved first doesnt mean we are better... what if the dogs evolved first and we were there pets and they were gonna kill you bcs u had arthritis.
    Get off the drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Dude-Man
    Well, you obviously don't love her as much as you claim. I would do anything, including experimental treatments, to help a loved one.

In this case however, both nandrolone and adequan are WELL STUDIED to show positive effects on collagen synthesis and to provide relief for arthritis. This isn't exactly an "experiment."

My grandmothers are both dead. The most recent died in 1988. I lived with her through her chemo, hair loss, nausea, weightloss, remission, and relapse. Before you go throwing stones and questioning the love I have for my family, walk a mile in my shoes, pal.

When she was at the end - the most humane thing to do for her was not experimental treatments, it was to let go and not hurt anynore. It was my hand she was holding when she drew her last breath - don't tell me I didn't love her as much as I claim to. She's not a freakin dog.

But whatever - we were talking about DOGS, and you have to question my love of someone with whom I share a genetic link? That's pretty effin low, dude.

joevette is offline Banned
    Try some glucosamine and msm first. My do was 14 years old and could barely limp around, we started giving him glucosamin and msm in a hotdog every day and about a month or so later he was back up chasing rabbits. A much safer option IMO.

BDTR is offline Retired
    Why would you keep your grandmother alive then? To enjoy her company? I'm sure the dog would rather try and heal then die..

It's heartless to face the facts? That's a new one to me. I have 3 dogs. I love my dogs, but if they get too old to enjoy life why prolong their suffering? Is it so I can enjoy Fido's company? That's selfish.

I'm not saying that the guy should put the dog down absolutely. If he still has good days left in him, then do what you can to help the dog. But deca ? That's like killing flies with a shot gun. It might do the trick, but at what cost?

But that day is coming - he's 16 years old for christ's sake. keeping the dog around because you don't want to say good bye is wrong, and cruel.

yikes!! is offline Associate Member
    I have a malamute bro and he gets all kinds of supps.......good luck to you.....

supplementsavvy is offline Junior Member
    The problem is an orthopedic problem, his spine has just degenerated with age and genetics. A steroid would have little positive effect (if any) on this condition. What you have described isn't arthritis, he has disc degeneration in his lower spine. In dogs this is frequently misdiagnosed as hip dysplasia, a common condition. It sounds like surgery would be the best bet for the dog, although at his age things could go wrong.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    so if there had been an experimental treatment that would be almost guaranteed to cure her cancer, but had a small chance to put her at risk for cardiovascular problems, you wouldn't take that chance in a heartbeat? That's what you said in the post that i was replying to.

My grandmothers are both dead. The most recent died in 1988. I lived with her through her chemo, hair loss, nausea, weightloss, remission, and relapse. Before you go throwing stones and questioning the love I have for my family, walk a mile in my shoes, pal.

When she was at the end - the most humane thing to do for her was not experimental treatments, it was to let go and not hurt anynore. It was my hand she was holding when she drew her last breath - don't tell me I didn't love her as much as I claim to. She's not a freakin dog.

But whatever - we were talking about DOGS, and you have to question my love of someone with whom I share a genetic link? That's pretty effin low, dude.

justin2305 is offline Senior Member
    if ur serious bout doing this for ur dog just go to ur vet. and see what dosage he thinks whether hill perscribe it or not just ask him what would he advise for the dog and for how long and what not, the dog is 16yrs old the only thing u can do really is help, in doing this its going to help him out or make him worse which i dont think itll make him worse but good luck bro in this hope it works out for ya and ur dog

Quote Originally Posted by Dude-Man
    so if there had been an experimental treatment that would be almost guaranteed to cure her cancer, but had a small chance to put her at risk for cardiovascular problems, you wouldn't take that chance in a heartbeat? That's what you said in the post that i was replying to.
    You never mentioned that scenario before - especially not the part about 'almost guaranteed to cure cancer'. That's a bogus question. an absurd question. There's never been a cure for cancer - I know - I watched my granny die from cancer.

If you could take a pill and live forever, would you take the pill? Who's not going to answer with, "I'll take the pill"? That's just as ludicrous as your premise.

There are risks in all treatments - you show me a disease that has a surefire cure, and I'll show you a disease that doesn't exist anymore.

Since a dog is a dog, he can't communicate with you about what he wants. You have to make that decision for the dog and hope you make the right call. No one is denying that this is a tough call to make. Had it been an easy one, he wouldn't have posted the question on the boards.

There is a difference between humans and animals. If you think there isn't, then you have a warped sense of reality. I wonder how your grandmother would feel if she knew that fido was just as important to you as she was.

Rainjack, I know what you're tying to say. I am not with the sierra club or greenpiece. But with that said, I love my dog like it is a part of my family. I use to laugh at those kind of people, now I am one. You are right in a since, if I saw your dog I would not hesitate to put a bullet in its head, but if it were your grandmother I would have a challenge with that. If I saw someone put a bullet in my dog, they best be prepared for one too.

indica is offline Banned
    He still runs and plays like he's 3 years old when we go outside, it's just getting up and down that's a mother fukr for him.

average age for women is 82 i think but i have met old ladys in their 90 when ive been working who are as young in mind as 20 and maybe 60 in body. If they where mute and they couldnt really tell how they are doing should they be put to sleep?

Bottom line talk to the veterinary and tell him everything he will know if your dog would benefit at all from any roids. didnt you say his verterbrae discs had grown together?? dont really see how roids gonna help with that

All in all your love for your dog is very touching!!

hope all works out

Indy

ceasar250 is offline Associate Member
    I have a Dogo Argentino, as a fellow dog owner and lover I understand your struggles. But let us put things into perspective; a 16yr old dane/lab has lived about 6-8 years longer than expected, a vet will probably not prescibe AS, you have exhausted all options. The way I see it AS is your last shot, what is the worst thing that can happen? Realistically the dog will not live too much longer no matter what option you pursue. The way I see it is, if you don't want to put your dog down, you should make your dog's last days as comfortable as possible. I say go for it, I would probably do the same if I couldn't bring myself to put my dog down.

Check this link out, they give dogs with bad arthritis, Depo-Medrol, Winny and even Deca .

www.lbah.com/Canine/arthritis.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information