ArmstrongJones is offline New Member

XFtbl Player, rGH Help With Heart Failure??

First, Thanks for this board.

I played college ball, clean, in the early 80s. LB, 6'2, 235lbs. Since then,
    except during workaholic periods, I've hit the gym an average of 5 times a week. A few years ago everything changed. During an acute bout of serious infections, I acquired "viral" dilated cardiomyopathy, aka congestive heart failure (CHF). This is an enlargement or stretching of the ventricle which weakens the heart muscle.

Like alot of you here, Ive always been a full speed, attack problems, solve the sh*t and move on kind of person. However, after three years of sitting around, diddling with heart meds that make you feel like hell, I discover that I may be facing a heart transplant at some point unless I can improve heart function. Transplant means more drugs, constant testing, immunosuppressants and not neccessarily improved quality of life (in fact a significant chance that things will be worse).

OK, so boo-fing-hoo for me. But I'm sick of being sick! I recently started 4IUs/day of fitropin. Every journal article I've read about growth and heart failure has been positive or neutral.

Any tips, info, anything from you guys would be appreciated. I'm determined to beat this and get back in the gym someday.

Much Thanks,
    Armstrong
    Last edited by ArmstrongJones; 05-10-2005 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Tried to make the title bold and cleaned up language.

swoll4589 is offline Member
    first of all welcome to the board...... i dont know what to say but ill bump this for you someone will be able to help

almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Welcome to AR, AJ....and I'm a 40 yr. old in the same boat(DCM/CHF)........

Thanks, Almostgone

Sorry to hear about your DCM. Yesterday my ejection fraction was down to 17%. I suppose if GH were helping you , you'd have mentioned it.

Good luck to you.

I have another echocardiogram on the 9th and will see the cardiologist on the 18th for results, etc.....
    I've been on GH since Nov., won't know if it has helped until after next echo....My ejection fraction @ last echo was 22%....between it and the meds, it's been almost impossible to work....
    I'll pm you with my dosages in a few..don't want to post it in the open ...
    I don't want someone to try it based on my guesstimates...
    Good luck...

Newbee

Not familiar with this board's protocol. I'm bumping my own post as it is a bit urgent. I won't do this again. If this is out of bounds, my apologies. Also, if I have put this in the wrong forum, please direct me to the right place. Thanks.

jbd
    jbd is offline New Member
    well first of all, im truly sorry to hear this...i feel for ya...having some heart problems myself... actually ive had open heart surgery several years ago...
    but anyways...i am a registered nurse in a cardiac intensive care...so i know a few things...maybe more than many who will post...and i definitely do not feel qualified to answer these questions with more than a strong opinion...
    my advice to you would be to sit down and speak to the cardiologist exactly like you opened up in the post...tell him EVERYTHING...he needs to know...

privacy laws prevent him from ever using this information against you, or sharing it with anyone for that matter...so just let him know...i urge you to do so...
    he may not know exactly how to handle this either...but he can find out...and once he realizes this is something your going to do with or without his approval...he will most likely feel obligated to help you in any way he can...
    take care of yourself...and good luck...let us know how this goes, how your doing with it

jbd,

I really appreciate your concern and advice. I have brought up the subject with my cardiologist. I don't want to go into detail here but I am familiar with how faculty programs at teaching hospitals are run. As a cardiothoracic nurse, I'm sure you know what is at stake. Surgeons who do heart transplants and generate grant monies for research on new heart treatments don't appreciate patients self-treating with unproven therapies. I'm a bit trapped.

You most likely have access to Medline. GH therapy for cardiac patients is an interesting and understudied area of research.

I too am a member of the zipper club. Repaired mitral valve. Your patients are lucky to have a fellow heart patient as an RN. I hope your health is good.

Thanks again for your good advice. I'll definitely post as to how things go.
    Last edited by ArmstrongJones; 05-10-2005 at 01:25 PM.

SensP is offline Associate Member
    Maybe some of the bros on the GH forum can help you out some more. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmstrongJones
    . ...GH therapy for cardiac patients is an interesting and understudied area of research. .....

...ain't that the truth....

Thread Information