Blood After My Shot ... Geez!!!

I just did a shot in my glute and I pulled the pin out and blood oozed out fast. All down my leg and the floor. it felt a little uncomfortable giong in for some reason. Did I hit a blood vessel? This never happened before.

Fast R

CYCLEON Guest
    probably not - happens occasionally, due to fluid pressure buildup during the ingection. Did you aspirate ? if you indeed did hit a vein and shot on the other side of it you will be a sore bro tommorow.

Slow down on ur injection a bit and get teh gause on it quick, rub and massage it a bit - nothing to worry about IMO

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    I had that happen to me once and that time was the only time i did not have gause on hand to immediately put on the injection site after i pulled out. Had to run and get some TP.

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator
    Yes. Next question?

Seriously, it is possible (but not definite) that you hit a vein. That's why, after you have stuck it in, you should pull the needle back a little (up to 1/4 cc) to make sure you're not in a vein.

On the other hand, you may have simply gone through a vein and continued through to muscle - it depends on the length of the needle you were using. (Contrary to what some people say, the proper length for a glute shot is 1-1/2" - remember, in an intramuscular shot, the idea is to inject into the muscle, not short of it. One-inch needles are usually adequate for quad and delt injections, but not for the average glute.]

Remember that you are likely to get a drop or two of blood in any injection - that's why, even for a standard injection at a physician's office or when blood is drawn for a lab test, they put a small band-aid on the site.

My guess, however (without knowing specifics such as gauge and length, but based on your discomfort level) is that you went through a vein. Had you actually injected into the vein, you would likely have had additional symptoms.

Finally, remember that glute shots should be in the upper, outer quadrant of your butt cheek. If you inject any ol' place, you're likely to hit the sciatic nerve (which would send a shooting pain down your leg), and more likely to hit a nerve or blood vessel. (The upper, outer quadrant has less nerve endings, which is one reason that it's the only correct site for a glute injection.) Also, it's best to let someone else (who knows what they're doing) do a glute shot - they can get the needle in straighter and more directly, pull it back more safely, and inject it at a better angle than you can yourself.

That will be five cents, please.

CYCLEON Guest
    thank u TNT for taking the time to explain what i was try ing to short hand above - very nice.

Thanks guys, I knew it was no big deal since it goes in the muscle. It was a little scary .... blood oozing out and all i had was a swab to stop it. i came out of my room with it all over my hands and leg. Starting to sound like a pussy. well to answer your question, I use 22g 1/12in, Its the last week of oils anyway. Since im doing winny ed I use my shoulders and legs which leaves them way to sore for anything else.

Fast R

CYCLEON Guest
    FR - with a 22 gage harpoo, no wonder they are sore - never use anything bigger than a 25 gage IMO - draw it up in a 18 tho - IG will tell u to use a slin needle but 25 gage is good IMO.

cycleon, slin needle for the winny I hope? getting oils out of that you would need a hammer behind the plunger.

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    I have a hard time getting oils out of a 23g. I have only had big globules of blood after an injection on two occasions (once shoulder, once thigh). As cycleon said...jus make sure you aspirate before depressing the plunger and you'll be fine.

Pete

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator

lol

wait until you pull one out and blood squirts out accross room, shoulders are good for that. No big deal bro. just asprate no blood no worries, common for some after injection

CYCLEON Guest
    fellas just got to take it slower with slimmer pins - hurts less too

iron4life79 is offline Retired Moderator
    i remember the first time it happened to me..........man i freaked out, didnt know what i hit, if anything, it got a little tense there for a while, but when i realized that i wasnt feeling any additional discomfort i started calming down some. but it was touch and go for me mentally there for a while................

peace bb79

TNT

Cool Another reminder doesn't hurt . . .

As long as we're talking about gauges here, a reminder doesn't hurt . . .

Regardless of whether you're using a standard gauge (20 or 22) or a thinner needle (23 or 25) for oil-based shots, life will be easier if you draw the liquid with a large needle (18 or 20 gauge), then inject with the smaller needle. Keep in mind that the thinner the needle (or the higher the gauge), the slower it will push into your muscle, but you'll have no problem if you're patient.

Remember the process: Screw a 18 or 20 g. needle onto the syringe, sterlize the bottle top and draw the solution, then draw an additional 1/2 ml of air. Holding the syringe upside down, unscrew and remove the needle, then screw on a new 22 or 23 g. needle. Knock the syringe with your finger nail to ensure that all the air is at the top of the upside-down syringe, then push the plunger until you see a drop of solution come out. (Leave the drop on their - it makes it easier going in.) Then do your thing. The thicker needle is not only easier for drawing the solution into the syringe, it keeps the thinner needle sharper for the injection itself (since you're not sticking it into the bottle first, which can dull the needle).

Note for novices - you do not have to buy 18 or 20 g. and 22 or 23 g. syringes with needles. Just buy the thinner ones as complete (syringes with needles) and get a box of 18 or 20 g. needles by themselves (without the syringes) for drawing. For non-oil based injections, you can draw and inject with the same 25 g. needle.

I drew t-cyp with a 20-gauge and shot with a 25-gauge last week, and it went sloooooooow, but otherwise fine. Given a choice, though, I'd stick with a maximum 23 at the highest - smaller needle than the manufacturer-recommended 20 gauge, but easier on the bod. For my taste (subjective as it may be), 25 g. is a little tooooooo thin for oil-based injections.

All of the above is based on a 1" length in the quad (which I tried once - only once - with a 20 g. 1-1/2").

That will be five cents, please . . .

CYCLEON Guest
    very nice info TNT - bump

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    biz-ump! bump

nice post TNT but I only have a dime ... got change?

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    explosive post TNT...bump for that one...and has anyone had a 4 inch 21gauge needle stuck in their ass? i have and i sware they hit bone!

FI,
    theres something wrong with what you just said .... Why would u put a 4in pin in your ass? R u sure it was really a pin? haha

Fast R

TNT
    Originally posted by Full Intensity
    explosive post TNT...bump for that one...and has anyone had a 4 inch 21gauge needle stuck in their ass? i have and i sware they hit bone!
    I Thanks for the compliment, FI, but I have to go with "Fast Results" in expressing doubt here - the only 4-inch needle manufactured by B-D is a 14-gauge, which is not generally used for standard injections. In fact, the only 4-incher I can imagine might be used for a deep epidural shot (cortico steriod , not anabolic ) or a lumbar puncture. If there were such a needle as a 21 g. 4", the question is obvious: why would you be such a masochist?

Iwan2bsolid2 is offline Senior Member

fastresults

I blame you for my ROID night mare!!!!!!!!!!!

I just figured out why I had that dream now, it's beacuse of this post I read it last night before I went to bed. Pretty crazy, dude I feel your pain and your frickin terror.....

SOLID

ravaz is offline Associate Member
    Everytime I inject in my ass cheek, I'm always bleeding. It's nothing, suck it up!

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    After my second injection the blood sprayed out of my glute, all over the carpet and my g/f, who then started screaming, I then started screaming LOL

It happens

BA

Grant is offline Member
    Okay,
    what do you mean by aspirate ? Do you mean pull back on the plunger, wouldn't that create a suction in my muscle? That sounds like it would hurt even though i don't mind the shots.

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    You pull back ever ever so slightll, your feel nothing, if bubbles go into the syringe your good to go, if you see blood pull out change the pin and inject elsewhere. This is a must!

BA

Thread Information