ALF
    ALF is offline New Member

xylocaine to numb a muscle

hi, has anyone used xylocaine to numb a muscle? i just came across an old thread where TNT (who seems to be a vet on this board) explicately stated that this is a dangerous practice. could someone explain to me why? if you have any experience with local painkillers please let me know id like to hear about it.

ALF
    btw xylocaine is the brand name for lidocain....

ALF
    bump... anyone?

BigPancho is offline Associate Member
    Burns like a bitch. You'd need more than one injection to numb the area effectively, unless doin' somethin' crazy like attempting a nerve block. There's a reason that MD's go thru so much med school & clinical rotations.

Why stick yourself 5-6 times to ease the pain of one stick? 25g pin is like butter, not worth the extra BS associated with a local.

Not to mention all the potential probs overall. Lido is used as an anti-arrythmic, supressing ventricular ectopy. It, in layman's terms, numbs the heart, makin' it less irritable. The concentration in that useage is 100mg/10ml. Now, take the doseage of what is generally given as a local, and the potential for somethin' f-d up happening increases.

Not worth it. The gels that are available for topical application only affect the epidermis overall, so won't help with an intramuscular injection.

BigPancho

Thread Information