tbrocato is offline Member

Blood Pressure information

I recently had my bloodpressure checked and the reading was 165/68 158/72. I am 22 years old and I am wondering why the top number was so high. It seems like every time I get it checked the top number is high. I was nervous and my hands were sweating. If I would have high bloodpressure shouldnt both numbers normally be high ?

Thanks for info

bump

Aboot is offline Banned
    Being nervous will definitely affect the reading. Are you currently on anything? And no both numbers don't have to be high to be a problem.

I wouldn't necessarily worry about one high reading, but you should be monitoring it.

No not currently on anything. I did also just smoke before the reading was taken. I always get nervous with medical stuff. I am wondering if I should start doing cardio even though I am trying to bulk. 3 times a week run a mile a day ?

Aboot is offline Banned
    I would definitely do cardio at least 3 times a week, around 30 mins even while bulking. Plus, the nicotine would not have helped your reading.

Thanks for the info I might buy a home monitor system and start doing cardio 3 times a week

Aboot is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tbrocato
    Thanks for the info I might buy a home monitor system

I would highly recommend this. Just get a wrist cuff one so you don't have to worry about your arm being too big for a regular cuff. Test it a while after you wake up, before you've eaten or had any caffeine.

Quote Originally Posted by Aboot
    I would highly recommend this. Just get a wrist cuff one so you don't have to worry about your arm being too big for a regular cuff. Test it a while after you wake up, before you've eaten or had any caffeine.

Do you test your pressure at home ? This just freaks me out becuase I am 22 I shouldnt need to worry about this lol. less than 4 years ago I was running a 4:50 mile in high school crazy

Aboot is offline Banned
    Yeah, I'm pretty concerned about mine too and have been monitoring it a lot. I'm in my mid 20s and have high bp. I've promised myself that I won't get back on cycle until it is under control. I've already seen some improvement which is encouraging.

what is the cause of your high bp? Are you over weight ? Whats crazy is that both my parents dont even have high bp and they are in their early 50's. Thats why I think mine may be white coat syndrome, but cardio wont hurt me.

Aboot is offline Banned
    No, not really. I'm a powerlifter so I'm sure my training style isn't really conducive to a low bp reading. But it's not really that rare to have high bp. Honestly, I believe mine was due to a high amount of salt in my diet, caffeine and ephedrine use.

Meso is offline Junior Member
    Sounds like white coat syndrome to me. 120/80 is normal, any stimulants will raise your bp (caffine, ephedrine, ect). I would check it at home if I were you.

Thread Information