wayman is offline New Member

Finasteride (Propecia) vs Dudasteride (Avodart)

I know that dudasteride blocks both enzymes that are the catalyst for conversion of testerone to DHT whereas finasteride only inhibits one enzyme which makes dudasteride better overall.

Here's the problem, dudasteride is crazy expensive and finasteride is much more affordable. Based on my budget, I can only afford about 0.5mg of dudasteride per day. The recommended dosage is 2.5mg although studies show significant enzyme blockage at only 0.5mg.

My question, is it better to take the full recommended dosage of finasteride of 1mg per day or take a limited dosage of a much more effective dudasteride???

Anyone use only 0.5mg of dudasteride with success?

Thanks.

KGBnine is offline Anabolic Member
    I dont think the rec. dosage for avodart is 2.5 mg. It's more like .5mg which is in your range. According to their site, .5mg will reduce scalp dht by 54% whereas finasteride inhibits 38%. If you are really worried, take the dutasteride @ .5mg per day.

wayman is offline New Member
    Check this source out:

http://www.hairsite2.com/library/art...m#doeshairloss

Which states, among other things,:

0.5mg Dutasteride inhibits ~ 92% serum DHT and 55% scalp DHT
    2.5mg Dutasteride inhibits ~ 95% serum DHT and 82% scalp DHT

Seems like a big difference in the scalp DHT level. But if you're correct about the finasteride blocking only 38% of scalp DHT then it appears that dudasteride at 0.5mg is the way to go...unless you're rich.

KGBnine is offline Anabolic Member
    Hey I've taken finasteride @ 1mg per day and it works well, so I really believe you'll be ok with .5mg of dutasteride.

danno39 is offline Junior Member
    I was loosing a moderate amount of hair, took 1mg finastride and it stopped 100%. The problem is its not covered by insurance. Went to the doc last week and asked for Proscar in its place. I said I would break the tabs up myself. He was like "wow I never thought of that" He wrote me a script and insurance paid. Best of all He wrote a 3 mo. script I can do a mail in for and it reduces the cost again.

If I were you I would try finastride and see what happens. All insurance should pay for Proscar so get a script for that.

Thread Information