Thread: hernia

ns4433 is offline Junior Member

hernia

i have a hernia developing right now, i hasnt popped out yet but my doc said it could at anytime and just continue lifting, im mid cycle right now so im not doing dead lifts or swuats because i dont want to knock myself out of the weight room, i think im going to get the surgery first thing in the fall, it will knock me out for around 4 weeks i believe, anyone have this surgery? what can i take to preserve muscle, i was thinking taking some clen , any ideas??

dtr98 is offline Member
    was out for 6 wks

legobricks is offline Retired AR Monitor
    i wouldnt lift at all if i were you, wouldnt want to chance it, and yes, my gramps had a hurnea and so did my cousin, both out for bout 6 weeks after surgery but everyones different.

I have one now...waiting on seeing the doc...takes so long to get in nowadays. I am still lifting but stopped doing deads and squats. I am very careful not to push it. Would like to put off surgery until the fall/winter when I don't mind wasting away as much. I feel your pain.

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    get it done NOW 4-6 weeks isn't too bad of a layoff you will have june,july,august

Josey Wales is offline Associate Member
    I had one for awhile before getting it fixed. It was a long time ago, but 6 weeks reccovery sounds about right. Even then, you still have to come back slowly.

That said, although the safe route is to get it taken care of, there are some types of hernias that don't require immediate surgery. I've heard of guys living with them for years. I had mine a long time before doing anything about it. It just depends on how bad it is and whether you can live it. It's true that if you don't do anything about it right away, you will have to be more careful. You'll need to listen closely to how your body is reacting to your lifts and be willing to drop the weight at the first sign of pain. Good luck.

Scooby1 is offline Member
    is it a ventral, hiatal(sp?) or a pubic hernia?

I have had a ventral hernia(its located between my upper abs) for 2 yrs now, as long as I don't gorge myself on food or water, I am fine. It has never really effect my workouts. Hope all goes well.

legobricks is offline Retired AR Monitor
    i kinda know the pain. i broke the bones in my right hand and i couldnt work out for like 3-4 months! i had pins put in and then taken out. there was no sense in working out just my left arm, i would have looked like hellboy!

it sucks, but once its over, gains come on QUICK
    at least they did for me!

Incharge is offline Junior Member
    if your going to continue lifting i suggest you get yourself a good belt, something that you can pull tight and snug on your waist..

ns4433 is offline Junior Member
    yeh ive been waring a belt and doing what i can, im on gear right now so stopping would be a tradegy to me, im hoping to get through summer, where i wont be liftin extremely heavy anyway, ill get the surgery in the fall, thanks for all the help guys, as fot muscle wasting, what can i take, clen ? what would be real anti catabolic???

Thread Information