ibiza69 is offline Senior Member

Arrow Flex Wheeler Myostatin Mutation

October 1, 1998

Re: Flex Wheeler

To whom it may concern:

I am writing this letter per the request of Flex Wheeler.

I would first like to briefly provide you with some background information regarding BALCO Laboratories. BALCO has been working with elite Olympic and professional athletes for over fifteen years. BALCO has provided testing and consultation for over 250 NFL players including the entire 1998 Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos team and the entire Miami Dolphins team. BALCO works with professional athletes in many sports including teenis (Michael Chang, Jim Courier, etc.), hockey, bodybuilding (10 of the 16 1998 Mr. Olympia contestants), track and field, soccer and basketball (Seattle SuperSonics).

BALCO Laboratories has been testing and monitoring Flex on a routine basis during the last year. We have performed tests including blood chemistry (SMAC), complete blood count (CBC), PSA, anabolic hormone levels, genotyping as well as comprehensive testing for nutritional elements. Flex's test results have been compared to twenty-four other professional bodybuilders and overall he has one of the healthiest profiles. Basically, Flex is in excellent health and has demonstrated the discipline necessary to maintain a peak level of conditioning.

Flex was a participant in a study we recently conducted in collaboration with the Department of Human Genetics at the University of Pittsburgh involving 62 men who made unusually large gains in muscle mass in response to strength training (extreme responders). Flex was one of only nine extreme responders that had the very rare "myostatin mutation." Myostatin is the gene that "limits muscle growth." Specifically, Flex had the rarest form of myostatin mutation at the "exon 2" position on the gene. This simply means Flex has a much larger number of muscle fibers compared to the other subjects or the normal population. We believe that these are the very first myostatin mutation findings in humans and the results of this landmark study have already been submitted for publication. Flex was also found to have a very unusual type of the IGF-1 gene. In fact, Flex was the only participant in the study that did not have a "match." All of the other extreme responders had at least three other subjects with a matching IGF-1 gene. Based upon Flex's very unique genetic profile, we plan to expeditiously publish a scientific paper that reveals his complete genotype in specific detail. The publication of his remarkable genetic data should generate an enormous amount of media exposure.

Hope this information will be helpful and please call if I can be of assistance.

Sincerely,

/s/ Victor Conte

Victor Conte
    President
    BALCO Laboratories, Inc.

1520 Gilbreth Road • Burlingame, CA 94010 • 1-800-777-7122 • FAX (650) 687-6576

link: http://www.musclephotos.com/myogene.html

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man
    Interesting...good post bro

TOM2502002 is offline Junior Member
    wow, real cool post!!

TxLonghorn is offline Junior Member
    Well, I'm pretty sure I DON'T have the myostatin mutation, lol. Ah well, I guess it's gear for me.

jleighty17 is offline Associate Member
    if only we all were so lucky

goldenFloyd is offline Member

what do you all think about this?

is this all BS or you think this has potential? what about potential side effects? Can be no worse than being on a GH cycle right? check out this myostatin inhibitor and let me know if you think it is bunk. I am thinking of getting some while "off"... http://www.biotestedge.com/html/body_myostat.html

here is some of their marketing hype: "The ability to neutralize myostatin means that you can now take the governor off muscle-mass limitations, and grow and grow and grow and grow and grow!" don't forget to eat nitro-tech bars for freaky mass and fat loss!!!!!!!

but seriously, let me know what you guys can figure out, especially those technical ones out there...
    Last edited by goldenFloyd; 04-28-2002 at 10:55 PM.

Scorpion is offline Junior Member
    So Flex is a mutant? Will he join the X-Men or get his own comic book?

bump for myostatin product feedback

Uconish is offline Member
    Hes not a mutant hes a freak!!!!

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    goldenFloyd, myostatin blockers have been in development for a long time. To my knowledge they haven't perfected it enough to offer you a true product that works and is oked by the FDA. Penicale makes a protein drink that they claim has myostatin blockers also IMO its just hype

NightOp is offline Member
    Originally posted by goldenFloyd
    bump for myostatin product feedback
    products that sound to good to be true... are just that.

DrStacks is offline Junior Member
    Flex juices also. The myostatin stuff could or couldn't be true but Flex has juiced. I have read up on quotes from him. He has taken a whole lot of junk it's not even funny. I still think BIG is not better, Arnold in his prime is the perfect body. Big, slammed, and ripped.

i agree with you Dr. Stacks... and you other bros, I agree it's gotta be the hype. annoying.

ibiza69 is offline Senior Member
    i don't think that he was actually taking a miostatin inhibitor but rather it happend naturally.

blizzard is offline Associate Member
    could growth hormone cause mutations like this?though its effects are permanent and I'm sure he used it with sufficent knowledge for a long time without facing side effects.

Anabolik is offline Associate Member
    The problem with myostatin mutation is that your heart also starts growing. Or is that not so?

mando is offline Associate Member
    yup , we all mutants !!!
    especially me , after squats , i walk like a zombie !
    we all have different genetics , some of us on this board might even have better genetics than flex !
    we jus have to train n find out ! read dorian's theory on genetics in his book blood n guts .
    my man keeps it real.

Whiteyebrowe is offline Associate Member
    Flex juices also. The myostatin stuff could or couldn't be true but Flex has juiced.

Flex has juiced - nah really i thought that all came from nitrotech bars

jersey juice is offline Member
    Flex is a TRUE genetic freak, as far as all the myostatin supps out there, until UPJOHN or Johnson & Johnson or Schering or some other major pharm company comes out with something I'm calling bullshit. Just another angle for the supp comps to scam your cash!! Your telling me that champion nutrition has it, but the major drug companies don't?!?! Wouldn't that research go for more of a useful treatment of AIDS patients or cancer patients wasting???

JohnnyB is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    Flex has juiced, here's and interview where he say's "being able to respond to gear" helped in his career.

http://www.rippedmagazine.com/Stories/Flex.htm

JohnnyB

ripped_82 is offline Member
    The problem with myostatin mutation is that your heart also starts growing. Or is that not so?

Yes this is true, however, this is also the case with GH. Myostatin would probably make everything grow at a faster rate then GH. This is why I do not believe that Flex Wheeler is in excellent health if he has this mutation because his heart would be put through lots of stress, and would shorten the quality/life spand

Thread Information