Logan13 is offline Banned

pinned through a major vein

Tonight I hit a major vein, outside quad, could tell right away after I broke the skin. I pulled out immediately and some major blood came out. Within 1 minute, the area was totally swollen, and it still is 3 hours later, even after I put ice on it for 25 minutes. So, do I have a big ball of blood in my leg or what? I have injected myself daily for 120 days, never had this before.
    Thanks,
    Logan13

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    What length pin were you using to shoot the quad?

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    "The popliteal artery (Fig. 551) is the continuation of the femoral, and courses through the popliteal fossa. It extends from the opening in the Adductor magnus, at the junction of the middle and lower thirds of the thigh, downward and lateralward to the intercondyloid fossa of the femur, and then vertically downward to the lower border of the Popliteus, where it divides into anterior and posterior tibial arteries."

http://education.yahoo.com/reference...subject?id=159

1"

Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather
    What length pin were you using to shoot the quad?
    25GA x 1" pin, thanks for the anatomy as well, I appreciate it. I can't believe that I could hit that artery, I have 7% BF, but I am pretty thick. Is it possible?
    Last edited by Logan13; 07-09-2005 at 07:35 PM. Reason: add

Duck of Death is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan13
    Tonight I hit a major vein, outside quad, could tell right away after I broke the skin. I pulled out immediately and some major blood came out. Within 1 minute, the area was totally swollen, and it still is 3 hours later, even after I put ice on it for 25 minutes. So, do I have a big ball of blood in my leg or what? I have injected myself daily for 120 days, never had this before.
    Thanks,
    Logan13

....for Pete's sake, you didnt hit an artery. You would have had a LOT more blood than that if you had and that pin would have filled up with blood big time immediately! You did, however, hit a vein and now you have a hematoma (extravasated blood under the skin). Don't worry about it - its just like a big bruise. It will turn purple, then green, and then go away on its own.

thanks duck

Quote Originally Posted by Duck of Death
    ....for Pete's sake, you didnt hit an artery. You would have had a LOT more blood than that if you had and that pin would have filled up with blood big time immediately! You did, however, hit a vein and now you have a hematoma (extravasated blood under the skin). Don't worry about it - its just like a big bruise. It will turn purple, then green, and then go away on its own.
    Thanks Duck, This hematoma is about 3" across, looks bad.
    But will I still be sexy with a big ass bruise on my leg?
    lol

Duck of Death is offline Associate Member
    ......I dunno, is your chick into bruises?? Make up a story about getting into a kung-fu fight with a couple of guys - she'll dig it!

paramedic is offline New Member
    Logan, the Duck is right if you would have hit an artery it would have filled the syringe quickly. If you stuck yourself on the lateral side of your quad you wouldn't even come close to a artery anyway. Your popliteal artery runs right behind your knee,it is very difficult to even palpate the pulse so that is not even feasible. The area of the hematoma and it's surrounding will be tender for a couple of days and then start turning these nice shades of color. Oh the yellow stage is the last. Just change your injections to the other quad for now.

dirtyvegas is offline Senior Member
    sry to hear that ... 1 bad one out of 120 injections is not too bad..Goodluck Bro

~DV~

pope84 is offline New Member
    yeah.. no worries on that.. It can swell up quite a bit; only happened one time to me and I could barely get my leg into my certain pants because it was a pretty large area.. but just give it some ice and rest on it for a bit to speed up the process... AND DON'T DO IT AGAIN (as if you can help it.. lol)!

Tazwell is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duck of Death
    my buddy had a hematoma.. it looked so bad, it was almost turning black, but he said it didn't hurt.

Thread Information