Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    peyton18 is offline Junior Member

want to bench 405...help

i am currently bench pressing 325 for sets of 6 and maxing out around 365...i set a goal to bench 405 by may but i cant seem to get passed the sticking point...ive been stuck at 365 for 3 months...any advice would be helpful...the only supplement im currently taking is 1-ad...is there anything better for this particular problem?

edmen2 is offline Anabolic Member
    yeah, test!

should i use test with 1-ad or by itself??

edmen2 is offline Anabolic Member
    if it's ur first cycle i would recommend test only with proper pct.

thanks edmen2. ill try that

Mesomorphyl is offline Smart Ass Member
    I also have two words... dogg crapp... How you train is important, some use h i t and some use other methods. I just started doggcrapp training. Also if you give some stats then we can help you design a cycle.

Fat Guy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peyton18
    i am currently bench pressing 325 for sets of 6 and maxing out around 365...i set a goal to bench 405 by may but i cant seem to get passed the sticking point...ive been stuck at 365 for 3 months...any advice would be helpful...the only supplement im currently taking is 1-ad...is there anything better for this particular problem?
    A couple of ways to change it up:

1.Change up your chest workout routine. Do floor benches, Dumbbells, Incline, Decline whatever you feel that works for you. Do less reps and more weight or try pyramiding your reps (8, 6, 4, and 2) while increasing the weight until you can barley get the last two. Work your chest less (once a week, maybe twice a week if you have fast recovery). Do less sets but with a hell of a lot more weight. The key to this is to always go heavy or as heavy as you can.
    2.Change your diet. Increase protein, increase carbs, and calories. Increase your supplements (creatine, glutamine, zma, ect.) or as a last stance do a cycle (do a lot of research before this last recommendation).

Just some thoughts, I hope it works out for you.

BigJames is offline Senior Member
    First load the bar with four 45s per side...then lie down under the bar...then press the bar. Sorry. I would agree with everything mentioned above. I would try the training suggestions before using the Test.

i do alot of incline and decline barbell presses (3 sets of each for about 6 reps each) then do one last set heavy for like 2 reps...for dumbell presses the golds gym that im at only goes up to 125's so i use those for about 12 reps, 4 sets...im 5'11 and 240 lbs not sure % of bf but its not too high(im not a fat guy) im 22 years old and have been training for appx. 7 years...i work chest every 6 days...

CARNIVORE is offline Associate Member
    You don't need drugs to break your sticking point bro, its the way your training. I have trained with some world class power lifters. PM me your upper body workouts then I can help you out.

CARNIVORE

i do alot of incline and decline barbell presses (3 sets of each for about 6 reps each) then do one last set heavy for like 2 reps...for dumbell presses the golds gym that im at only goes up to 125's so i use those for about 12 reps, 4 sets...im 5'11 and 240 lbs not sure % of bf but its not too high(im not a fat guy) im 22 years old and have been training for appx. 7 years...i work chest every 6 days...
    You can not be the Fat Guy because I am the fat guy ...J/K

Do less exercises and more weight and by summer you should be hitting 405… also, negative reps help. Good luck
    FG

negatives is something i havent thought about doing...thanks fatguy...i cant believe i overlooked them

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    goto the powerlifting forum. read up on westside barbell train

train your lats more and learn to bench like a powerlifter (i can only assume your not one or you wouldnt have posted this)

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet

ya blown has some good articles posted..id read them

thanks blown...this is exactly what i was looking for...i guess i really need to clean up my form...

Hed
    Hed is offline Senior Member
    Blown, awesome post. Never seen that before.

Glock-19 is offline Banned
    You need to work out your tricepts if you want to improve your bench. No steroid can help without proper training. You say you rep 325 6 times but cant get 370 up? sounds fishy to me. You should be maxin out at 400 at least if you rep 325 6 times. Mabe the weight just looks heavy to you. You need to have a buddy spot you so you can get some negatives in on your bench. That helps me get sore every time. Key is if your not feelin sore the next day your not pushin yourself enough. Tear that **** up!!

superchump is offline Junior Member

this will work: very heavy negatives. i went from 300 to 350 without doing anything different, but the weight gotta be so heavy you have a hard tiome even lowering it. after youve maxed add 10 pounds to the bar and lower it once as slow as you can. then add 5 more pounds and do it again. and another 5 and so on until you reach a weight you can hardly lower which for you will be around 400. dangerous but it works. you definately dont want to try this without going thru some serious sets first and being very warmed up. dont bench more then once a week and dont train more then 3 days a week. make sure your using alot of creatine and carbs especially after your workouts. make sure the '' arms' on the bench your using place the bar to where your arms are almost outstreched, this is where your most powerful, with arms at almost full lockout.

Quote Originally Posted by superchump
    this will work: very heavy negatives. i went from 300 to 350 without doing anything different, but the weight gotta be so heavy you have a hard tiome even lowering it. after youve maxed add 10 pounds to the bar and lower it once as slow as you can. then add 5 more pounds and do it again. and another 5 and so on until you reach a weight you can hardly lower which for you will be around 400. dangerous but it works. you definately dont want to try this without going thru some serious sets first and being very warmed up. dont bench more then once a week and dont train more then 3 days a week. make sure your using alot of creatine and carbs especially after your workouts. make sure the '' arms' on the bench your using place the bar to where your arms are almost outstreched, this is where your most powerful, with arms at almost full lockout.
    That sounds like a good technique to do when your by yourself. Im gonna give it a try.
    I usually rest 4 days between chest and 3 days between back. All depends on how sore you get IMO.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    that is totally wrong. If you want your max bench to go up, you need to work in light, fast, explosive movements along with your heavy sets. You also need to train your tris with motions similar to the bench press, which include heavy weighted dips and close grip bench. Also, train your back in the same plane that you train your chest... in otherwords, less pulldowns and more rows.

Do a websearch or search the site for west side barbell. These guys have training for big numbers down to a science.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Guy
    A couple of ways to change it up:

1.Change up your chest workout routine. Do floor benches, Dumbbells, Incline, Decline whatever you feel that works for you. Do less reps and more weight or try pyramiding your reps (8, 6, 4, and 2) while increasing the weight until you can barley get the last two. Work your chest less (once a week, maybe twice a week if you have fast recovery). Do less sets but with a hell of a lot more weight. The key to this is to always go heavy or as heavy as you can.
    Just some thoughts, I hope it works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude-Man
    that is totally wrong. If you want your max bench to go up, you need to work in light, fast, explosive movements along with your heavy sets. You also need to train your tris with motions similar to the bench press, which include heavy weighted dips and close grip bench. Also, train your back in the same plane that you train your chest... in otherwords, less pulldowns and more rows.

Do a websearch or search the site for west side barbell. These guys have training for big numbers down to a science.
    Dam I learned alot today, cant wait to do chest tomorro.

djgoodspeed is offline Junior Member
    Also, train your back in the same plane that you train your chest... in otherwords, less pulldowns and more rows.
    Chins and Rows, couldn't agree more here.

could be totally wrong but it will add 50 pounds to your bench. glock19 definately dont try it alone, you may get stuck under the weights. at least if your going solo dont put collars on the bar .

anaBROLIC is offline Only The Strong Survive
    thats my goal for next cycle.. last cycle i was able to max at 385 for 2 reps.. but for some reason 405 felt like lifting a house and couldnt get 1 rep... i want 425 this time!

supplementsavvy is offline Junior Member
    Read up on bench press technique, there's actually a lot more technique than most people realize. If your technique isn't right on, perfecting it could allow you to bump up the weights.

I think technique is often overlooked..look at Olympic style weightlifting, 120 pound women being able to lift more weight than most 250 pound guys could, it's obvious that technique is huge.

I never said anything about heavy negatives, maybe you should've checked who i was quoting in the reply instead of automatically assuming i was talking about you.

I was saying that going heavy all the time is the biggest mistake you can make when trying to improve your bench press.

Quote Originally Posted by superchump
    could be totally wrong but it will add 50 pounds to your bench. glock19 definately dont try it alone, you may get stuck under the weights. at least if your going solo dont put collars on the bar .
    Last edited by Dude-Man; 03-11-2005 at 05:33 PM.

Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    yah - DC negatives are a bitch but really helped - I am looking into the westside stuff as an occasional switchup

Dude-Man why do I got to be totally wrong … Why can I be partially wrong or you disagree with some of the things I said, but no I got to be totally wrong… God what a looser I am… excuse me why I go put a bullet in my head…

However, I agree with what you are saying… it is important to do quick movements and seriously, train tries… I train with a partner who is ranked 10 in the nation for bench, he does heavy sets, and then a few days later he does what he calls dynamic chest day where he does quick movements for chest…. I think I did not explain as well as I could have about chest… I just pointed out the key point in increasing bench, which is to go heavy… BTW Dude-Man you look like a big guy I was wondering what your bench max bench is? Last august I was hitting 435 and doing 3 reps with 405. I quit for a couple of months due to workload increase and my bench fell badly. Now I have been training for an upcoming comp and I am slowly working my way back up to the 400lbs range…

fat guy im curious to know what your partner's max bench is being #10 in the nation..

fat guy im curious to know what your partner's max bench is being #10 in the nation..
    Around 280lbs, which does not sound like a lot, but when you weigh around 120lbs it is just a little over twice your body weight (2.3 to 2.4) you are pushing… not to mention not that many little guys do powerlifting events. Now for my weight category I would have to be pushing somewhere between 500lbs to 600lbs to rank even close to the top 10. I do not know many ppl who can lift more than twice their own body weight naturally. I give my friend much props because he doesn’t even weigh a buck and a quarter but he nearly pushes 300lbs and he trains intensely.

280 @ 120 is freakin nuts...thats like my sister benching 280...i give your boy mad props

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Guy
    … God what a looser I am……
    looser??? keep things out of your ass then man

haha..jk

Quote Originally Posted by Billy_Bathgate
    looser??? keep things out of your ass then man

haha..jk
    Dam it! Not only am I Totally Wrong in this thread, but now I am being told by a guy who has a little donkey for an avatar and who has named himself after a ballet dancing Irish kid (oh wait that is Billy Elliot) that my ass is loose… Hmmm

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    280 @ 120 is freakin nuts...thats like my sister benching 280...i give your boy mad props
    ha reminds me of a lil lifting buddy about 5ft2 or less prolly alot less actually, and as wide as a house.. he weighed 135 n' had a 365press natural but was super shy and timid and wouldnt compete in any comps... wat a waste

I never said anything about heavy negatives, maybe you should've checked who i was quoting in the reply instead of automatically assuming i was talking about you.

I was saying that going heavy all the time is the biggest mistake you can make when trying to improve your bench press.
    woops, my mistake.

Sorry for the wording, I tend to bother people without meaning it sometimes with the way i phrase things. I don't do flat bench terribly often, and i don't train for weight, but i can do 8-10 reps with 275.. which should put me somewhere around 350 @185. Not bad for all natural.
    Last edited by Dude-Man; 03-13-2005 at 03:37 AM.

Bench takes time, stay away from injuries, they will slow you down.
    My best in 1993 at age 20 530lbs in the gym and 230kg (506lbs) in competition. Back then the world records wasnt too far for juniors (age18-23) I am 5'9.5 and was around 275lbs takind deca ,prop,enanth, somehwere around 1,200mg total per week.

Moosepellet is offline Member
    If Fatguys boy weighs 120lbs and benches 280lbs, I wonder where my old roomate would be in the nation. He was 165lb bench 315lb for 7reps, seen it with my own eyes. Couldn't believe it, strongest man I have ever met in the bench.

Thats a good bench for 165lbs almost 2 X bodyweight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information