filter123 is offline Junior Member

cleaning injection sites

what do you guys use???

rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide???

I've been using hydrogen peroxide and its been working great, no problems.

List what you use to clean the injection site. Also, indicate if you've ever had an infection (hehe)

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    alcohol. I really like the burn, seriously, something is wrong with me i think

1-Cent is offline Anabolic Member
    I've used hydrogen peroxide since my first inject and I've never had an infection

lzicc is offline Senior Member
    I used disposible alcohol pads. Quick and easy.

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    I inject after showering, as alcohol prep pads basically will smear bacteria around and not "kill" much. The alcohol pad does help you see how clean the area is and from there your chances of picking up an infection are greatly reduced imo.

fitnessNY is offline Senior Member
    I use BD alcohol pads, so far no problems

Danbrooks2k is offline Member
    ive used nothing for years and never got infected, but after hanging out on this board a while I started using the alchohol pads and sepreate needles to draw and inject with... yadda yadda...

I am sure either is fine

filter123 is offline Junior Member
    the border bandit even posted in my topic!! yes!!

OneEyedJohnny is offline Junior Member
    H2O2 has shown little effectiveness against killing bacteria prior to injection due to poor penetration of the epithelium (skin), takes several minutes to become bacteriocidal because the oxygen has to chemically separate from the hydrogen before it can kill anything (you have to wait several minutes after swabbing to inject), and can actually oxidize your skin (ever use it to swish with after dental surgery? It turns your gums white eventually, or use it on a cut and look at the skin around the cut, it will turn white) which will cause localized inflammation and actually increase your risk for infection. For instance, if you have an inflammatory process (ie-pancreatitis, gastritis, etc) your doctor will prescribe antibiotics to prevent infection from occurring ... same applies here. Don't misunderstand me though, it is good for a cut because a large amout of bacteria has entered an opening in your skin, but its not good to use prior to a self-inflicted wound such as a needle stick.

Bacteria actually live in the first 3-4 layers of your skin, not just on the top!!! You have 7 layers of skin.

Actual proven antimicrobials include:

Povodone-Iodine, decent penetration of skin, one of the least effective antimicrobials, is a scrub so it must be washed off (kind of like soap). Note: must scrub for several minutes to be effective, a quick wash and rinse won't work here.

Alcohol, penetrates to the 2nd layer of skin, kills a large number of bacteria (not all bacteria, but most of the nasty bacteria), and is effective within seconds.

Chlorhexidine, penetrates to the 5th layer of skin (can get to wherever the bacteria can hide), most effective "instant" antimicrobial, and is effective within seconds ... unfortunately at this point of time it is not available to the public. I get it from work, you guys could probably try dating a nurse to get some and some free needles and syringes too ... lol. Sh*t she might give you your injections too.

Chlorhexidine scrub (Hibiclens), most effective antimicrobial, same several minute wash like Povodone-Iodine scrub (not a wash n' rinse). Available through pharmacies.

Please note that Chlorhexidine mouthwash (used for gingivitis) is a lower concentration than the Chlorhexidine wipes or scrub, therefore rendering it not as effective for use on your skin ... it can't be as concentrated since it is used on the mucus membranes in the mouth. I figured I would mention this since I am sure somebody has some sitting at home and is going to ask "can I use this on my skin?". Oral Chlorhexidine Mouth wash is also marketed under the brandname Peridex ... so don't ask!

One Eye
    Last edited by OneEyedJohnny; 03-30-2005 at 03:27 PM.

Magnum II is offline Associate Member
    yep, good old fashioned alcohol pads for me. Never had a problem.

zuke is offline Member
    i just spit on my thumb and rub it clean...

Thread Information