xplicit is offline Member

What do you consider an athelete and a sport????????

Ok i had a big debate over this with a friend a while back. This is what i felt was an athelete

Some one who trains hard for there sport, some one who has to be working there body out and getting it ready for competion.

Must be in top physical shape.

There bodies must play a large role in the sport they play in

ok next part sport vs. game

A sport has to be played by atheletes

If there is no athelets its not a sport

So here are some examples i feel are not a Sport but just a game

Nascar is a not a sport it is a game
    i know the arguement is hey you know how hard it is ro drive in that heat at that speed. Ok fine its a difficult game lol. Hey taking a shit can be diffulcult sometimes but do we make a sport of it No.

Golf not a sport if your over 60 and can play chances are it isnt a sport the most stresing part of there day on the body is to walk after a small ball.

Pool is not a sport no matter how much its shown on espn2
    at 2a.m in the moring lol

Fishing is not a sport.

My whole reason for this is jeff gordon should never be put in the same sentece never mind catogry as a kobe bryant or a body builder. It isnt fare to people who have to work out their bodies to achieve there goals. Why should a Jeff gordon be called an athelete if he benched pressed 600 pounds that doesnt benefit him in any way when he drives a car.
    No heres a tricky part to my whole thing over here if Jeff Gordon worked out he would be an athelete casue it goes toward what i feel an athelete is but that wouldnt mean race car driving is a sport. Even though i said atheletes play sports and if jeff worked out he would be an athelete BUT the working out doenst benefit in his driving skills so in my mind race car driving is not a sport

I want to see hwo other people feel on this subject. I know a lot of you guys liek golf and nascar im not saying there bad im sayin i dont think there sports.

I dont know if this topic should be here i didnt know where else to put it lol If it aint i guess could someone move it

Dizzy is offline Banned
    sport has to do with mind and skill. if you hate to lose then your an athelete in my book.

i won't even get into pool and golf even though i love both. but i will touch on NASCAR since i didn't get to go to the race today due to the weather.

race car drivers endure tremendous strain on their bodies. heat, g-force, and serious stress of making it through a race without being killed in the last turn. if you don't consider driving 200mph with 40 other guys driving 200mph around you a sport then your kind of cooky.

most NASCAR drivers have awsome workout regimines. their legs and arms must be very strong. it is possible for them to lose a couple of pounds in one race due to the tremendous heat in the cars. so building any muscle is extremely hard on these guys.

but all this still has nothing to do with them being atheletes. it is a sport because they are competing to win. thats all. and they are athelites because they are there to do so everyday.

the strongest muscle an athelete can have is his mind. that makes him better than the others. not his muscle. no matter what sport your looking at.

rangerdudeleads is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by Dizzy
    sport has to do with mind and skill. if you hate to lose then your an athelete in my book.

i won't even get into pool and golf even though i love both. but i will touch on NASCAR since i didn't get to go to the race today due to the weather.

race car drivers endure tremendous strain on their bodies. heat, g-force, and serious stress of making it through a race without being killed in the last turn. if you don't consider driving 200mph with 40 other guys driving 200mph around you a sport then your kind of cooky.

most NASCAR drivers have awsome workout regimines. their legs and arms must be very strong. it is possible for them to lose a couple of pounds in one race due to the tremendous heat in the cars. so building any muscle is extremely hard on these guys.

but all this still has nothing to do with them being atheletes. it is a sport because they are competing to win. thats all. and they are athelites because they are there to do so everyday.

the strongest muscle an athelete can have is his mind. that makes him better than the others. not his muscle. no matter what sport your looking at.
    Yea like Mark mrtin, hes a serious body bulider and it pays off to lift weights in nascar cause like you said your body takes a tremendos amount of strain on their bodies especially taking those corners.

Dizzy is offline Banned
    mark martin in the #6 ford taurus is my personal favorite. he is a tiny little guy...but has big muscles for his size. and isn't the youngest cat in the group either. f'n hardcore athelite in my book. loves to win.

Those are good points i never really knew too much behind nascar.

if you don't consider driving 200mph with 40 other guys driving 200mph around you a sport then your kind of cooky.

Talking about cooky driving around in circles for hours isnt cooky then i dont know what is.

As far as atheltes im sure some of them are in nascar, but i dont think a large percent of them work out as hard or often as other pro sports. sport has to do with mind and skill. if you hate to lose then your an athelete in my book.

Every single thing in you life deals with mind and skill everything. If you can name one thing that doesnt ill be impressed. So if that statement is true i guess everything can be considered a sport

Dizzy is offline Banned
    Oringinally posted by xplicit Every single thing in you life deals with mind and skill everything. If you can name one thing that doesnt ill be impressed. So if that statement is true i guess everything can be considered a sport

your correct everything requires mind and skill. you said atheletes are only those that train hard and are physical. I said an athelete is a person that has the desire to win and the ability to do it. everything in life requires mind and skill...even sports. and i didn't mean to call you cooky. i was just trying to make a point.

Originally posted by Dizzy

your correct everything requires mind and skill. you said atheletes are only those that train hard and are physical. I said an athelete is a person that has the desire to win and the ability to do it. everything in life requires mind and skill...even sports. and i didn't mean to call you cooky. i was just trying to make a point.
    Bro dont worry about the cooky thing lol and dont get the impress im argueing with you its hard to tell by jsut reading words but im not argueing im jsut conversating. WHat my thoughs of what an athelte is doesnt mean its fact everyone has there own opioion im just seeing if anyones opioin matches mine.
    And you have brought up good points i never knew too much about what goes on in the cars at nascar and what muscles are needed to be strogner and better so maybe i am wrong

Dizzy is offline Banned
    damn i was hoping you were going to argue with me ...there is nothing wrong with a intellectual brawl. it gets to the bottom of things. i respect your opinion. just letting you see mine. by the looks of your initial post it looks like you wanted someone to tell you your wrong. lol

i'm definately not trying to say your wrong. i would never do that to my fellow AR brother. but we could both go away a little more wisdom about topics if we argue them with someone.

i hope others join in this thread and tell you and i what they think. the more minds in an argument (or conversation) the better. peace bro.

lol i hear ya conversation and arguements are the same except i feel arguements have a big of nastyness behind it
    ( you want to argue about waht the real meaning of an arguement is lol) and im not getting nasty with anyone on here casue i respect everyone on AR.
    Ill still defend what i think and try to let u see my point of view but im just letting you know that im bascially not going to act like a jerk if someone thinks differnerty its hard to read words on here so it seems liek some people get a lil crazy about what they feel im just lettin u kno opions are welcome when i make a thread ok bro. and i would like to see more peopel get in this thread casue i want to hear other views

Dizzy is offline Banned
    Originally posted by xplicit
    you want to argue about waht the real meaning of an arguement is lol
    anytime dude...anytime. and if we ever do please know that i would never get nasty with you. well ok...if you got nasty with me then, maybe. now i will shut up and hopefully some more people have an opinion about this.

Dizzy is offline Banned
    i can't believe nobody else has an opinion on this. wtf? come on...i changed my avatar. look...i'm a little sweetie.
    Last edited by Dizzy; 04-07-2002 at 09:26 PM.

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Well I agree with you...
    For those of you who have every played sand volleyball doubles, competively, will know what I am talking bout. Weight training is almost a must. I train about 6 months out of the year, course, I am sorta getting away from it, and more into the gym, but I still play pretty seriously. Yes, even won money on occassions. The only problem is, I am short, but I with weight training it helps my jump to be somewhat compettive with the taller fellas..

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    I believe an athlete is anyone who trains their body and mind to compete in an activity that requires a phyical skill.

That can and does include Nascar drivers to volleyball players to football players.

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Good topic...wrong forum (I'll let one of the Anabolic mods mobe this).

I think there is a big difference between a sport and a game, but in some cases the line between them isn't as concrete as it once was.

Lets look at golf for instance. Almost all of todays top players are all involved in some form of offseason weight training. This didn't happen years ago, but it is absolutly neccesary today. Now that doesn't mean you have to be an athlete to play golf, but being athletic definatly gives you an advantage.

Other games require NO pysical fitness at all (billiards, darts, archery, shooting) and others require only some flexability (bowling, golf).

Now if anybody has played (or watched) fast pitch softball, you will know that some of the pitchers can be very overweight and they end up panting and wheezing for 10 minutes after running to first base. BUT those same pitchers can strike out12-15 batters per game by throwing an 80 mile per hour pitch with more movement that a table dancer.

What about figure skating or Ballroom dancing. I can pretty much garauntee that the average sports fan would not consider either of these sports, but I can garauntee just as strongly that the competitors in these two events are athletes with EVERY fibre of their being!!

For the forum i wasnt sure where to put this topic so i just put it here.

Vollyball is definty a sport so is dancing figure skating and most olympic sports that i can think of right now are sports also. Golf and nascar may have people working out to get an advantage but i guess what i mean by workin out an dtraining is that its neccesary for whats on the feild guys in football have to train workout to be faster quicker stronger cause there getting hit head on with players there playin head on. Golf isnt head on you take turns in golf and for some many years those guys never worked out and they still perfromed at a high level. I feel you body has to be worked constantly there has to be action going on in the sport. Nascar the main focus on winning is the car the driver is a big part but the car is the most imporant part thts a machine i dont think machines should play a major role in any involement on he field in sports(machines are used for replys and etc but not on the field used for actually palyin)

On a side note golf has to be the best sport to invest your kids time in cause if you get him into professionally at 21 he has at least (sayin he is a decent- average palyer) a 50 year career and they make great money golfers and stress?? lol Half of them play to relieve stress its a relaxing game. Tiger is goin to be the first billion dolalr player

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by xplicit
    Vollyball is definty a sport so is dancing figure skating and most olympic sports that i can think of right now are sports also.
    What about equestrian, archery, rifle and curling (all Olympic sports)? IMO...you don't need athleticism or condotioning for any of them. I know that the equestrian sports require you to be able to interact with your horse via leg pressure etc...but I hardly think that the riders are anywhere near as conditioned as the animals.

NOT arguing Xplicit, again just throwing out topics for discussion.

most olympic sports that i can think of right now are sports also.

I wasnt thinking of anrachy and curling lol. Seriusly i forgot they were still invloled in the olpmipcs. I argree there not sports. But Im sure they do train for those 4 years and in that training im sure there doign physically things for there body, but i dont htere athletes and there not particalpating in a sport

Thread Information