Thread: Siatica

kdrkid81 is offline Associate Member

Siatica

What can be done to ease the pain of siatica when working out my lower back. I have almost a phase 2 and many times am in alot of pain. Anything out there that can ease the pain or help??

Alpha-Male is offline Senior Member
    sorry, what's a 'phase 2'? dood, if your sciatica is pinched, i dont think you need to working out like that...are you going to therapy or anything?

Went to a cyro did shyt for me, um theres 3 phases of how much your disc is clampin on your nerve and im between a 1 and a 2

dood, i just found out i have a herniated disc at L5-S1, and two moderate bulges above that...only had a problem with sciatica once...i wouldnt advise a chiro bro, i'd try traction and other physical therapy methods first, but i would definitely hold off on lower back stuff, get it under control a bit, and then gradually rehab...all youre prob. doing is aggrevating it

ttiger is offline New Member
    My bro and I had the same problem. Get a back brace just like the employees at office depot wear. It doesnt need suspenders. Wear it all day long for about a week and a half. Posture is important too. Whenever you sit down, make sure your rear is all the way up against the back of the chair, and do not lean your back forward, always keep it against the back of the chair. Finally, sleep on your back or side only. Do not sleep on your stomach,that really messes up your lower back. All this my seem simple, but it really works. I have no back trouble anymore. My brother told me all this because he saw a doctor.

ttiger is offline New Member
    also, i think it would be a good idea to lay off squats and deadlifts for a few weeks. Fixing your lower back is well worth any stregth loss. Remember its only a hobby, and part of being fit is taking care of injuries.

Thanks for the advice, hopefully it works as well for me as it did for you

dragon69 is offline Member
    I treat disc pathologies every day. 1st, bad posture is the number 1 cause of such problems, as well as a twisted pelvis. You have to work on posture for sure, especially while seated.
    No squats, deadlifts or leg presses for quite a while, and go light on shoulder pressing too. Get some therapy for it immediately.

Iv been an ice hockey goalie since the age of 4 i think years of that may have produced my problem, season after season never a break, plus baseball football and roller hockey as well couldnt have helped lol

ah yes, I treat MANY hockey players for disc pathologies. It's the constant leaning over that produces the problem. You'll need to spend some time in a somewhat 'backwards bent position' to even the discal pressures.
    Lie face down, then while your pelvis stays on the floor, prop yourself up on your elbows and say read a book for about 20-30min. Every day for awhile and definately after everytime playing hockey (before too if you can). That will help you tremendously! BUt you gotta do the exercise and do it for at least 6 months as well as after any hockey
    Good luck

hey Dragon, how do you feel about discoptemy (sp?)? since i was planning on being pretty active the rest of my life, u think it's a viable option or should i try physical therapy for awhile? i mean, can traction reversed the herniated disc, or how does that work?

Heracles74 is offline Senior Member
    physical therapy bro.

Thanks dragon, hopefully this works and ill be free of pain in a few months

ive tried it, albeit only for a couple months, but i want to get back to the days when i could squat and deadlift, i mean, my frickin legs are muscular, but size is lacking, and therefore overall development is kinda plateaud (sp?)...ya know?

discectomys suck usually

juicy_brucy is offline Ripped, not bulky
    Welcome to my world. My back goes crooked when I do squats. Yep. that is the inner muscles protecting the injury. Stretching (no bending over though) and intence physio is the only answer. See a physio therapist. They can help you. I went from not being able to tie my shoes, to touching my toes in a matter of 6 months. I pinched the siatic nerve during a snowboarding accident. Still hurts to this day, three years later, but is not as bad as it used to be. The pain is bareable now.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon69
    I treat disc pathologies every day. 1st, bad posture is the number 1 cause of such problems, as well as a twisted pelvis. You have to work on posture for sure, especially while seated.
    No squats, deadlifts or leg presses for quite a while, and go light on shoulder pressing too. Get some therapy for it immediately.
    All good advice - from personal experience. See someone and they will show you some simple excercises to do at home THAT WORK only if you do them everyday. Good luck with that. Siatica is the WORST injury that I have ever had to endure. And thats coming from a guy who has broken both of his femeurs, torn a rotator cuff (just as bad) , broken wrists and many muscle tears. Siatica is terrible. I feel for you. I would never wish this on anyone. Ronnie coleman has been battling with siatica for since around 97- 98. Crazy, isn't it?

doesn't suprise me coleman has one. I believe that there isn't a single pro out there who doesn't have screwed discs due to severely messed up training ideas. Many do not have pain that bad right now, but that is always how this injury starts, with no pain. Like that for years till you hit a nerve root one day.
    It gets better, then no pain....people forget the injury cause there's no pain and do stupid shit again. Recurrent over and over till it gets done PROPERLY.
    PM me if anyone with this injury is around Vancouver.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon69
    Recurrent over and over till it gets done PROPERLY.
    PM me if anyone with this injury is around Vancouver.
    I was in whistler B.C. when I injured myself. 121km North of Vancouver. I will be out there in October again to train.

newbrew is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrkid81
    Went to a cyro did shyt for me, um theres 3 phases of how much your disc is clampin on your nerve and im between a 1 and a 2
    Be glad the quack didnt hurt your back more than it is already.

Quote Originally Posted by juicy_brucy
    I was in whistler B.C. when I injured myself. 121km North of Vancouver. I will be out there in October again to train.
    OK, yes whistler is very close. If you wish to get this condition fixed PROPERLY while you're out, PM me and I'll give you contact info.

Thread Information