symatech is offline Retired Moderator

Another study linking AAS/IFG-1 to prostate cancer

I put this in the steroid section since AAS increase growth factor activity and thus the propensity for prostate cancer as well. This isn't really anything new, there have been several studies posted which relate IGF-1 use to prostate cancer and hence AAS use to prostate cancer, but I don't think this one is on here so here you go.

I'm curious as to what you long time users think about this? Does it worry you, have you thought about it a lot? What were your conclusions. I know a few guys said they plan on being on for life, just curious if you're concerned at all about the prostate?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

IGF-1 and prostate cancer.

Roberts CT Jr.

Department of Pediatrics, NRC5, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239, USA.

By virtue of their potent proliferative and anti-apoptotic effects, the insulin -like growth factors (IGFs) have been the subject of long-term scrutiny for their role in tumorigenesis. With regard to prostate cancer in particular, IGF-1 has been shown to stimulate the proliferation of human prostate epithelial cells in culture and to be necessary for normal growth and development of the rat and mouse prostate. Epidemiological studies have established a link between high circulating serum IGF-1 levels and the risk of later developing advanced prostate cancer, and overexpression of IGF-1 in the prostate basal epithelial layer of transgenic mice results in prostate adenocarcinoma that is similar to human disease. Thus, IGF-1 action appears to be important for prostate cancer initiation. On the other hand, decreased IGF action, subsequent to the down-regulation of IGF-1 receptor expression, is associated with advanced, metastatic disease. This decrease in IGF-1 receptor may confer a survival advantage to prostate cancer cells that have entered the circulation by making them resistant to the differentiative effects of IGF-1 at metastatic sites such as bone. The molecular mechanisms that effect IGF-1 receptor down-regulation appear to involve novel oncogenic functions of the Wilms' tumour suppressor, as well as novel actions of the androgen receptor.

Publication Types:
    • Review
    • Review, Tutorial

PMID: 15562830 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

bor
    bor is offline D-bol Poppin'
    D@mn I'm scared to even read that, the title of the thread was scary enough !!!

Thread Information