Thread: blowen shoulder

cj1capp is offline Anabolic Member

blowen shoulder

any out there recover from a blowen shoulder. I ripped off my supperspinatious (spelled wrong) and my glenoid tendon. I am having sugery on the 12th any one with some experience in this area please help me out

bump

did i put this in the wrong section. Bros Im scared i wont be able to lift any more can any one give a positive personal outcome

no help out come bros you have always come through before

beavertrap is offline Associate Member
    Wish I could help. I suffered a grade 2 AC joint separation last october. No surgery luckily but severe pain, physical therapy, and lots of sleepless nights. Pain did not go away for about 7 months. Good luck and talk to your doctor. After a he****g period, I am guessing you should be able to work out...but I will tell you, if it hurts, stop or reduce weight. I know its not fun but you could make things worse. Also, get a good physical therapist. If you get one and dont like him, can his azz and find a new one.

musclehead1 is offline Member
    make sure u get into physio b4 you go into surgery and after asap... also make sure u dont end up with a "frozen shoulder"... ull be able to lift again bro no matter what the doc says, i messed up my knee and doc said i wont be able to sprint like i have in the past, but with a lil bit of recovery i ran faster than i had b4.
    take care and keep thinking positive

inevitable is offline Member
    physical therapy... don't rush back into lifting bro... take it a day at a time.. i tore my rotator cuff but luckly no surgery (grew back onto the bone.)

Tazwell is offline Senior Member
    i had surgery for a torn acl..
    just remember, if the doc says 9 month recovery time, take it seriously.. after surgery your shoulder will be very weak, and you don't want to injure it again..

after my surgery, i was 5 months post surgery.. rehab was going great, but i started to push my self too hard, thinking that 5 months was long enough.. well i had a severe set back.. now my knee is still better than it was, but probably need surgery again..

good luck to you, and i wish you a quick recovery.

dragon69 is offline Member
    I'm in medical practise so I can advise you on this.

frozen shoulder won't occur unless the folds of the joint capsule adhere, so wouldn't worry so much about that.
    If there's no pain you can lift now, but only pain free. Make sure you ice every day untill surgery and then obviously loads after that too. You won't lift for some time afterwards, but if you feel you can stay away from the weights it would be good to keep going and doing cardio (good excuse to get really lean). Let your PT determine when you're ready for more.
    Good luck.

dragon69 is offline Member
    PS, pain free activity after surgery is recommended and may speed your recovery. (I don't mean weights). Lots of arm movement for you with no weight if you can do it pain free.

Jsik98 is offline Member
    Right now your main objective is to minimize the imflammation. Get a good cox-2 inhibitor. You could go with a natural like Zyflamend by New Chapter. If you don't want to go the natural route then stick to ibuprofen. Remember, you're not taking it b/c you can't handle the pain, but b/c the cox-2 enzyme (responsible for imflammation) damages tissue. Definetely ice it as well.....periodically through out the day for 30-60 minutes. I don't know how bad it hurts you, but if you can do some light movements I would definetely do those regularly to keep blood flowing into the area. Get an elastic band (the ones you get in physical therapy....you can find them at wal-mart) tie it to something or put a knot in the end and close it in a door, and you can do light movements with that. My favorite was : 1. put a small towel under your armpit 2. keep the elastic at elbow height 3. keep your forearm perpendicular to the floor and your thumb facing up while your elbow is bent at a 90 degree angle 4. Now pull the elastic across your chest. Do this repeatedly until you get a good burn. I swear by that movement as I believe it was the single most affective exercise in he****g my shoulder. I still can't bench heavy or do heavy shoulder presses, but don't worry about that......You'll be back before you know it man! This will give you a chance to really bring out those striations! Good luck
    Last edited by Jsik98; 07-07-2005 at 09:37 PM.

Thumbs up

Thanks very much to you all, I am very scared about my surgery coming up on the 12th .and it was good just to hear from some bros. I love lifting and to think i might never do it again had me very bumed. My Doc wont tell me shit escept that he says "he is the best in the world and do as he says and all will be fine" but when i ask will i lift again or will i be able to do my job as F/F parmedic he wont say shit. So thanks to all the good bros on this board for their kind words and thoughts.

Thread Information