Thread: hernia...????

RAMPAGE is offline Junior Member

Question hernia...????

can you get it from bangin the weights hard????? what are the syptoms got lil pains....

eradikate is offline Senior Member
    where exactly is your pain located? lower right abdominal? or left?

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Re: hernia...????

Originally posted by RAMPAGE
    can you get it from bangin the weights hard?????
    Only if you're a landscaper.*

Seriously, yes - you can aggravate a hernia by any kind of heavy lifting, including weight lifting or circuit training. Symptoms include [according to Ethicon, manufacturer of the mesh used in a common hearnia repair procedure]:

>> Feelings of weakness, pressure, burning or pain in the abdomen, groin or scrotum
    >> A bulge or lump in the abdomen, groin or scrotum that is easier to see when you cough and disappears when you lie down
    >> Pain when straining, lifting, or coughing

Best bet: If you thnk you have one, see a doctor. Any doctor will be able to tell you with a quick exam whether you've got a hernia, and at that point you'll be referred to a general surgeon for the repair.

And yes, I'm afraid the only solution is surgical. No big whoop - I had a hernia repaired surgically just a few weeks ago. I still can't play the freakin' violin, but at least the hernia is fixed.

* That was a joke, campers. According to his profile, RAMPAGE is a landscaper.

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    TNT is right, see a doctor.

Most of the time a hernia is not a life-threatening condition; some people live with them for years. BUT, occasionally, the small intestines can get caught tand twisted in the hernia and that can get very serious very fast.

If you are diagnosed with a hernia, make sure you explore all your options; there are sevveral different methods that vary in how 'strong' the area will be in the future. Also make sure you ahve a surgeon that is expereinced in the operation.

about 5 inches in from hips on both sides these lil bumps it happened last year and went away i might just be paranoid.
    i did the laying down thing thing and there still there ..

rangerdudeleads is offline Senior Member
    i have two small lumps on each side of my love handles and doc told me he thinks its clogged up fat cells or somethin like that but when I press on mine they are a little sore but they are on both sides in same spot so I havent worried about them.

4plates is offline Banned
    if you think you have a hernia go to the dr.he can easily tell by simply fondeling your testicals,as a joke get yourself nice and hard before seeing him,he will think you are a real joker!

rangerdudeleads is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by 4plates
    if you think you have a hernia go to the dr.he can easily tell by simply fondeling your testicals,as a joke get yourself nice and hard before seeing him,he will think you are a real joker!
    LMAO, that would be hilariuos

ranger thats them bro ,,,a lil sore right .i had them last year forgot about them till this year when it happened again..maybe nothing serious

ROOKIE22 is offline Junior Member
    If you got a hernia most likely you would know it. You would have felt a slit tear in your lower abdomin. You will aslo notice a bump just below the waist line. It will also be sore when you try to lift heavy things.

Bro just go see a doc. that is the best advise anyone can give you....

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool Not necessarily . . .

Originally posted by ROOKIE22
    If you got a hernia most likely you would know it. You would have felt a slit tear in your lower abdomin. You will aslo notice a bump just below the waist line. It will also be sore when you try to lift heavy things.
    The hole might be anywhere in your abdominal wall, and you would not be aware of this except from the pain.

However, the bump is most likely not below just below your waist line, which would describe an abdominal hernia. The most common type of hernia is an inguinal hernia, for which you might feel a lump under the skin as far south as the very bottom of your adbomen, just above your penal shaft (possibly under the pubic hair, unless you're one of those really weird guys that shaves there*). You will usuqally have more pain while standing or straining, less pain when laying down.

One way or the other, any doctor will be able to diagnose it fairly easily.

*Sorry, couldn't resist.

Thread Information