Iceman911 is offline Associate Member

Question Does acetaminiphen or aspirin effect gains while on AS?

I read somewhere that acetaminiphen can effect gains. Is this true? If so how? Is it the same for aspirin or ibuprofin?

yerg is offline Associate Member
    I remember reading something about that to. I would also like to know. However, I dont see occasional use of tylenol or asprin being a problem. Am I wrong?

Sh*t I hope not. I been poping some tylenol lately for my headaches. I hope I'm not killin my gains.

SS1476 is offline Senior Member
    I read that tonight, a few threads down

http://67.18.108.244//showthread.php?t=170278

Is it true????

yerg is offline Associate Member
    I knew that I had heard that before.. But tylenol, asprin, every once and a while???

SS1476 is offline Senior Member
    I would believe that post, crrdible members.
    Thats why I posted the link.

wolfyEVH is offline Anabolic Member
    i believe anti-inflammatories like advil (ibuprofen) lowers protein synthesis a bit

1-Cent is offline Anabolic Member
    Both ibuprofen and acetaminiphen reduce protien synthesis but the one and only study done to my knowledge (I researched this for a long time for myself) was done using doses of 3000mg, both individually, and at that dose both of them pretty much brought protien synthesis to zero. Keep in mind the test was done shortly after taking either one... unless you took some and then worked out soon afterwards it shouldn't do much damage. Ill try and find the study

1-Cent is offline Anabolic Member
    One of the ways that pain killers such as ibuprofen work is to suppress the synthesis of substances known as prostaglandins. However, these very same prostaglandins also have a profound effect on muscle growth.

Some evidence linking prostaglandins to a reduced rate of protein synthesis comes from a trial published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism.

A group of male subjects with an average age of 25 were assigned to one of three groups. All groups performed 10-14 sets of 10 eccentric repetitions for the muscles on the front of the thigh.

• After completing the workout, group one received the maximal over-the-counter dose of ibuprofen (1200 milligrams daily).

• Group two was given acetaminophen (4000 milligrams daily).

• The third group received a placebo (a "dummy" supplement) that contained no active ingredients.

When muscle samples were analyzed 24 hours after exercise, levels of a prostaglandin called PGF2 increased by an average of 77% in the group using the placebo. This represents the normal response to exercise. However, PGF2 levels dropped by 1% and 14% in the ibuprofen and acetaminophen groups respectively.
    Theres another one I just found, I can't find the original one I was looking at... just as good

Thanks for the info.....I can't believe how much you can learn from this site.

Thread Information