greekboy is offline Junior Member

Too many shakes bad?

I have a hectic work schedule and its real hard for me to sit down and make a clean meal high in protein. Just as hard to stop at a restarurant and have a steak or some chicken. I was wondering if it was pointless or bad to get a majority of my protein from my shakes during the day. Opinions?

RUballs0514 is offline Associate Member
    you need to get as much protein as you can from eatin. pack tuna, nuts, whatever. its not good to get so much from just shakes

jordanfanatic23 is offline BANNED SCAMMING TRAITOR AKA LIL VITO AKA **TR LIVES 5 MINUTES FROM HIM.
    food is better than the shakes bro . I have 2 shakes a day one after a workout and before bed. pack some tuna sandwiches or turkey sandwiches if you have to. some beef jerky, peanuts what ever it takes man.

i go the 2 shakes a day too. i make one in the mornin with like 150g. and just drink that throughout the day. then i have my post workout shake with like 80g. but i definitely eat like a carnivore

macgyver_48 is offline Associate Member
    try and get most of your calories from food. shakes should be a PWO, before bed, and convenience thing IMO. cook the meals the night before and bring a cooler with you. it'll help you stick to your diet too.

bradd5150 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RUballs0514
    i go the 2 shakes a day too. i make one in the mornin with like 150g. and just drink that throughout the day. then i have my post workout shake with like 80g. but i definitely eat like a carnivore
    i used to do the exact same thing but worried that letting the protein sit in a thermos while i drank it throughout the day was bad for it. so i just started taking my 5lb tub of protein powder with me, a shaker cup and some water and mix it on the spot. i usually have 3-4 shakes throughout the day but i also take plenty of cooked egg whites, chicken and rice with me.

Its alot harder the more you weigh to get alot of protein. I try to eat 2.5 grams of protein a day. Easy when you weigh 160. Not so easy when you weigh 235. I find that 60% of my protein derived from protein shakes isnt a bad way to go

Juddman is offline Anabolic Member
    Wrong forum.
    I like to get as much as I can from real food...only have a shake post-workout normally.

Hed
    Hed is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilthepill123
    I try to eat 2.5 grams of protein a day.

Hahahahah, ****, how do you grow? (i know what you meant tho )

But seriously, 60% of your protein from shakes blows man. I get 52g protein and 600 calories a day from my shake. The rest from good ol chicken, steak, and tuna, and other protein foods.

I get around 350 grams of protien /day, only 60 of those grams is from a shake PWO. It can be done from food, just a pain in the ass.

Tags is offline Associate Member
    I have seen a lot of these posts come up lately...

And all of them have come to conclude that getting protein from food is better...

But not yet one of them has proven why protein from food would be better...

So my question is can some one post some research links or anything of this sort to back up all of these comments I have been hearing since I have been on AR??? I'm just curious because I too belive that protein from food is better but then again, how or why??? I have no clue so therefore I could be wrong...
    Last edited by Tags; 03-23-2005 at 12:55 AM.

jordanfanatic23 is offline BANNED SCAMMING TRAITOR AKA LIL VITO AKA **TR LIVES 5 MINUTES FROM HIM.
    I dont know about any research but I think of it this way, natural protein which is pretty much the muscle of an animal vs. man made protein which is powder? ill stick with natural protein bro.

Deez101 is offline Junior Member
    Tags, I was going to ask the same thing. Why is food protein better? With my work schedule, I rely a lot on supplementation, and I wouldn't have the time to eat all of that chicken, tuna, etc!

I like to eat, because, well, I just love food! But I weigh 210 and there is no way that I can get more than 150 grams a day from food, so I rely on supplements to get the other 150-200 grams or so a day.

Quote Originally Posted by jordanfanatic23
    I dont know about any research but I think of it this way, natural protein which is pretty much the muscle of an animal vs. man made protein which is powder? ill stick with natural protein bro.
    This isn't meant as a flame... But taking that prospective, let's take that into juice...

Let's say you could some how withdraw test from animals... But yet there is human grade test that was phamacuticaly created in a lab... Which would you rather take??? Animal Test or Pharmacutical(human made) Test...

***xxx*** is offline Anabolic Member
    i don t think that the protein powder is worse than natural food. if u take egg protein for example I think it s very good stuff and can be compared to natural food.

judge_dread is offline Member
    Greekboy is not so bad to drink 3-4 protein shakes throught your day since u have a hard schedule.Try also to take with u some tuna or turkey sandwiches and don't forget the most important meal -the postworkout meal.
    I have a hectic schedule too but I have my "magic" bag along with me...lol

Bump, I'm interested to see if any one has any research links...

JdFlex is offline Senior Member
    I take in around 450gms of protein every day. I'd say half comes from whey protein shakes. I couldn't imagine try to get all that protein from food alone.

Quote Originally Posted by bradd5150
    i used to do the exact same thing but worried that letting the protein sit in a thermos while i drank it throughout the day was bad for it. so i just started taking my 5lb tub of protein powder with me, a shaker cup and some water and mix it on the spot. i usually have 3-4 shakes throughout the day but i also take plenty of cooked egg whites, chicken and rice with me.
    i keep it in the fridge of my room and drink it in between classes throughout the day. it stays plenny fresh. this definitely does need to be in the diet forum though

Thread Information