Thread: milk thistle

sweetpete is offline Associate Member

milk thistle

i hear people talking about ot in this forum what exactly is it used for and it is over the counter or a controlled substance

BlInDsIdE is offline "ARs Most Dangerous Member"
    milk thistle is used to help protect ur liver while on cycle bro, its not a controlled substance do a little research

Alpha-Male is offline Senior Member
    it's an herb, any vitamin/supplement shop should have it...good for liver protection...i'd pesonally use it year round, even off cycle, but on cycle, at least 1200mg/day IMO

thankyou but if i search all the time i would never build up any post.in reality if you search you would never have to post.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpete
    i hear people talking about ot in this forum what exactly is it used for and it is over the counter or a controlled substance
    R+ lipoic is more effective for liver protection.

if you get milk thistle keep in mind that the effective ingredient is SILYMARIN. so check how much it has in it.

NAC
    BETAINE
    lecithin
    etc...

are also hepatoprotectant.

thankyou again

Quote Originally Posted by macrophage69alpha
    R+ lipoic is more effective for liver protection.

based on????????

lavaman is offline Associate Member
    I hear sam-e is better for the liver then milk thistle.

i'm currently searching for a study that hails one being more effective than the other, so far, they all seem to be used in conjunction to best effect...and each has been used to effectively treat toxicity in the liver...

AM

here's some detailed info on milk thistle, if you wanna check it out

http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/.fulltext/3/6/410.pdf

uh-oh, looks like i found something KINDA backing the lipoic acid claim...sorry macrophage

Protective effect of alpha-lipoic acid against chloroquine-induced hepatotoxicity in rats.

Pari L, Murugavel P.

Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar, Tamil Nadu 608 002, India. [email protected]

Oral administration of a-lipoic acid, a metavitamin, was investigated for its possible hepatoprotective effect in Wistar rats against chloroquine-induced toxicity. Rats were treated orally with alpha-lipoic acid (10, 30 and 100 mg x kg(-1) day(-1)) for 7 days before a single oral administration of chloroquine (970 mg x kg(-1) day(-1)) and alpha-lipoic acid treatment was continued for three more days. The increased level of serum enzymes (aspartate transaminase, alanine transaminase and alkaline phosphatase), bilirubin, lipids and plasma thiobarbituric acid-reactive substances (TBARS) and hydroperoxides observed in rats treated with chloroquine were very much reduced in rats treated with alpha-lipoic acid plus chloroquine. A significant decrease in plasma antioxidants such as reduced glutathione (GSH), vitamin C and vitamin E were observed in chloroquine-treated rats when compared with control rats. Administration of alpha-lipoic acid significantly improved the levels of plasma antioxidants GSH, vitamin C and vitamin E in chloroquine-treated rats. In the case of 100 mg x kg(-1) day(-1) the effect was highly significant compared with the other doses (10 and 30 mg x kg(-1) day(-1)). The results of the study revealed that alpha-lipoic acid could offer protection against chloroquine-induced hepatotoxicity. alpha-Lipoic acid had a better protective effect when compared with silymarin, a reference drug. Copyright 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.

so at least with "chloroquine-treated rats", you're right

Quote Originally Posted by lavaman
    I hear sam-e is better for the liver then milk thistle.
    Effects of S-adenosyl-L-methionine on liver damage in experimental obstructive jaundice.

Tsai SM, Lee KT, Tsai LY.

Department of Health Public, School of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan.

S-adenosyl-l-methionine (SAMe) is a naturally occurring molecule distributed throughout the body tissues, including the liver. It acts as a methyl group donor and as an enzyme activator in a number of biochemical reactions. Methionine is metabolized in the liver, where it is converted to SAMe by SAMe-synthetase. In patients with liver diseases, these pathways are impaired because of the decreased contents of glutathione, the major abnormality being a reduction in SAMe-synthetase activity. Exogenous SAMe may overcome the results of impaired SAMe-synthetase activities. We conducted this study to evaluate the effect of SAMe administration on liver damage induced by biliary obstruction. Rats with common bile duct ligation exhibited abnormal liver functions, increased lipid peroxide levels, and decreased reduced glutathione contents when compared with the shammed-controls, which indicated that there was oxidative stress in rats with obstructive jaundice; however, SAMe application improved these injuries. There were significant alterations of the levels of amino acid profiles in animals with obstructive jaundice. The ratio between branch chain and aromatic amino acid was depressed, which indicated that the condition of liver was worsening, but SAMe administration improved these alterations significantly. In conclusion, SAMe administration alleviated the liver damage, indicating an important hepatoprotective effect of this methyl donor

couldnt find anything saying it was better, but looks to be a good add on, hell, take all three...

BALLASTATUS is offline New Member
    Someone told me if i take milk thistle during my winny cycle that it will absorb it so i should wait till after to start the milk thistle ??? true/false???

saluu is offline Banned
    i truely believe after cycle is good doing cycle and but i do believe there is no scientific data out there saying milk thistle effects or decreases gains in cycles ever heard of the word bs so i would say false. i know because im mike tysons other half brother salu tyson in da house.

alevok Guest
    during cycle, post cycle I always take milk thistle to protect my liver. Also vit-B complex and artichoke extract is good for your liver.

LatinoPR is offline Anabolic Member
    Im in Anadrol50 and im taking 9 capsuls a day.

Quote Originally Posted by LatinoPR
    Im in Anadrol50 and im taking 9 capsuls a day.
    what on earth for?

firstinmia is offline Associate Member
    I usually take milkthistle but i just got in the mail some pills that are supposed to be better .They are called LIV 52...Has anyone taken them beofore?

Thread Information