jjgym is offline New Member

Fina Filtering question

A quick Fina filtering question. Is filtering twice (coffee filter/whartmans) really necessary?

After filtering (solution/disolved pellets/oil) through the coffee filter portion stage the product already looks "golden" in color, clean/clear in the vial with no visible glue binders making it thru the coffee filter. After all the gunk portion stays in the coffee filter.

Is it really necessary to use the whartmans and filter the product again. I know it won't hurt to do this, but im questioning if it is "really truly" necessary to do or just done more for a safety precaution? All input appreciated, thanks.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    yes it is necessary if you ask me. Whty would you even think of short cutting it a step. The whatman filter the oil/solution with "micron" filter. Do you honestly think that the coffee filter can do this???
    abstrack@protonmail.com

The Baron is offline Fourth Koala of the Apocalypse
    If you don't run it through the whatman, there will be a lot of debris in it. If you don't believe me, strain through a coffee filter and then let it sit undisturbed for a couple of weeks. Then look at the stuff that settled out. Better yet, filter it with the whatman just cause I said so, then cut upen the whatman and examine the filter element. If you shoot that stuff in your butt you will probably get an abscess sooner rather than later.

Froggy is offline Member
    IMHO...you only put it through the coffee filter so it will more easily remove the rest of the story with the whatman...In other words...you don't want to clog your whatman...that's where the real work is being done...happy filtering...

The Baron is offline Fourth Koala of the Apocalypse
    Quote Originally Posted by Froggy
    IMHO...you only put it through the coffee filter so it will more easily remove the rest of the story with the whatman...In other words...you don't want to clog your whatman...that's where the real work is being done...happy filtering...
    Exactly. There is waaaaay too much for the whatman to do it alone. The coffee filter gets the big stuff that would immediately clog the whatman, and the whatman gets the stuff small enough to pass right through the coffee filter.

you should be using a .45 and a .2 filter......

.2 is the standard for sterility .... our kits come with both.

Thread Information