diesel85 is offline Junior Member

NSAIDS and bodybuilding...

k, i read a post which stated that taking anti-inflammatories was detrimental to bodybuilding, however, it wasnt very thorough or scientific in it's explanation...does anyone have some good info on this topic they wouldnt mind sharing? i was dx with rheumatoid arthritis a few weeks ago, so i'll be on some NSAIDS for awhile, until i get it under control hopefully, so i was wondering about this...

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    what kind if anti-inflamatories are you being prescribed?

i was on Relafen, but now i'm taking Lodine (etodolac), 400mg twice daily

sorry man i am not familiar with those meds.did you or can you talk with your rehumatoliogist?

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    dood NSAIDS only induce progression of rheumatoid arthritis best start pumping gluc/chond. and hope it helps and NSAIDS are bad news altogether... i did a few research articles on them ... try to find an alternative if possible. good luck

bro, so you're telling me that my Rheumatologist, and every Rheumatologist alive, is prescribing a medication that makes the condition worse? i guess i failed to mention that i'm also taking a DMARD called methotrexate, which is a "Disease Modifying Anti Rheumatic Drug", as well as Prednisone for swelling, but that wasnt exactly where i was going with my question...i was wondering what effects they might have on muscle growth, repair, working out, etc...

i would be interested in reading whatever articles you're referring to Tai...it seems a person can always find some kind of "research" to back up anything nowadays...

Quote Originally Posted by diesel85
    bro, so you're telling me that my Rheumatologist, and every Rheumatologist alive, is prescribing a medication that makes the condition worse? i guess i failed to mention that i'm also taking a DMARD called methotrexate, which is a "Disease Modifying Anti Rheumatic Drug", as well as Prednisone for swelling, but that wasnt exactly where i was going with my question...i was wondering what effects they might have on muscle growth, repair, working out, etc...

i would be interested in reading whatever articles you're referring to Tai...it seems a person can always find some kind of "research" to back up anything nowadays...
    don't worry if it will affect muscle growth, take the meds! rheumatoid is nothing to screw around with, an if untreated can be much worse. take the meds and keep lifting. all nsaids have multiple negative effects, but in your case the positives, of being pain free , outweigh total muscle growth. i personaly don't think it will be catabolic in any way or it would stop future gains alltogether.

Will_1 is offline Associate Member
    GH might be something to look into.

I'm currently working on (among other things) profiles on all major painkilling medications. I'm not going to bore you with the details of that, but I can tell you that NSAIDS will hinder your bodybuilding progress.

Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2002 Mar;282(3):E551-6.

Effect of ibuprofen and acetaminophen on postexercise muscle protein synthesis

Trappe TA, White F, Lambert CP, Cesar D, Hellerstein M, Evans WJ.

Donald W. Reynolds Center on Aging, Department of Geriatrics, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, and the Central Arkansas Veterans HealthCare System, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA. [email protected]

We examined the effect of two commonly consumed over-the-counter analgesics, ibuprofen and acetaminophen, on muscle protein synthesis and soreness after high-intensity eccentric resistance exercise. Twenty-four males (25 +/- 3 yr, 180 +/- 6 cm, 81 +/- 6 kg, and 17 +/- 8% body fat) were assigned to one of three groups that received either the maximal over-the-counter dose of ibuprofen (IBU; 1,200 mg/day), acetaminophen (ACET; 4,000 mg/day), or a placebo (PLA) after 10-14 sets of 10 eccentric repetitions at 120% of concentric one-repetition maximum with the knee extensors. Postexercise (24 h) skeletal muscle fractional synthesis rate (FSR) was increased 76 +/- 19% (P < 0.05) in PLA (0.058 +/- 0.012%/h) and was unchanged (P > 0.05) in IBU (35 +/- 21%; 0.021 +/- 0.014%/h) and ACET (22 +/- 23%; 0.010 +/- 0.019%/h). Neither drug had any influence on whole body protein breakdown, as measured by rate of phenylalanine appearance, on serum creatine kinase, or on rating of perceived muscle soreness compared with PLA. These results suggest that over-the-counter doses of both ibuprofen and acetaminophen suppress the protein synthesis response in skeletal muscle after eccentric resistance exercise. Thus these two analgesics may work through a common mechanism to influence protein metabolism in skeletal muscle.

BigLittleTim is offline Senior Member
    Oh my...

I think I've consumed about fifty thousand Advil tablets over the past five years. We call them "rugby-candy".

-T

Hooker--

okay, if i'm reading correctly, these doses were administered immediately following exercise...do you think that could have something to do with the results? also, i'm not taking either one of those medications, so do you think that might make a difference? maybe it's just me, but that study doesn't seem very thorough...i would like to have someone perform the same tests on my after one of my workouts, which wouldn't include frickin 10 rep 'knee extensors'...not to mention my diet and such...anyone else?

Thread Information