Thread: liver damage

achtung is offline New Member

liver damage

Who knows how long it takes for oral steroids to cause damage to the liver. is this an affect that comes with steroid abuse over time or is the liver affected immediately following the use of.

badger is offline New Member
    I think you would have to consider may factors such as age, genetics, alcohol consumtion, diet ect. There may already be some info about it from past postings.
    Check the search and if it's about your own liver you can have you blood tested for values.

map200uk is offline Anabolic Member
    from what i know it takes time, also remember that the liver regenerates when its upto 75% damaged, and i very much doubt you have damaged it that much

just make sure you'r using liver protectants when on orals

map

Alpha-Male is offline Senior Member
    i think they might all be different, which one in particular were you considering using?

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    you could destroy your liver in one cycle.. I did test e and winny for one cycle and my liver values were 10x the normal value.. which is 0-40 and mine was 428.. there was a guy on here though that had his at 3000+ and was hospitalized on 1 cycle. It really is best to get blood tests done like every 4 weeks but not many people do that.

damn son...did they go back to normal after your cycle? was that ALT? were you taking any Milk Thistle or Liver Support supplementation? wow, mine were like 45 one time and i was worried

Jsik98 is offline Member
    I'd be more worried about coronary damage. That can't regenerate like your liver can.

"Benign (adenoma's) and malign tumors (hepatocellular carcinoma) have been reported. There are rather strong indications that tumors of the liver are caused when the anabolic steroids contain a 17-alpha-alkyl group. Usually, the tumors are benign adenoma's, that reverse after stopping with steroid administration. However, there are some indications that administration of anabolic steroids in athletes may lead to hepatic carcinoma. Often these abnormalities remain asymptomatic, since peliosis hepatis and liver tumors do not always result in abnormalities in the blood variables that are generally used to measure liver function.

AS use is often associated with an increase in plasma activity of liver enzymes such as aspartate aminotransferase (AST), alanine aminotransferase (ALT), alkaline phosphatase (AP), lactate dehydrogenase (LDH), and gamma glutamyl transpeptidase (GGT). These enzymes are present in hepatocytes in relatively high concentrations, and an increase in plasma levels of these enzymes reflect hepatocellular damage or at least increased permeability of the hepatocellular membrane.

In longitudinal studies of athletes treated with anabolic steroids, contradictory results were obtained on the plasma activity of liver enzymes (AST, AST, LDH, GGT, AP). In some studies, enzymes were increased, whereas in others no changes were found. When increases were found, the values were moderately increased and normalized within weeks after abstinence. There are some suggestions that the occurrence of hepatic enzyme leakage, is partly determined by the pre-treatment condition of the liver. Therefore, individuals with abnormal liver function appear to be at risk.

No unanimity exists about the influence of anabolic steroids on arterial blood pressure. The response is most probably dose dependent. There is some data suggesting that high doses increase diastolic blood pressure, whereas low doses fail to have a significant effect on diastolic blood pressure. Increases in diastolic blood pressure normalize within 6-8 weeks after abstinence from anabolic steroids . It appears that repeated intermittent use of anabolic steroids does not affect diastolic blood pressure during drug free periods.

There is evidence that the use of anabolic steroids does elicit structural changes in the heart and that the ischemic tolerance is decreased after steroid use . Echocardiographic studies in bodybuilders, using anabolic steroids, reported a mild hypertrophy of the left ventricle, with a decreased diastolic relaxation, resulting in a decreased diastolic filling. Some investigators have associated cardiomyopathy, myocardial infarction, and cerebro-vascular accidents with abuse of anabolic steroids. However, a possible causal relationship could not been proved, because longitudinal studies that are necessary to prove such a relationship, have not been conducted yet. There is convincing evidence that oral administration of anabolic steroids has stronger adverse effects on the mentioned variables than parenteral administration.

Although the effects of anabolic steroids have an unfavorable influence on the risk factors for cardiovascular disease, no data are available about the long term effects. Most of the mentioned effects appear to reverse within 6-8 weeks after abstention. It is unknown, however, whether the structural changes as reported in the heart, are reversible as well

it's a frickin' crapshoot for the longterm...gotta die of somethin' i suppose...but careful, responsible, MODERATE cycling seems to be the best way to go, duh right?

bigbouncinballs is offline Senior Member
    you should cite your sources!

here, i'll just paste the link:

http://www.sportsci.org/encyc/drafts...abstereff.html

much easier

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-Male
    damn son...did they go back to normal after your cycle? was that ALT? were you taking any Milk Thistle or Liver Support supplementation? wow, mine were like 45 one time and i was worried
    can remember ast or alt but it was the one that is on the 0-40 scale.. i slacked on the thistle and didnt take in enough water.. was my fault but i got it back down to 55 in 4 weeks after cycle.. lesson learned..

Titan1 is offline Member
    I have seen many clinical studies that shows that all this talk about 17aa being dangerous for the liver is exaggerated. Im not saying its somthing anyone should do with these problems but i know 2 guys and they both suffer from Hepatatis B and they have used steroids for years d-bol and drol also at least 4-5 times each and they have no problems with their liver values and i was on a 6 month cycle now and i think it was my 3 rd month when i used drol for 4 weeks with Npp and Test prop/Cyp and after 4 weeks i checked my liver values still on the cycle and my values were normal strange but true.....some get problems some dont

yeah, from that study, it appears that if your liver is already ****ed up, then OF COURSE they will be bad for you, but at that point, so is everything else that passes through there causing extra stress that a normally functioning liver could/should handle.

achtung is offline New Member
    I plan to take sus and 10mg s bol are there any suggestions in reguards to cycles and or daily dosages??

Thread Information