GrantC5 is offline Associate Member

How many competition fighters are members?

This is a two part question really, How many of the members are competition fighters and what type of fighting? The second part is what gear do you take before or while competeing or any at all?

I am no longer a boxer but I fought for 20 years every since I was 7 years old. Golden Gloves x 2, 60 and 6 record. I want to get into something else like Jujitsu, Judo or grappling. Looking for advice. Thanks for any input.

Angel of death is offline Senior Member
    Get this moved to the boxing/fighting/wrestling forum bro, youll get much better responses

Logan13 is offline Banned

fighting

As a former boxer, you should stick to a striking type of fighting style. Grappling is very hard for boxers to do. If you have a wrestling background, give it a whirl, but I have met very few strikers with a good ground game. I have fought many boxers in the ring, always hard for them to put combinations together on the ground, they were always to stiff. Judo may be a good option to look into and there are many 30+ YO competing at various levels. It all comes down to what you have a good enough "feel" for.
    -Logan13

I should have been more clear. I did wrestle in High School but at a very low weight as a freshman and sophmore @ 119 lbs. I am pretty well rounded as far as that goes and have very good balance / hand eye coord. Angel of Death, the second part falls into this forum :" what cycles are you running while competeing or prior to a comp.

BTW don't let my age throw you off. being 32 sounds old. But I am not prone to injuries without alot of force like a car accident. lol, Most people that meet me assume I am in my 20's. I have worked out or lifted since I was 7 years old and my diet was great do to the fact my dad was a fighter and took care of his self.

Logan13 is offline Banned

not old

I'm 33 YO, I fought full contact for 3 years until the birth of my daughter. 32 YO isn't old, if you have the will to compete, keep going. All the cycles in the world won't do much for you until you have the technical down. Find a team to join and go to it. Find out what you have the aptitude and then do it.

Angel of death is offline Senior Member
    I know bro but they can help you with that too, im not saying its in the wrong forum im just saying that forum may be more helpful to you

Thanks for the info. BTW I finally have pictures or I will this afternoon. My sister took them at the gym Sunday before I worked out just to see where I am lacking. I am not on anything right now and wanted to take before pictures and after pictures. I will post the before this afternoon for comments. I am 205 right now which is a little heavy for 5'9" and it shows a little around my stomach. It helps to see someone when your talking to them so you know what kind of shape they are in.

I have seen a few people that come on here that have run a couple of cycles and honestly it looks like they had fake gear or horrible genetics.JMO

Consistency is offline Extraordinarily Exorbitant
    Ive fought in a couple small local boxing tournaments, won heavyweight this past year. nothin big tho

You won heavyweight. Was it Golden Gloves? What are the associations. ABF? or what? That's great I used to box but my hands can't take the force of a solid shot after being broke a couple of times. They need some serious tape to stay together. LOL ...congradulations on your win though.

njk
    njk is offline Associate Member
    when i lived in argentina as an exchange student , i was at a bar one night and a friend of mine dared me to fight in the ring in the bar, so i did and knocked the guy out in less than 30 seconds , the rule of the bar was that you had to defend your win so i did and went undefeated in 11 fights , in a three month span every friday night, all fought until someone was knocked out or submitted, but i had to stop going to that bar because the school officials found out. i was just lucky i did not have to visit home back in the states my mom would have had a heart attack. anyway, it has been years since that fun has happened , but my friends always tell me i should try to compete in the mma or ufc, just never had the time to train or join a team , just busy with work , working out and paying bills. well thats my story
    Last edited by njk; 04-11-2005 at 10:39 AM.

Thread Information