Physically_Strapped is offline New Member

Which of you are smokers, non-smokers?

I am a smoker . . on and off since early highschool . . i'm up to half pack a day . . I often play the guilt trip on myself, thinking how much bigger I could possibly get if I kicked the habit . . I've tried to quit before, but realistically i'm addicted . . I probably would never have started if my love for bodybuilding, eating healthy, and staying fit was grasped @ an early age . . but what's done is done . . smoking doesn't really effect my cardio, I just recently ran 30 minutes on the treadmill . . for me, that's good . .

am I the last of a dying breed on here that dedicates himself to the gym full time, but shortly after lights up? . .

do you think smoking plays a role on muscle loss? . .

you know how drinking while juicing is a route you want to avoid . .

how about smoking while juicing? . . besides potential muscle loss . .

smoker or non smoker? and how much are you up to a day? . .
    Last edited by Physically_Strapped; 06-20-2005 at 06:53 PM.

Tazwell is offline Senior Member
    yea i used to smoke more than a pack a day.. then i quite but i will still have maybe 3 or 4 cigs some days..

i know for sure it limits the amount of oxygen in your blood.. i don't know how much that will affect your muscle growth.. but smoking and cardio don’t mix well at all.

it also messes with you appetite, so if your on a diet where you eat 6 times a day smoking will make it harder to eat, you'll want to smoke a cig instead of eating..

the thing is quitting isn't too hard they have gums and patches that work great.. the problem is wanting to quite.. i mean really wanting to..

if your up to 10 cigs a day that means you should really try to cut back.. your a smoker, a heavy smoker is 20 or more.

dive_kid is offline Anabolic Member
    I smoke, but for some weird reason I dont seem to have a cardio problem.
    I can run an hour on the tred mill no problem. I smoke about 15 a day.
    I dont know if smokeing effects muscle directly but it does effect stamina.
    I quit for 3 years but thought I could play with the devel. went for a trip to vegas and thought one wont hurt. I smoked one and It was like I had never stopped.
    plan to quit again next week. no good comes of smokeing

bigbouncinballs is offline Senior Member
    smoked for 9 or ten years, its different for everybody but like tazwell said, you gotta wanna quit, that makes it alot easier. atleast it did for me.

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    i smoke maby 3 cigs a week, and thats on the weekend basically. so i wouldnt consider myself a smoker. but i do know that it isnt good to smoke atleast 1 hour before and about 2 hours after a workout. because ur body is trying to get oxygen to ur muslce and smoking prevents that. i really cant say if it really hurts muscle gain that much, but i think it would make cardio alot harder when cuttin.

spooledup is offline Banned
    Hate cigs, been smoking pot everyday since I was 15. Got a great education and job, and I put on 70lbs naturally since I was 17 and weighed 120lbs. BF is still around 11%.

it's really just became a habit now . . it's became a social thing too . . it's like a best friend, they've been by my side for years . . smoking is addictive . . you know that little label they have on some of the packs "smoking is more addictive than heroin" . . well that's one thing the government isn't lieing to us about . . I dislike the after taste of cig, so I chew a piece of gum after every smoke . . I dislike the taste, but yet, I still do it :| . . while sometimes i'm under pressure, nervous and stressed, smoking relieves that . .
    Last edited by Physically_Strapped; 06-20-2005 at 07:18 PM.

my mom, her mom, my sister, all my moms sisters, my two cuzins smoke . .

our family history shows that not one has died from cancer . .

they've lived long lives . .

my Grandma has been smoking her whole life, she's 85 and is still healthy (for the most part, sore joints etc.) . .

JAYROD is offline Senior Member
    i smoked for 8 years and it is hard to quit. looking back i know how stupid smoking is not to mention expensive now. everyone is free to do as they choose but IMO you will benefit a tramendous deal if you quit. just puff on a cigar now and then like arnold (the greatest) does.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I thought this thread was a joke.

I guess not!

~SC~

Recklace is offline Associate Member
    Does smoking weed affect your muscle growth?

dive_kid is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Recklace
    Does smoking weed affect your muscle growth?
    it wont help

Smiley619 is offline Member
    hope not...

weed promotes estrogen..

pot heads have bitch tits.. i swear..

edit: before any one asks for proof do a search on weed and estrogen... i don't want this thread to get closed cuz of rec drug talk.
    Last edited by Tazwell; 06-20-2005 at 08:13 PM.

JiGGaMaN is offline Banned
    ive been smoking for about 4 years now. i dont feel that it affects my cardio or workouts but it definitely isnt helping at all.

ninthprince22 is offline Associate Member
    i been smokin for about 5 years, for the past year i have tried to quit smoking so i would buy black and milds in singles to hopefully think i would quit. but all i was doing was making it worse. one black is equal to like 5 cigs, honestly, my brothers a pharmacy major, one of my friends is a pre med major and im a nursing major, and seriously, to quit smoking u have to go cold turkey.

the patches and gum are puttin nicotene inside of u, so ur not really quitting. the gum burns your mouth like there is scorpion in ur mouth stinging u. i havent tried the patch.

the only way to quit, and i have quit smoking and this works... have somthing that motivates you. for me, its my body. in miami, fl. i have never seen a guy thats ripped and looks well built. i dont want to be fat and fu*kin ugly and smell like cigs when i walk into a room. cigs also affect ur PENIS...

the thing that motivates me, is that i just tell myself that im not smoking, cuz when i smoke i dotn work out, cuz of shortness or breath or cuz sumtimes i feel like throwin up. but then im like fuk this smokin shit, i wanna get back to lookin good and feelin healthy... and i want to work out for atleast 6 months so i can juice.. shit it helps... lol.. try it...

in miami, if u are ripped, u can get any type of pu$$y u want. white, hispanic, asian, black, canadian.. anything.. thats all they care about,, and pu$$y is all i care about =) hope u guys quit.

hellapimpin is offline Anabolic Member
    yea i smoke..it sux, tried quiting, havent, has effected me, i can tell, wish i never started. planed on quiting soon, hopefully do....keep ya posted.

nickm748 is offline Associate Member
    never smoked

tonytone is offline Anabolic Member
    smoked 1 cig in my life, and it was the most awful thing ever...how the hell do you guys smoke that sh1t? gives me a killer headache.....yeah i used to smoke weed all the time when i first got to college, was into lifting back then, but not as dedicated as i am now. but i have since grown up, put my pot days in the past (for good), and i have always seen better results in my training

WildCh1ld is offline Banned
    I quit smoking and spend my money on more important things like my gear..

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    quit smoking about 1 year ago after smoking for about 6 years. smoked up to 3/4 pack a day usually.

now, my teeth are nice and white, I can smell things again, food tastes better, I don't smell like nasty ass smoke all the time, and no more smokers breath. I shoulda quit a longer time ago. Anywho, 1 year post quitting and feel great. Oh yeah, and my lap swimming is teriffic, my endurance is up.

pyschomab is offline Associate Member
    start dipping (chewing tobacco) so you dont **** with your lungs and its easier to quit dipp than ciggarettes

dirtyvegas is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tonytone36
    smoked 1 cig in my life, and it was the most awful thing ever...how the hell do you guys smoke that sh1t? gives me a killer headache...... but i have since grown up
    no sh1t i never smoked and never will ,cant stand the smell.its ever hard to kiss a chick that smokes..i just never liked it.. but my mother does smake

dirtyvegas is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyvegas
    no sh1t i never smoked and never will ,cant stand the smell.its ever hard to kiss a chick that smokes..i just never liked it.. but my mother does smake
    my bad i mean smoke...

dtr98 is offline Member
    smoked for 23yrs, quit 3/17/1997

iwillsleepwhenidie is offline Junior Member
    are you kidding me i have been chewing since freshman year in highschool 23 now. For sure not easy to quit bro.

hellapimpin is offline Anabolic Member
    LOL DV, i was gonna say, dang thas phucked up puttin your mom on full blast like that....stealing your needles an shit...

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyvegas

AG5678 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazwell
    weed promotes estrogen..

edit: before any one asks for proof do a search on weed and estrogen... i don't want this thread to get closed cuz of rec drug talk.
    I say by past experience.

Quote Originally Posted by pyschomab
    start dipping (chewing tobacco) so you dont **** with your lungs and its easier to quit dipp than ciggarettes
    dude my dentist and my doc both noticed i started dipping a few years back (my ex roomate used to do it) ..

they both told me if i had to do one evil, to smoke.. these are doctors telling me they would rather i smoke than dip.. it has to do with the thyroid gland in the throat or something..

stupidhippo is offline Anabolic Member
    Smoking will definetly not help in anything but the hazards of smoking usually come after a long time of smoking. I have a friend who smokes and competes in triathlon. I am not saying that this smoking helps him and eventually it will hinder him. I asked my professor and he said that it is not unusual that young smokers have good parameters in spirograph. My point: it is very possible that smoking hasnt hindered your cardio (at least not a lot) YET! in regards to muscle growth I havent heard it has any effect on it, not saying there aint possibly but really doubt if it has any major impact. I used to smoke and quitted some years back, now smoke on average a smoke a week. If you think about training getting drunk is way more bad for results.

Fozaldo is offline Associate Member
    Hey funnnily enough I've decided to quit today, used to be on 20 a day. Its all about will power and determination, forget patches gum and all that crap, its like muscle, you want it you have to work for it.

Hellboy_Hal is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazwell
    weed promotes estrogen..

Serious? I've heard something like that before, but never thought about it.

So if i start juicing, i should definitly stop smoking weed?

Edit: yes i do smoke cigarettes by the way, too many i think.
    Last edited by Hellboy_Hal; 06-21-2005 at 04:28 AM. Reason: forgot the point

Titan1 is offline Member
    when you smoke because of the nicotin you have more cortisol in your body so you are more catabolic and thats not good.

russia dog is offline Member
    but doesn;t AAS stop cortisol hormone, and stop the catabolic

does smoking weed harm your performence?
    it;s a very common thing for thai teenage to puff on weed..... can't avoid that

stocky121 is offline VET~ Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    non smoker

MatrixGuy is offline Good things come to those who wait
    Non smoker. Try and give up bro. Hard i know.....but it will be for the best.

donmega is offline Associate Member
    I smoke, gonna quit

Already Under a pack a day here.

My heart rate already is insane while on the test, sometimes out of no where while laying in bed Ill get a BAAABUMP A PUMP then back to normal. Scares the shit out of me cause it feels like someone is shaking the bed.

Im sure smoking isnt helping and smoking SEVERELY limits your weight gain potential.

Thread Information