joker453 is offline New Member

Question Help Need Doctor's Opinion

I am a 19 year old male interested in using anabolic steroids for the first time. I have a conditon called supra-ventricular tachycardia (rapid heart rate)and am taking Toprol XL 25 mg. once a day. I am wondering if the steroi use will affect the medication or my condition.

Dr.Evil is offline Retired Moderator
    no flame, but if you want a dr.'s opinion you should really go seek a dr.'s opinion especially if you're already on medication for this condition. i'm just an evil doctor and don't know about how steroids will effect your condition. it's not common and i doubt any of the members here have any experience with this.

tnt is in the medical profession... he may know more, but in the end, you still need to seek a professional opinion from your doctor.

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Toprol XL and Tachy...

Originally posted by Dr.Evil
    no flame, but if you want a dr.'s opinion you should really go seek a dr.'s opinion especially if you're already on medication for this condition. i'm just an evil doctor and don't know about how steroids will effect your condition. it's not common and i doubt any of the members here have any experience with this.

tnt is in the medical profession... he may know more, but in the end, you still need to seek a professional opinion from your doctor.
    Welcome to the board, joker453. I see that you asked the same question back in January, and that there is a response on the board by viperlingerfelt. I encourage you to read his response, which I endorse. You'll find the original thread at this link.

The physician product literature (which includes all prescribing information) for Toprol XL can be found at this link. A quick search indicates that the word steroid does not apear anywhere in the product literature, which means that the issue of its interaction with anabolic steroids was simply not addressed. (By the way, I recommend that you download and read the official product literature. It will be a bit technical, but you'll get the jist of what you need to know about it. Why read it? Because you're taking it. )

As you might be aware, anabolics would tend to affect the kidneys or liver more than the heart under routine circumstances. In fact, rather than steroids, in your case I would be more concerned with supplements - especially those containing ephedrine or caffeine, such as Xenedrine or other ECA stacks - things that can have a direct impact upon heart rate.

I concur with Dr.Evil: We cannot advise you on this specific question, as it is beyond the scope of lay people. Additionally, your profile provides no background information on you in terms of your stats or workout routine, so it would be inappropriate to even speculate. But most of all, your underlying cardiac condition demands that you seekl in-person advice from your own doctor, since he or she knows you and your capabilities better than anyone.

I know that you are anxious about doing a cycle, but all I can suggest, bro, is that you not bow to any kind of peer pressure. Your circumstances are special, and your health is more important than anything. One thing I can guarantee is that if you do not do a cycle, no one around here will like you any less; and if any of your friends would like you any less, then you need a new set of friends - because true friends will want whatever is best for you.

DISCLAIMER: While I am delighted to read the comments of my distinguished colleague Dr. Evil (whom I congratulate on just being named a forum moderator today), I must note for the record that I am not a medical professional. I am, just like the good doctor, a well-informed lay person when it comes to medicine, and got there by being a proactive patient - a role I recommend for everyone. In reality, I am a male prostitute. Yeah, that's the ticket...

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    At 19, you really don't need steriods ... you should have plenty of test flowing through your viens. Why don't you write out your stats, workout routine, and daily diet for us and we'll take it from there. I bet you could make some serious gains with a little diet adjusting.

viper is offline Member
    hi joker.....most know i changed my name from viperlingerfelt to just viper......bro, did you discuss it with your physician like i suggested before....
    since you are still on toprol, i would bet that you have not seen a cardiologist yet......
    WHAT ARE YOU WAITING ON......
    no-one hear with an ounce of knowledge is going to tell you it is "safe" to use AAS with your medical history......VIPER

latman49 is offline Member
    Toprol XL is a beta-blocker, some beta-blockers can be mixed with steriods , but in this case NO. Any thing that you take that may effect your BP doesn't mix with Toprol. It can cause heart failure. Also, some beta-blockers are tough on the liver so any 17-aa's while on a b-b will mess you up bad. DO NOT risk it man, it isn't worth dying. Heart abnormallities aren't something to take chances with. If it stops, you stop--PERIOD.

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    You've heard the logical explanations, now hear it more blunt:

DON'T DO IT

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I think the guys have stated it enough for you,please don,t even consider steroids yet you are too young and with a condition such as yours you will be playing with fire and everyone knows play with fire you will get burnt.Get it checked out

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    No flame bro but are you brain dead..................(another fine example of a stupid question)GO and see the doctor and ask him as you might have guessed we are not qualified doctors.Any advice given by anyone regarding this sort of subject should be taken as a pinch of salt.......

bex
    bex is offline Banned

I thourght we all would like to see my PM from you

A stupid question??? Well I thought it was a pretty good question considering 1. My title was "Help Need Doctor's Opinion" ( Guess i wasn't looking for yours huh?) 2. I'm sure when I do ask my doctor he will tell me what every ohter doc would tell me "I don't think it's a good idea" and 3. Well this is an anabolic website correct? But thanks anyways for your intellectual reply.
    P.S. I guess using AAS at your age is ok then huh? Hypocrite

If you cannot see sense with a heart problem then you are not sane enough to take AS ( GROW UP BRO........

latman49 is offline Member
    Settle down fellas. Joker, Bexome is right, go see a doctor and don't base your decision on anything we say. Bexome, I understand where you were coming from, but it sounded kinda like a flame, and the last thing we need to do is push Joker to another board where less qualified( not that I am qualified) people encourage him to use AS. No need to start a war over this thread. Let's all get along.

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    No flame just sense

tryin2getbig is offline Junior Member
    just curious...what is your resting heart rate?

just like everyone said:

1. you are too young (even though when i was 19 i wanted to start)

2. go see your doctor and ask him/her- of course they don't want you to use steroids , but by law they have to help you whether you decide to take them or not

Also my personal opinion is not to do steroids because of your condition. Your heart is already having problems at such a young age why screw it up even more. This is not something like getting a few pimples here and there that go away in time...this is your heart and you don't want to screw that up anymore

DrStacks is offline Junior Member
    Hey bro, 19 is too young, anyone would agree with that. I would say at least late 20's if not 21 minimum. You should talk to your doctor which won't let you take any anabolics. The med you are taking will interact with most steroids as they have a influence on diff parts of your body, many roids such as winny, equi, sos, ect. increase blood pressure and cholesterol levels which aren't good for you with your particular problem. I made the mistake of starting young, now I am 21 and have extremely poor circulation (I have to keep moving even while sleeping to keep blood circulating, ect.) High blood pressure, and since my natural test levels are so high plus what I take in my stacks which have now gotten up to 1200mg a week I get agressive bursts where I feel like my heart is going to explode, especially while training in the gym. I think I read above DON'T take it?

Thread Information