Fif the Great is offline Associate Member

New Exercise Pill? Check it out, bros...

Thought some of you guys might find this interesting, I did. But how many miracle drugs have panned out to be too-good-to-be-true? Exactly, too many. So who knows , a good read though

Exercise Pill May Bring Gain Without Pain

By PAUL RECER
    .c The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (April 11) - Pop a pill, get in shape.

That ultimate fantasy of the couch potato may become a reality some day, according to researchers who have found the chemical pathways muscle cells use to build strength and endurance.

With this basic knowledge in hand, it now may be possible to develop a pill that pumps up muscle cells without all that exercise, said Dr. R. Sanders Williams, dean of the Duke University of School of Medicine and senior author of a study appearing Friday in the journal Science.

Does this mean sedentary people could build muscle by taking pills?

''That may be one of the possibilities,'' said Williams, but the main target of the research is to promote the health of people with heart disease or other conditions that keep them from doing enough exercise.

''This could lead to drugs that will let people get the health benefits of regular exercise, even if they cannot exercise,'' said Williams. This could help patients with heart or lung disease, or lower the risk of Type II diabetes, for instance.

''It is possible it could become a drug of abuse because it would enhance the performance of athletes,'' he said.

In the study, Williams and colleagues at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas created a group of mice with genes that made a surplus of a protein called calmodulin-dependent protein kinase, or CaMK. When this protein is activated, it and another protein, calcineurin, trigger the physical changes that muscle cells undergo after intense exercise.

Williams said mice with a high level of CaMK developed more mitochondria in muscle cells and saw an increase of a type of cell called the ''slow twitch'' muscle. These are muscle cells that power sustained activity, such as that required by marathon runners.

For ''fast twitch'' muscles, which provide a burst of strength for a short period of time, there was an increase in the number of mitochondria.

The researchers found that mice with high levels of CaMK developed the same healthy muscle cells as mice that did exercise.

''The effect increases more of the slow twitch muscles, but it also increases the number of mitochondia in the fast twitch muscle cells,'' he said. ''That is very similar to what happens in very intense training.''

Mitochondria are structures inside a cell that provide energy by metabolizing oxygen and nutrition. Cells with many mitochondria can produce more work over a longer time. Physical training increases the number of mitochondria in muscle cells.

Williams said a drug that would trigger the CaMK muscle signaling pathway has not been found, but now that there is a specific target it should made the development easier.

''Pharmaceutical companies are very good at that,'' he said.

Dr. Keshav Singh of Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine said the paper by Williams and his group is an ''important advancement in understanding the mechanism that creates more mitochondria in muscles.''

''Since levels of mitochondrial proteins decrease with normal aging, this study may also help develop therapies to increase the physical endurance in the aged,'' said Singh, who is a mitochondria researcher at Hopkins.

AP-NY-04-11-02 0136EDT

Copyright 2002 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

iron4life79 is offline Retired Moderator
    just what those couch potatoes need, another reason to stay on their asses.............hehe.

peace bb79

nyteen27 is offline Junior Member
    Yea, thats all they need pop pills and sit easy isnt it not like b4 when you at least work out with pills!!!!!!!!!!!!

D3m3nt3d is offline AR's Whore D'Oeuvre
    Interesting concept..but i personally love my actual weigh training..no pills will ever make u the powerhouse that hittin the weights hard will =\

Iron horse is offline Anabolic Member
    if getting in shape was easy, it wouldnt be as much fun... think about it.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Yep, would a pill give you that feeling when you get done a great workout or step off the treadmill?

Deadend is offline Associate Member
    I guess anything's possible. I mean if you had tried to explain the viagara concept to people in 1902, they probably would have laughed at you. If a pill could make a couch potato grow, imagine would it would do to a gymrat......

d3m3nt3d, I just realized that your username says demented, whew, guess that one was over my head

jbrand is offline Member
    big bump on this one. it's been years since scientists started speculating about the conversion of slow-twitch muscle fibers into fast twitch fibers, emphasizing increases in strength over endurance.

what i read is either inconclusive or something that i can't adequetly comprehend, but it is speculated when a muscle is constantly stimulated by exercise, calcium ions build up inside the muscle, eventually 'turning on' the protein calcineurin.

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Booooooo!!!

That pill is gonna fuck everything up!!! We train hard, and we love what we do! Looking good is a bonus/reward for that! If every son of a bitch around the corner is gonna look like freaken Jay Cutler by just popping pills and doing NOTHING is just plain shitty! I say the members of AR organize a Top Secret team of Elite fighters, we can go to that lab, and destroy all their work

Thread Information