EatRite is offline Senior Member

my arms keep falling asleep at nite...

my arms fall asleep every night... and i wake up and i literally cant feel them... it happens probably 5 times a week... this hardly ever happened (once a month) before i went on cycle (test e at 550 a week)... does anyone else have exp. with this??? why is this???

Ntpadude is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatRite
    my arms fall asleep every night... and i wake up and i literally cant feel them... it happens probably 5 times a week... this hardly ever happened (once a month) before i went on cycle (test e at 550 a week)... does anyone else have exp. with this??? why is this???
    I dont know why but this is a super common side effect with steroids . Almost everyone doing any type of anabolic steroid experiences this and it doesnt go away until 2 months after PCT. We've heard many thearies that I dont care to repeat because nothing is proven as to why it happens, but just understand this is absolutely normal and happens to everyone.

On GH it happens all the time.

nathanw21 is offline Member
    it happens to me all the time too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ntpadude
    I dont know why but this is a super common side effect with steroids. Almost everyone doing any type of anabolic steroid experiences this and it doesnt go away until 2 months after PCT. We've heard many thearies that I dont care to repeat because nothing is proven as to why it happens, but just understand this is absolutely normal and happens to everyone.

thanks man... i knew i'd be fine... i just was wondering why the hell it happens... its odd if you ask me... i woke up the other nite and my hand was asleep, so i couldnt feel it, and it was on my face... well, since i couldnt feel my hand i thought somebody elses hand was on my face and i woke up and screamed because it startled the hell out of me... that got my heart beating real fast... couldnt fall back asleep...

maybe its the extra water weight in the muscles causing more pressure on your circulatory system, which constricts blood vessels preventing free blood flow?!?!?

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    maybe the increased red blood cell count makes your blood thicker and thus more likely to get cut off to some degree from a weird position.

it happened to me all the time when i was a teen (high hormone levels then that's f'sho'). no biggie, but man is that **** annoying.

yea stamos... it sucks balls... it scared the fvck outa me the other nite man... i thought somebody was going to kill me for a second there

maybe its the extra water weight in the muscles causing more pressure on your circulatory system, which constricts blood vessels preventing free blood flow?!?!?
    It feels like you slept on your arm all night, but what happens when BOTH arms are asleep? This happen when you lay flat on your back. Some theraries suggested by someone's doctor is that its pressure on the nerve and not cirulation problems at all with blood flow. Its also interesting to know that women on thyroid medication ALSO experience this. Almost identical simptoms. Holding a phone too long to ear can do this to the arm for both women on thyroid or steroid guys as well as sleeping on back or either arm. Even wake on one arm and both can be pins and needles on you.

lol. the first time it happened i was in florida w/ family and i was up in this big loft in a beach house. i just woke up, thought, "WTF?!" and started thinking my arms was gone for good and was i gonna have to get it amputated or what. then i walked down the ladder which was like 20 feet, and stood there with a dead arm. finally i was like, "**** it i'm gonna swing it around with my live arm, maybe i can get the blood flow back."

that was the first time i did that- and i'm telling you it took like 2 full minutes. hella scary. nowadays if it happens to me i can restore feeling in prolly 25 seconds.

saluu is offline Banned
    the monkey knows it is because of high blood pressure my arms go to sleep too my old lady has the seem problem it is associated with high blood pressue bro.

Quote Originally Posted by saluu
    the monkey knows it is because of high blood pressure my arms go to sleep too my old lady has the seem problem it is associated with high blood pressue bro.
    I have the same thing but everytime I check my blood pressure I get numbers like 115/70 which all well below the scale of high blood pressure.

NotHuman is offline New Member
    i get it all the time usually from sleeping in a weird position like on my arm. woke up one time and couldnt feel my legs that was a scary experience. i would say its definatly something to do with blood flow. when the blood rushes back into my arms i hate that pins n needles feeling it gives.

everything on me falls asleep. im at the end of sus cycle at 250mg/E3D. i cant sit on the **** toilet longer than 30 seconds before i gotta hold my legs out so they will wake back the fuc up. can your head fall asleep? i hope not, that might be ****ty. im surprised it hasnt happened to me yet. i have went from 183 to 202 in about 8 weeks though so im sure all the extra water and stuff is taking up more room in my body than it should.

zuke is offline Member
    it's just bad circulation

OneEyedJohnny is offline Junior Member
    The swelling associated with water retention MORE likely is compressing a nerve, an early sign of compartment syndrome ... which can also compress the blood vessels. I would do neurovascular checks on the affected extremeties ... press on your skin/nail beds and make sure that it pinks back up within 3 seconds, move your fingers/toes, check for pinpoint sensitivity (use a sewing needle), and check your radial/pedal pulses. Steroid induced compartment syndrome is rare but CAN happen, this is where the lining around the muscle is rigid ... once the muscle swells within that "compartment", it cannot swell out anymore so it begins to swell IN, compressing the open spaces the veins/arteries and nerves pass through. This is more common in patients with fractures that "out-swell" their casts. This condition is treated by making incisions deep enough to cut the muscle lining along the length of the muscle to relieve the pressure, if it is not caught in time it can lead to amputation. If you feel the need take something that will prevent fluid retention, such as an anti-estrogen or diuretic ... or if you are using something that increases bloating of the muscle cell such as creatine or a cell volumizing supplement, you may want to cut back or stop using it. Also you could limit your sodium intake.

One Eye

Logan13 is offline Banned

shoulder wear

I only get this when I am on cycle, particularly after heavy bench or shoulder work-out. I have always attributed it to the wear on tendons/ligaments. When i had rotator cuff problems, it felt the same way.

flabbywussy is offline Senior Member
    if it keeps happening go to a doc,because i know a few people it happenned to and turned out to be carpel tunnel syndrome.

not trying scare you bro but just giving advice.

did you start having pains in your wrist b4 it started falling asleep and do you work on a computer alot or use your wrists?

Quote Originally Posted by spittin' 'n cussin'
    can your head fall asleep? i hope not, that might be ****ty. im surprised it hasnt happened to me yet. .

yea... its called a whippit...

Quote Originally Posted by flabbywussy
    if it keeps happening go to a doc,because i know a few people it happenned to and turned out to be carpel tunnel syndrome.

not trying scare you bro but just giving advice.

did you start having pains in your wrist b4 it started falling asleep and do you work on a computer alot or use your wrists?

my right wrist has problems... but its because of a few fights i got into and shoulda thrown more lefts... it isnt carpel tunnel though...

it hasnt gotten any worse, and if it does i'm gonna definately go see a doc... but right now it isnt too bad... it only takes about 15 seconds to get my arms back to normal...

thanks for all the help guys

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedJohnny
    The swelling associated with water retention MORE likely is compressing a nerve, an early sign of compartment syndrome ... which can also compress the blood vessels. I would do neurovascular checks on the affected extremeties ... press on your skin/nail beds and make sure that it pinks back up within 3 seconds, move your fingers/toes, check for pinpoint sensitivity (use a sewing needle), and check your radial/pedal pulses. Steroid induced compartment syndrome is rare but CAN happen, this is where the lining around the muscle is rigid ... once the muscle swells within that "compartment", it cannot swell out anymore so it begins to swell IN, compressing the open spaces the veins/arteries and nerves pass through. This is more common in patients with fractures that "out-swell" their casts. This condition is treated by making incisions deep enough to cut the muscle lining along the length of the muscle to relieve the pressure, if it is not caught in time it can lead to amputation. If you feel the need take something that will prevent fluid retention, such as an anti-estrogen or diuretic ... or if you are using something that increases bloating of the muscle cell such as creatine or a cell volumizing supplement, you may want to cut back or stop using it. Also you could limit your sodium intake.

One Eye
    thanks man... i did all your little tests and i seemed to have passed all of them... so hopefully i'm good... thanks again...

Mesomorphyl is offline Smart Ass Member
    Check your blood pressure, saluu hit the nail on the head. If it is high, which I suspect then try some natural supps first. I use garlic, hawthorn berry, and make sure you are taking your flax or fish oils.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesomorphyl
    Check your blood pressure, saluu hit the nail on the head. If it is high, which I suspect then try some natural supps first. I use garlic, hawthorn berry, and make sure you are taking your flax or fish oils.
    say it ain't so! first gear, now you're doing garlic?! i'm getting worried about you, meso. i don't wanna see you dead young of a garlic overdose. please get help, for your own sake.

JoeySpyda is offline Junior Member
    I am on 650 mgs of test and my arms fall asleep everynite probably like 3 or 4 times just before i go to bed then I dont know how many times during the course of the night. I wake up slapping the **** out of my hand to get it awake. I was nervous at first myself till I saw this thread.

Cuttup is offline Senior Member
    hel yeah...ive spent many night unable to feel my fingers!!!

Tyson2481 is offline Associate Member
    not to worry bro im entering my 2nd week of test/E and same things happening to my arms and my hands ...freaking weird

devilman208 is offline Associate Member

One Eye
    You people and your fukin compartment syndrome! It pretty much takes some kind of trauma for this to occur. Almost blunt force type trauma at that. Please put down the medical journal and pick up some weights instead!

flabbywussy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by devilman208
    You people and your fukin compartment syndrome! It pretty much takes some kind of trauma for this to occur. Almost blunt force type trauma at that. Please put down the medical journal and pick up some weights instead!
    are you o.k. bro?

Quote Originally Posted by devilman208
    I have seen several people come into the ER with steroid induced compartment syndrome, I am not some idiot with a medical journal ... this is reallife experience, check my profile dude. Neurovascular checks are what we use to assess for compartment syndrome, if someone is positive the ER physician inserts a needle into the affected area that has a pressure gauge attached at the end of the tubing to monitor it until it can be normalized. If the pressure isn't high enough to require open laceration of the muscle capsule, they usually run 0.45NS IV fluids to make the blood hypotonic and pull excess fluid out of the cells or the use of diuretics. This is not common but DOES happen, I don't know what the guys were taking and they did not have any type of blunt force trauma, so I can't say for sure if there was a certain "combination" of AAS that caused this to happen to these guys or their dosages, etc. The guys did experience this after an intense pump that did not go away.

One Eye

I have seen several people come into the ER with steroid induced compartment syndrome, I am not some idiot with a medical journal ... this is reallife experience, check my profile dude. Neurovascular checks are what we use to assess for compartment syndrome, if someone is positive the ER physician inserts a needle into the affected area that has a pressure gauge attached at the end of the tubing to monitor it until it can be normalized. If the pressure isn't high enough to require open laceration of the muscle capsule, they usually run 0.45NS IV fluids to make the blood hypotonic and pull excess fluid out of the cells or the use of diuretics. This is not common but DOES happen, I don't know what the guys were taking and they did not have any type of blunt force trauma, so I can't say for sure if there was a certain "combination" of AAS that caused this to happen to these guys or their dosages, etc. The guys did experience this after an intense pump that did not go away.

One Eye
    Well people swell and grow on steroids however almost 100% of steroid users experience the arms going to sleep, but very few get that serious. We do know steroids can make your arms and chest grow so fast you get stretch marks or tears in the skin, but I think someone with a normal course using ldex or nolvadex should not be swollen so bad that they need this course of action.

For one I had genuine compartment syndrome once and that was because I got stung by a green saddleback catepillar (poisonous catepillar that is found on palm trees in Florida) and it causes profound swelling, but it was felt to be temporary since 3 days is all it takes for the poison to pass and swelling to be relieved. I was told just to keep the arm elevated above chest until the swelling subsided. I can tell you while swollen by forearm and upper arm both were "5" inches bigger around then usual. BTW I went to ER that time and they gave me a benedril shot and gave me the advice to keep the arm elevated, that was ALL.

niXon)( is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Stamos' Nephew
    lol. the first time it happened i was in florida w/ family and i was up in this big loft in a beach house. i just woke up, thought, "WTF?!" and started thinking my arms was gone for good and was i gonna have to get it amputated or what. then i walked down the ladder which was like 20 feet, and stood there with a dead arm. finally i was like, "**** it i'm gonna swing it around with my live arm, maybe i can get the blood flow back."

that was the first time i did that- and i'm telling you it took like 2 full minutes. hella scary. nowadays if it happens to me i can restore feeling in prolly 25 seconds.
    funny story

Yea, first time happend to me I ran into the bathroom to make sure my arm was there, started freaking out. poking it to make sure it was there, keep in mind this is in the middle of the night with a sleeping pill in me. i had to shake it forever it felt like, it definatly wasn't cool.

JoeySpyda is offline Junior Member
    Hahaha we are all full of similar stories, it happened again to me lastnight. It gets kind of freaky though.

ACAZORES is offline Member
    Your blood is not flowing right, huge bb, when they sleep they use one pillow under the arms, under the knees, that is when facing up, when they sleep on side they use two pillows under the head cause their shoulders are too wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntpadude
    Well people swell and grow on steroids however almost 100% of steroid users experience the arms going to sleep, but very few get that serious. We do know steroids can make your arms and chest grow so fast you get stretch marks or tears in the skin, but I think someone with a normal course using ldex or nolvadex should not be swollen so bad that they need this course of action.

For one I had genuine compartment syndrome once and that was because I got stung by a green saddleback catepillar (poisonous catepillar that is found on palm trees in Florida) and it causes profound swelling, but it was felt to be temporary since 3 days is all it takes for the poison to pass and swelling to be relieved. I was told just to keep the arm elevated above chest until the swelling subsided. I can tell you while swollen by forearm and upper arm both were "5" inches bigger around then usual. BTW I went to ER that time and they gave me a benedril shot and gave me the advice to keep the arm elevated, that was ALL.
    Well that was not swelling of a "compartment", that was just subcutaneous tissue swelling (skin)... since a bug bite or sting cannot penetrate into the muscle tissue directly. That is why they did not treat you for compartment syndrome, if it WAS compartment syndrome in 3 days you would have been an amputee ... it only takes approximately 6 hours of hypoxia (lack of oxygenation) to cause tissue death (not brain death) and nerve damage. In the hospital setting, on post-surgical limb surgeries we perform the neurovascular checks (as stated above) every 4 hours so that we catch compartment syndrome before it is too late ... it is one of the biggest liabilities related to these types of surgeries, don't perform the checks and you chance getting yourself in the middle of a lawsuit and trying to explain why you didn't perform them on the stand in front of a judge.

One Eye
    Last edited by OneEyedJohnny; 04-13-2005 at 08:24 PM.

zeeb93 is offline Junior Member
    Hey everybody.........

I had these same symptoms going on for a long time while on gear and long after. I was eventually diagnosed with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (pinching of nerves or ateries in the neck's thoracic muscle due to growth or swelling). My problems were admitedly due in part to early neck injuries, but the gear is what really made it bad. I have been told by many doctors that it is quite common, and thought it may be something to watch out for. It really sucks, after many tests and surgery I am basically not able to use my hands for any real extended period of time, especially in an elevated position, and that is 3 years after being off steroids , and 2 off of training (as directed by the doc). Just something to think about.

Thread Information