SilverBack_69 is offline Junior Member

How often should I hit the gym!

I know I am not supposed to work out every day even if I feel like I could! Usually I work out during the week and take the weekend off. Am I allowing my body enough time to heal for maximum gains? My workout consists of medium weight and higher reps like 15 so I don’t heart my shoulder again! Do you think it would be better if I did 3 on and two off or would that be two little time in the gym? What kind of workout schedules do you guys do?

300mg Deca a Week
    400mg Test Cypionate a Week

tonytone is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm in the gym 6 days a week, my day off is cheat day so i have more time to devote to stuffing my face.....

bmg
    bmg is offline Member
    recently i cut back from 5 days down to 4. my split goes like this:

pecs/ delts/ cows
    back/ trap/ rear delts
    off
    tri/ bi
    quad/ ham/ cows

i go heavy with high intensity so i benefit from the extra day off. i would guess that most bbers probably go 5 days per week. muscles usually get 7-10 working sets per workout.

web03 is offline Associate Member
    I go 5 days a week. 2 on 1 off 2 on 1 off....etc..

my split is:
    back, traps
    chest, abs
    off
    legs
    bis,tris,shoulders

I mix it up on reps. I use 6-8 for deads, bench, squats. 8-10 for shoulders and higher reps for pulldowns, laterals, hammers, etc.

web

magicstick2003 is offline Anabolic Member
    i go 5 days each muscle getting it's own day.... with the exceptions of arms which i dod together... i just switched it up from my 4 day training split... i usually like to go like 8 weeks on this way (5 days) then 4-6 weeks (4days)

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Everyones body is different.
    Some people can only workout each muscle once a week.
    I personnaly feel I get better gains when I do each twice a week.

You just got to experiment and see whats right for you.
    Also, what kind of shoulder injury you got?

apexed37 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phwSSJ

phw, i agree with you, can you post your workout routine?

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Mon-Sat Thai boxing/Jiu jitsu 2-3 hrs ed

Mon(light), Fri(heavy) 2hrs
    15min jumprope warmup
    Squats, deadlift, legpress+dropset, lunges, goodmornings, ad/abductors, upsidedown legcurls, weighted leapfrogs. ...stretching (30 minutes)

WED - no weights

Tue(light), Sat(heavy) 2 1/2 hrs
    15min jumprope warmup 15min rotator cuff warmup
    Clean n' press, powercleans, snatch, weighted/reg pullups, pushups like a mad mofo,
    incline-flat-decline: bench/dumbells, rows, pulldowns, shrugs, military press. ...stretching (30 minutes)

SUN - REST

abs and neck like a mad mofo eod mon-sat

EAT SLEEP TRAIN...FK THE REST
    that was my routine when I used to fight.
    That is what it will be this summer when I get back into it hard core!
    Last edited by phwSSJ; 04-12-2005 at 06:01 PM.

SilverBack_69 is offline Junior Member
    I had rotator cuff surgery a while back

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBack_69
    I had rotator cuff surgery a while back
    Make sure you do those rotator cuff workouts like they showed you in rehab!!!

everytime for warmup when you do upper body!

The Baron is offline Fourth Koala of the Apocalypse
    I try to train every day, but my sessions are extremely short... one set per exercise, one or two compound movements for each muscle group, limit of one isolation movement. My rep range is 6-9 for upper body, 7-10 for lower, thorough warmup, ALL work sets to failure, no exceptions whatsoever. Works for me. Close attention to form, which keeps the weight down while keeping muscular stress high, helps me to avoid chronic injury. I DON'T believe in high reps at all, except for a beginner or a child.

Currently I do the old push/pull/legs thingie. Recently I did a 10 part split for several months. I have also done upper/lower, and also back chest and shoulders / arms / lower body. Keeping the volume down, THINKING about when you will next rely on the muscles that you are training today, watching your form, designing an intelligent split, allow you to train as often as you like. If you believe in doing 3-4 sets of each exercise and 3 or more exercises for each body part, you better figure on training no more than every other day, IMHO.

NotHuman is offline New Member
    I train six days a week each muscle group twice a week. abs every day calves every day but sometimes i slack on that. i used to train each part once a week. Ive been getting better gains with my new program. my body recovers well. I do 6-8 rep range 4 sets one day 8-12 for the next day for the most part at 12-16 sets for the major body parts and 12 for the lesser. it would take to long (im lazy)to post my exact rutine. I think it depends on where you are at in your training and your life and how you find your body responds. sunday is also cheat day for me, eat whatever i want and just lay around and be lazy, its great.
    Last edited by NotHuman; 04-12-2005 at 08:01 PM.

I currently only do weights eod now, and on the off weight days I just devote 20 minutes to a solid ab workout, and 30-40 minutes for cardio. I've found that my body responds best to training no more than 3-4 days/week however including moderate cardio and abs year round. I no longer do any of this gonzo training where I'm a slave in the gym. I do most of my growing outside of the gym and in my kitchen. I get people all the time who come up to me and ask me "How many days a week do you work out?" When I tell them that I only lift weights 3 days a week they look at me in disbelief.

joevette is offline Banned
    Right now I'm hitting it 3 days per week, legs/push/pull with abs and calves on every other day. I hit it hard and intense, but keep the workout short (45min to 1hr). It's important to keep changing your routine up, though.

jbone30 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phwSSJ

I think Im going to adapt this way of training?..Because it seems no matter how hard I lift I can only be sore a little for the next day..It seems to me I should be hitting that muscle group again but Ive read I need more rest for the growfactor..Screw arnold!!!..J/k Some muscles seem like they need more rest though

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jbone30
    I think Im going to adapt this way of training?..Because it seems no matter how hard I lift I can only be sore a little for the next day..It seems to me I should be hitting that muscle group again but Ive read I need more rest for the growfactor..Screw arnold!!!..J/k Some muscles seem like they need more rest though
    Exactly!

Powerup is offline New Member
    i do chest tris monday then back tuesday wednesday off thursday shoulders tris,calf ,friday legs saturday off 2on 1 off split 1 hour at a time abs every second workout,, i have to be careful but because i easily overtrain...which used to be the case in a 6 on 1 off routinr i used to use..

Powerup is offline New Member
    oops shoulders biceps that is

znak is offline Senior Member
    i work out 4 x a week off cycle and pretty much when I feel like it on cycle. I really brutalize my muscles working out with a partner. We rise to ever increasing levels of pushing ourselves.

Last leg workout, two women left complaining that it sounded like we were giving birth when we were doing aided reps on the hack after just toasting our legs with squats.

When the group is ready, I hit it again. Legs can take up to 3-4 day. Chest can be out for 2-3 days...

Hit everything at least once a week, but more important than you split is your INTENSITY.

Thread Information