Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member

Can USPS open a package w/o Warrant??... The truth here

I keep reading these posts about "my uncle works for the Po and he said no they cant open on suspicion", and i asked my mail lady and she said they can open anything. well I want to know the truth so i did some research for written documentation not hear say.

The following is from www.usps.gov

Can Postal Inspectors open mail if they feel it may contain something illegal?

First-Class® letters and parcels and Express Mail® are protected against search and seizure under the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution, and, as such, cannot be opened without a search warrant. If there is probable cause to believe the contents of a First-Class Mail letter or parcel or an Express Mail pieceviolate federal law, Postal Inspectors can obtain a search warrant to open the mailpiece. Other classes of mail do not contain private correspondence, and therefore may be opened without a warrant.

What information can I obtain on an item held in Customs?

If your mailpiece is being held in Customs they will send you a detention notice within 30-45 days of its arrival in a Customs mail branch.

The most common items that are subject to detention are pharmaceuticals, prohibited or controlled items such as alcohol, spring blade knives, narcotics, and items subject to quota such as textiles being imported for commercial purposes, and not for personal use.

Customs does not track individual packages through their facilities, so unless you have a detention notice with a number, Customs will not be able to give you any information about where your package might be.

Sounds like the old myth that I believed, which was ANY USPS package required a warrant, looks like only Express Mail and First Class Letters. Now I guess we need the definition of a "First Class Letter"

Postcards, letters, and large envelopes can be sent using First-Class Mail®. This service, along with Priority Mail and Express Mail, can be used for personal correspondence, handwritten or typewritten letters, and bills or statements of account. It may also be used for advertisements and lightweight merchandise. The weight limit for First-Class Mail is 13 ounces. For heavier items, use Priority Mail.

First-Class Mail includes:

First-Class Mail Cards – the least expensive, most immediate way to reach someone.
    First-Class Mail Letters – the everyday letter mail. Affix a stamp, and drop it in the mailbox.
    First-Class Large Envelopes – mail lots of material in large envelopes.
    First-Class Mail Packages – Letters, envelopes, and small packages weighing 13 ounces or less.
    Presorted First-Class Mail – use it for high volume business mail.
    Priority Mail® - Cost effective delivery in an average of 2-3 days

maybe this will help clear some questions. I dont know what happened to the thread about the seized domestic package either.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I don't deal w/on-line ordering, ordering of any illegal supplements by mail, etc., but it always surprises me when individuals choose to utilize a FEDERAL institution to handle packages such as this. (When UPS/FED EX/ETC. can be used)

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    I don't deal w/on-line ordering, ordering of any illegal supplements by mail, etc., but it always surprises me when individuals choose to utilize a FEDERAL institution to handle packages such as this. (When UPS/FED EX/ETC. can be used)

~SC~
    there has to be reasoning behind this. I have been told by sources that move a heavy amount of product domestically that they will no longer use ups/fed/ etc.. and only ship USPS. They must know something we dont.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I think it's because people think USPS takes more care w/the packages and doesn't throw them all around, etc. UPS and Fed Ex workers usually just throw packages/boxes around and don't really care what's inside. Dunno, I'd rather receive something a bit busted up then to have to open a package in front of police and federal agents.

~SC~

Josey Wales is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat

~SC~
    It would actually be a bigger mistake to use USPS, FedEx, etc. . . , instead of the USPS. The reason being that private carriers do not need a warrant to open any package. The US Constitution (including the 4th Amendment prohibition against unwarranted search and seizure) only pertains to US state and federal government. As a result, the USPS has greater hurdles to jump through in proving a legal search. If a private (i.e., non-governmental entity) searches your package, they can turn that evidence over to the govt, which in turn can use it against you. The government didn't conduct the search, so they don't have to prove its legality.

correct... private corp. dont require a fed search warrant. They can open on suspicion or for no reason at all.

Thread Information