Thread: Hernia

Ice_cold is offline Junior Member

Hernia

I have had one for quiet some time now is it ok to start a cycle knowing that I have it? will there be any problems while on? thanks for the info in advance

Kaz
    Kaz is offline Member
    Im not sure about the medical repercussions that might occur if you take AS while you have a hernia, but bearing in mind that if you are doing a cycle you will want to train heavy I would be concerned that you would agravate the problem mid cycle.

Then you have wasted your AS money (Since if you cant train there is no point in taking them) and you have enhanced existing damage as well.

Maybe wait to see if you can get an answer from TNT about this, or better still go and see your doc and ask him!

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    DO NOT START YOUR CYCLE! You might want to consider giving up lifting until you get that fixed in fact.

Hernias are generally not dangerous, but in rare cases they can be. Heavy lifting could easily extend the tear and make surgery all the more extensive...

I had hernia surgery a few years ago. It's a bitch, but you'll get over it and not have to worry any more.

PM TNT, he's a mod here, he's very medically savvy and he just had hernia surgery. He's a great guy and will give you lots of good advice--I don't think you could get beter advice anywhere.

Get that hernia fixed; if you get your intestines twisted up in a not and the blood circulation gets cut off, you could be in for far more serious problems than you already have!

ironmaster is offline Associate Member
    I have had one hernia repaired, and have the start of a second. I trained and used gear for 4 years before I finally gave in and had the surgery for the first one. The pain was nasty, like fire, esp. when squatting, dead lifts and the like. Exercises performed with the abdomen in a supported position were not so bad.
    No doubt, weight training will exacerbate the hernia.....and eventually you will have to get it fixed. Otherwise, you can choke off a portion of the intestine and develop some horrendous problems. I don't think you want to go to the gym with a shitbag attached. Don't be foolish, like I was....get it done. I have a steel mesh screen holding everything together now......outpatient, back to work in a couple days, not much gym time missed, if you are smart and take it easy.

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool Yeah, what they said . . .

You can actually have a hernia for a long time without any major problems, but heavy training can aggravate the situation. The one thing you don't want is to have the hernia become "strangulated," which would require immediate emergency surgery.

I probably had mine for a long time, and had no problem training. What ultimately aggravated it (although it did not become strangulated) wasn't training, but lifting a heavy sofa-bed. Like anythng else in life, a hernia is a crap-shoot, so if you know you have one, chances are that it is been painful enough at one time or another to make you aware of it.

Obviously, the best time to take care of it is when it is not an emergency situation. We're talking about the most common surgical procedure for men - generally in and out of the hospital the same day. My surgery was in early March; I was walking the same day, shopping two days later, and driving two days after that. You should be able to return to a full workout routine in a matter of weeks.

In my case, there was one problem: instead of sutures or staples, the incision was closed with Dermabond (sort of a surgical super-glue), and it didn't hold. The incision opened, then had to heal gradually and on its own by what doctors call "secondary intent" - naturally, granulating from the inside out. No big whoop, but it did keep me out of the gym for several additional weeks. So obviously I do not recommend Dermabond. Other than that, there are several options in terms of the type of surgical procedure they use for the repair, so I recommend learning as much as you can about those options and simply having it done. If you have pain now, the surgery will take care of that.

ironmaster is offline Associate Member
    As a follow up, there are 2 types of surgery for hernia: either a traditional incision, or "fiber optic" micro surgery. The latter is the latest thing, just 2 small cuts, one near the belly botton and one in the area of the hernia. I went for the micro, small scars sounded good to me. What they don't tell you is that they blow you full of air to seperate the organs so the camera can see.......this causes weird pain all over for several days, even my shoulders hurt, and my nuts swelled up the size of lemons. This was quite a sight, cause the boys had been like raisens for years from anabolics.
    Next time I'll go with the traditional.

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    How can you tell that you have a hernia? What are the symptons?

peace,

ttgb

CrazyRussian is offline Associate Member
    if you have a hernia you should not workout, the procedure to get rid of them is a lot easier now days, is it bulging out or what? does it hurt to cough? but dont do anything until it gets fixed, its not worth the risk....ive had one before

jamotech is offline Member

I'd say your almost guaranteed to aggravate the hernia on aas. You know your going to be pushing your hardest trying to get the most out of your cycle. Ajax and Kaz are right, youll most likely end up regreting it. I know how it feels to have so slow down when your ready to tear up the gym!

Thread Information