Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bust in NJ

MBaraso is offline Retired Mod

Bust in NJ

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?...d2cWVlRUV5eTM=

Thursday, March 24, 2005

By DOUGLASS CROUSE
    STAFF WRITER

PEQUANNOCK - Interviews with several teenagers allegedly tied to a steroid distribution ring could yield additional charges as early as today, police said Wednesday.

For months, authorities say, ringleader Eric Makatics had anabolic steroids shipped to UPS boxes in Pequannock and Cedar Grove, then retrieved and split up the drugs for sale.

Police say his network of buyers included high school students but also branched beyond township borders.

In acquiring the drugs, the 21-year-old township man allegedly took advantage of a modern-day loophole: Steroids are illegal in the United States without a prescription but can be bought from foreign companies over the Internet.

Following a two-year investigation, police arrested Makatics and two other township residents during a vehicle stop on March 1, seizing a mail package containing 100 glass vials of steroids, Detective Lt. Daniel Dooley said. Also arrested was Vincent Pignatiello Jr., 19, a former high school football player, and a high school student charged as a juvenile.

Other high school students could face charges this week, Dooley said. He added that the ring's customer base extended to other towns but declined to say which. Investigators are looking into whether any sales took place on high school property.

"Right now, there's no indication that [Makatics] was sitting outside the school and targeting students," Dooley said.

Pequannock High School Principal Richard Garibell did not return calls for comment.

More than 500,000 teenagers use steroids or some other performance-enhancing drug, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse.

A simple Internet search for anabolic steroids turns up dozens of Web sites selling the drugs. Many operate out of China, Mexico or other countries with looser drug laws. Police have declined to say where the Pequannock drugs came from.

Many users mistakenly believe steroids will make them better athletes without side effects, said Victor Naumov, a New Milford chiropractor who speaks about the health risks of steroids through his National Coalition for the Advancement of Drug-Free Athletics.

"Steroids may increase your size and strength and speed but they will not improve skills" such as hand-eye coordination and balance, he said.

Some of the teenagers being questioned this week are athletes, but not all, Dooley said. In 2003, a high school student charged with steroid possession said getting muscles fast was his aim. He recently told police Makatics had sold him the drugs, Dooley said.

"His answer at the time was he wasn't doing it for sports enhancement. He was using it to look good," Dooley said.

Makatics, who lost his driver's license last year for possessing drugs in a motor vehicle, relied on teenagers to drive him to Cedar Grove to pick up the packages, Dooley said. In return, the teens typically would receive cash or drugs, police said.

Police found another package at the Cedar Grove Post Office earlier this week, which they said contained similar drug materials.

Teenagers who simply drove Makatics to the post office likely will not be charged as long as they cooperate with investigators, Dooley said. Pignatiello, who lives across the street from Makatics, was charged with possession and intent to distribute drugs.

Neither man could be reached for comment.

Makatics likely will face additional charges of employing juveniles in a drug distribution network. He is currently free after posting $10,000 bail, while Pignatiello was released on his own recognizance to his family.

In 2003, police began tracking the ring's activities after getting a tip about an Internet-based shipping scheme in town. Makatics eventually caught on and moved his post office box out of town to evade police, Dooley said.

A drug bust in Boston two months ago put police back on the trail. Investigators with the U.S. Postal Inspector's Office started sharing information between Boston and Pequannock, which led local police back to Makatics' mailbox, police said.

Police said a search of Makatics' home turned up more steroids, prescription drugs, packaging supplies, fireworks and hypodermic needles. Police also seized his home computer, which they believe he used to buy the drugs online.

Last week, members of Congress grilled several professional baseball players about steroid use . And in last year's Olympic games in Athens, two dozen athletes were thrown out after missing drug tests or testing positive for steroids or other performance-enhancing drugs.

newbrew is offline Senior Member
    Whats up with all the NJ busts? Lots of juicers in jersey or what?

Quote Originally Posted by newbrew
    Whats up with all the NJ busts? Lots of juicers in jersey or what?
    Northeast part of the country is notorious for steriods . Atleast where I'm at anyway.
    Their gonna crusify that 21 yr old....

ironfist is offline Elite Hall Of Fame ~ RIP ~
    I'm trying to think of who the boston bust was...I'll bet it's a familiar name

Quote Originally Posted by ironfist
    I don't remember any recent bust's in boston.

moush is offline Senior Member
    yea im from North Jersey too......its all the Guidos juicing in our area

colossus1 is offline Member
    rule number 1: Young kids have big mouths.......he was a fu*kin idiot to sell to highschool kids.

He was prabably bulk ordering international, left and right.......having them all go to the same PO box.

jerseyboy is offline Anabolic Member
    Good thing they got that hardened criminal off the street. What a menace.

They were probably into other things. I have one friend with a felony drug trafficing conviction and another with 3rd degree charges pending trial. Neither of them were targeted for dealing steroids . It was the ecstasy, coke, and Ketamine that got em busted. In both cases the steroids that were confiscated never made it to evidence.

Diesel is offline Anabolic Member
    Any source that deals in rec drugs are bad news.

colossus1 is offline Member
    Dunno, i think the article would have mentioned rec drugs if any were found.

chinups Guest
    Dirty Jerseeeeeeeeeeeeeey

Quote Originally Posted by colossus1
    Dunno, i think the article would have mentioned rec drugs if any were found.
    True true, they'd get more media attention that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel
    Any source that deals in rec drugs are bad news.
    Yeah but my bro learned his lesson, he's straight up now, doesn't even drink. Weekends in the big house will do that to you.

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    man this is getting to close to home for me.

Hed
    Hed is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxxr
    man this is getting to close to home for me.
    join the club

big daddy k de is offline Senior Member
    yhea bro big busts goin on ...and u know what sux i live the next town over for where that bust took place. an i actualy know the guy that got busted ,....sux for him

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    on a side note who plucked that 500,00 figure out of their ass on High School users, I hate that ****.

Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    on a side note who plucked that 500,00 figure out of their ass on High School users, I hate that ****.
    I think the media has a formula for that. Take the number of actual steroid users and multiply by 100,000. If that doesn't get ratings up try multiplying by 200,000.

newbrew is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseyboy
    I think the media has a formula for that. Take the number of actual steroid users and multiply by 100,000. If that doesn't get ratings up try multiplying by 200,000.
    Its called Statistics..aka bull****.

After taking stats it really helps me appreciate how full of **** some people are when it comes to studies.

They probably got the % of HS students at one HS, and used that as a figure to represent the entire unites states HS population.

They probably used a HS up there in Jersey

As a parent myself I can understand other parents being concerned over the sale of steroids to high school kids. The thing that pisses me off is the media could care less if these kids get sick or even kill themselves, it's all about getting the story and ratings to them which in the end is just all about the money. They like to act concerned but it's all smoke and mirrors. The don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by moush
    yea im from North Jersey too......its all the Guidos juicing in our area
    Seaside has its fair share of juicers in the summer

Lozgod is offline Anabolic Member
    Another 2 year investigation.

simster1 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottythebody
    Seaside has its fair share of juicers in the summer
    Yeah they are from North Jersey

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    pretty sure it ends in o.

Quote Originally Posted by ironfist

Quote Originally Posted by simster1
    I guess they all migrate to temptations for the summer. Thats the only club I have ever been too where almost every guy weighs at least 225 and is wearing capris

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    Im from jersey, and we def havve a big pupulated juicer community, ANd yes i will be at t empts and surf club this summer, and yes i will be wearing capris, and yes i will love every second of it!!!!!!!!!!1

They are also from NY

GridIronDevil is offline Associate Member
    lmao...guys should not wear capris...thats gay if you ask me i dont care how big you are.

Blog Entries
    lol

Danbrooks2k is offline Member
    yeah I grew up with kids like that... all drove IROC's and all wore sweat pants pulled up to thier knees, and all had that doofy mullet that was permed in the back...

They all have nice breasts now, and lots of back hair...

I guess they all migrate to temptations for the summer. Thats the only club I have ever been too where almost every guy weighs at least 225 and is wearing capris
    Precisely why I stay far away from "Sleaside" and the "Jersey Sewer" as we locals call it, especially in the summer time. What a circus.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseyboy
    Precisely why I stay far away from "Sleaside" and the "Jersey Sewer" as we locals call it, especially in the summer time. What a circus.
    this is so true i have not been to sleaside in 15 years.

Geeezer is offline Senior Member
    Im so glade I live is South NJ ..
    No juicers down here>>>>

Cant wait for temps!!!!!!!

Cant wait for temps!!!!!!!
    I used to hang in Temps about 7 or 8 years ago. I'm a little too old for that seen now. It was definitely fun though. No capris then, it was all lycra shirts and huge baggy Jnco jeans. Good times.
    Last edited by jerseyboy; 04-03-2005 at 04:47 PM.

I feel you its like on the back of the test bottle it has the temps address

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    Im in South Jersey...and if i sat down and thought about it, could probably name at least 50 kids who when I was in highschool, juiced. My highschool is still overrun with kids juicing, and its mostly kids in their junior year of HS. Juice is HUGE in my south jersey town...Its not just high school kids though, I know of several cops around here who juice as well, and some firefighters. I really wish that the police would waste 2 years trying to bust coke dealers, rather then juice dealers. Coke dealers, who sell to coke addicts, who end up breaking into your house to get money for their next fix, or end up killing some poor innocent old lady, so they can get $20 for their next 20 bag. But I guess trying to enhance your physique is a crime thats equally burdening society.

dgthekid is offline Junior Member
    theres a nice little juicer community down here in atlantic city, south jersey an north jersey should just b different states, they basically r already

ire
    ire is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lozgod
    Another 2 year investigation.

Thats exactly what I thought!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information