newbrew is offline Senior Member

Nurse on CNN didnt aspirate

There was a quick story on older males (50+) receiving testosterone thearpy to help with the side effects of low test levels.

Anywho, they showed the nurse giving the shot (which she jammed in, rather than slowly inserting) and then not aspirating. Ive never really noticed, maybe its because the 1 or 2 times ive received glute shots at the doctor I wasnt staring back at them, but is not aspirating the glute standard practice?

I realize aspirating is a very good idea, but is it REALLY something you should do for the glute? Or is it to just satisfy paranoia? Im not sure there are even any veins in the gluteus maximus other than the gluteal artery which is near the sciatic nerve I think?

Any of you have any medical knowledge on what veins or arteries actually exist in the gluteus maximus region?

Thanks

Thegr8One is offline Senior Member
    always aspirate the nurse screwed up

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    There are not really that many major blood vessels in the correct site for a glute injection. Still, might as well aspirate , it only takes a second or two.

DrugsrGood is offline Associate Member
    Regardless, it wont take up too much of your precious time...

longhorn814 is offline Anabolic Member
    i received allergy shots in my tris for 15 years and not once did a nurse or doc ever aspirate !

1-Cent is offline Anabolic Member
    I've never seen my doctor aspirate when he gives me a shot.. sometimes I want to mention it, but I think that would blow my cover lol

newbrew is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhorn814
    i received allergy shots in my tris for 15 years and not once did a nurse or doc ever aspirate!
    Thats why I question the validity of actually aspirating at the glute. I understand mistakes can be made, but if you are confident on the spot....

I still aspirate everytime, but shooting the left glute is VERY hard for me to aspirate by myself, it usually ends up in a very sore ass due to all the moving I have to do in order to get it done. My right is easy only because I can actually do the process one handed with the right hand, unlike the left.

Its like the idea of using an alcohol swab for an IM injection. Talk to someone who will tell you the truth, and they will tell you that swabbing a site for an IM injection is pretty much voodoo. Its more or less done to just give the patient the added comfort.

longhorn814 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-Cent
    I've never seen my doctor aspirate when he gives me a shot.. sometimes I want to mention it, but I think that would blow my cover lol
    if you really want to freak out the doc or nurse, ask them if you can give the shot to yourself!!

1-Cent is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhorn814
    if you really want to freak out the doc or nurse, ask them if you can give the shot to yourself!!
    I've thought about doing that so many times bro

seanw is offline Banned
    I asked about that and they do actually aspirate , they just do it so quickly and with just a flick of the thumb, you need almost no pressure to aspirate

Meso is offline Junior Member
    I seen a show on discovery magazine about test for male birth control, the nurse did a thigh shot, she asperiated but slammed the test e right down within about 2 seconds.
    Looked like it hurt!

dive_kid is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seanw
    I asked about that and they do actually aspirate, they just do it so quickly and with just a flick of the thumb, you need almost no pressure to aspirate
    I asked the same question and got the sam answer.
    all they do is basicly touch it. it does not take much
    pull to see the bubble

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seanw
    I asked about that and they do actually aspirate, they just do it so quickly and with just a flick of the thumb, you need almost no pressure to aspirate
    My doc said the same thing. Also said you don't really need to aspirate your glutes cause their ain't nothing to hit.

Takes only a second, so I do it anyway.

righton is offline Senior Member
    Aspirating is a outdated nuses practice(according to various med texts and practioners) that is slowly being wained in the med community which is why most docs don't do it and a lot of nurses don't do it when there are a lot of ppl to vaccinate (like flu season here in Fl).

BUYLONGTERM is offline Anabolic Member
    When I get my HRT shots from my DR, he never aspirates. I asked him why and he said, he's done so many shots, that he knows exactly where to shoot. But, for a beginner, I still say it's a good idea to do it.

Mesomorphyl is offline Smart Ass Member
    Quote Originally Posted by righton
    Aspirating is a outdated nuses practice(according to various med texts and practioners) that is slowly being wained in the med community which is why most docs don't do it and a lot of nurses don't do it when there are a lot of ppl to vaccinate (like flu season here in Fl).
    I think it is a time issue as well, when getting pain injection when in hospital they just jammed into quad and shot. I thought WTF and about 5 seconds later I was slurring my words(100mg demerol).

Righton: my second favorite smart ass(I am my own favorite), you going to wait until your a senior member before putting up an avatar? I waited until anabolic membership kicked in.

righton is offline Senior Member
    Righton: my second favorite smart ass(I am my own favorite), you going to wait until your a senior member before putting up an avatar? I waited until anabolic membership kicked in. [/QUOTE]

I find one for my 1000th post.lol.

GetinBig is offline Anabolic Member
    Always aspirate ..

Thread Information