nate3422 is offline Member

how much sleep is enough?

just curious guys how much sleep is enough? i dont want to be getting to much but dont want to be getting not enough. so what do you guys think?

Beefkake31 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nate3422
    just curious guys how much sleep is enough? i dont want to be getting to much but dont want to be getting not enough. so what do you guys think?
    7-7:30 hours is good for a normal human being and 8-9 for intense bodybuilders.

XxElitexX is offline Senior Member
    i feel i need 9 hrs to get good rest and recovery...even though i usually get 8, maybe.

bowie is offline Member
    more sleep, more healing. On a heavy cycle I try to get 9 or 10 hours/day, then a nap sometime during the day, right after a workout and a meal.

ok i just dont want to get too much sleep

joevette is offline Banned
    9-10hrs every night, no exceptions

GetinBig is offline Anabolic Member
    I am sleeping right now..

8-10 is good.

maxmuscle187 is offline Senior Member
    6-8 for me

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Sleep is definately good on-cycle, just make sure if you do it during the day its not for longer than 3 hours and get a good meal in right before and after.

The Baron is offline Fourth Koala of the Apocalypse
    If you CAN sleep, then you SHOULD sleep. That rule of thumb seems to work pretty good.

djgoodspeed is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GetinBig
    I am sleeping right now..

8-10 is good.
    Agreed! Need more, than get more.

Danbrooks2k is offline Member
    all I do is wake up, go to the gym, come home and eat and sleep all day and all night... and attend to my webmastering job... occasionally I hit the beach for an hour or so... been working so far, since this is a new development for me...

Juddman is offline Anabolic Member
    I've learned in bio psych classes this year that sleep is highly subjective. Everyone has a different level that satisfies their needs. Us as bodybuilders/strength trainers generally need more than the "normal" range. I usually feel great with 8-9 but I usually take a power nap in the afternoon too.

Quote Originally Posted by Danbrooks2k
    all I do is wake up, go to the gym, come home and eat and sleep all day and all night... and attend to my webmastering job... occasionally I hit the beach for an hour or so... been working so far, since this is a new development for me...
    Sounds like quite the life man! Wish I had a beach around here...

for real what a life lol

creepS is offline Banned
    when is the best time to go to sleep in the evening. i know question sounds dumb, but when do you think is the hour one shouldnt be awake?

Quote Originally Posted by creepS
    when is the best time to go to sleep in the evening. i know question sounds dumb, but when do you think is the hour one shouldnt be awake?
    I dont think there would be a solid answer for this. It would depend on what time you have to get up IMO. If you you have to get up at 8am, go to sleep at 12am, etc. But this is all subjective...you might get tired one day at 9pm and other at 1am..I just do my best to get 8 -9 hours every night.

CARNIVORE is offline Associate Member
    8 hours and a nap

EatRite is offline Senior Member
    8-10... i would recomend waking up in the middle ofthe night for some protein though... or a meal... if you are sleeping for 10 hours at a time without food your body will not grow as quickly because you are not in an anabolic stage for about 4-6 of those hours (depending on what you ate before bedtime)... if you arent going to wake up in the middle of the nite for food, eat redmeat before bed or casien protein... they are very slow releasing proteins...

i would recomend sleeping for 8 hours at nite, with a mid sleep protein shake (40-50 g) and then taking a 1.5 hour nap in the afternoon... you just want to make sure you are getting food in yoru body every 4 hours.... at least...

I've heard stuff like every hour youre awake past 12am you lose an hour from your total sleep..but I don't necessarily believe it. Your body adapts to whatever sleep cycle you get into. Some people work nights and sleep days, your body adapts.

I am lucky to get 6 to 7 hours a night. I am always tired and just whooped after the WO. Ciet la vie. You just make do with what you have. I seem to grow just fine.

big daddy k de is offline Senior Member
    8-9 if i dont get sleep i feel like ****

bigcut77 is offline Associate Member
    I usually get 6 hours and then a nap later in the day before the gym.

Mesomorphyl is offline Smart Ass Member
    8 hours or more. If I could take naps everyday I would. But I would make them for at least 2 hours so you get a bit of gh release. Plus don't you just feel better if you nap a few hours compared to less than a couple?

Feen is offline New Member
    i get about 4-6 hours every night... i should sleep more haha

fballhoss51 is offline Senior Member
    6 hours at night, 30 mins in all 7 classes of the day, 1 hour when i get home

creepS is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Juddman
    I've heard stuff like every hour youre awake past 12am you lose an hour from your total sleep..but I don't necessarily believe it. Your body adapts to whatever sleep cycle you get into. Some people work nights and sleep days, your body adapts.
    yes,ive heard this too,thats why i was asking the question.
    i just had 8 hour sleep ,feel like a new man!

PT
    PT is offline DUNAMIS ~ AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    how the hell do some of you get 9-10 hours of sleep. it just not possible for me. id have to go to bed at 9 everynight. id seriously have to quite my job and give up my social life to get that much sleep. im happy with my 4-5 hours a night.

I can only do it certain times of the year. Right now, I'm a student...ealiest class I have is 2:30pm...I work as well, but only part-time during school. So those two days I have to get up early..other than that, my life is a real beauty right now with respect to sleeping in.

China Dawg is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up Sleep rule of thumb

I usually try to get at least 8 hours of sleep each night, especially when training hard, but 9 hours is better for me.

I have a good rule of thumb that I follow - if you NEED the alarm clock to wake you up every morning, then chances are that you weren't done sleeping and need to get to bed earlier. Your body kind of has an internal alarm clock of its own that will get you up at the same time each morning once it's a habit. But if you need a buzzer to actually get you up and interrupt your sleep, then I don't think you were really done sleeping and probably didn't get enough rest. If you're not waking up naturally, then maybe you need to go to bed earlier... works for me.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    5 or 6 hours a night.

8 hours and I'm all set

I've been knocking out anywhere from 9 to 11 hours of sleep a night lately. Makes me feel like a lzy bastard but I seem to still be growing so I'm happy.

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    I get about 5-6 and maybe a 2hr nap after work before the gym. Does the nap count??

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Mike
    I get about 5-6 and maybe a 2hr nap after work before the gym. Does the nap count??
    Love the naps...they count for sure.

AVAGO is offline Member
    I should be sleeping now i gotta be up in 4 hours .

EatRite is offline Senior Member
    if you are sleeping more than 6-7 hours... do you guys wake up in the middle of the night for some protein???

naps definately count... there is nothing like eating a huge meal, taking a 1.5 hour nap and then waking up, eating a banana, apple and some whey protein and then goign to the gym... feels unbelievable...

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatRite
    if you are sleeping more than 6-7 hours... do you guys wake up in the middle of the night for some protein???

naps definately count... there is nothing like eating a huge meal, taking a 1.5 hour nap and then waking up, eating a banana, apple and some whey protein and then goign to the gym... feels unbelievable...
    It does feel great to hit the gym after a nap. I pop 2 caffeine pills, 20gprotein and i'm off.

I use a nighttime whey formula and flax to slow down the digestive process for night time. Cant tell if its working but I like to think it does something.

Quote Originally Posted by EatRite

I love that feeling too. No, I don't get up in the night for protein. I feel that the quality uninterupted sleep is more important than the protein break...I've tried, didn't like it, couldn't get back to sleep for a while. If you can do it effectively, why not...

Thread Information