View Poll Results: how important is leg size to you??

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • I lift legs but i put very little thought into them

11 23.40%
  • legs are just as important as the upper body for total growth

27 57.45%
  • Legs are more important then the upper body for overall strenght

9 19.15%
    JuicyJim is offline Junior Member

How important is leg size to you??

Legs are often overlooked by people who lift weights heavy and often. Many people simply do not put as much thought and dedication into bigger and more defined hams, quads, and calves as they do biceps or chest. For those of you who do concentrate heavily on legs please give me your reasons why.

_Tiger_ is offline Member
    I dont know if you were only asking opinions from people who "concentrate heavily" on legs? the title says how important is it to me..and to tell you the truth, I dont want huge a$$ legs, I'd like a little more strength and toning, but yea, I dont want those big legs. thats just me

tonytone is offline Anabolic Member
    big legs complete the physique....and working legs help develop your other muscles...stimulation of large muscle groups increases testosterone production

Mesomorphyl is offline Smart Ass Member
    I think alot of leg and low back excersizes help with overall size.

stocky121 is offline VET~ Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    if you want to be the total package you need to train leg's just as much as the top half

okay then why dont' people train their lower body as much as they do their upper, you essentially work out your upper body 4-5 days a week and your lower body 1 day a week.

Keyser Sozey is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JuicyJim
    Legs are often overlooked by people who lift weights heavy and often. Many people simply do not put as much thought and dedication into bigger and more defined hams, quads, and calves as they do biceps or chest. For those of you who do concentrate heavily on legs please give me your reasons why.
    Personally, I prioritize legs on monday. Hate to sound pase, but legs are the roots.
    With weak roots, the tree falls. With squats and deads, everything else grows.
    JJ, I hate legs so much that I love them. Does that make sense?

that makes total sense keyser, i hate legs too, but i enjoy the challenge it gives me every time i have to lift them. it's a good hurt.

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    i love doing legs

chest6 is offline Banned
    I think more important....I hate it when guys have little legs and big upper bodies..i could just shove them right over

WelshWarrior is offline Senior Member
    I know this sounds snobby, but I just smile to myself at huge torsos and diddy legs like flamingoes.

It's all about attention to detail for me, couldn't bear to miss half of the picture.

okay then why dont' people train their lower body as much as they do their upper, you essentially work out your upper body 4-5 days a week and your lower body 1 day a week.
    my legs get trained almost 3 times a week:
    while i'm doing deads
    calves on (small muscle group day)
    and everything else on leg day ...soo
    lol jk

that makes total sense keyser, i hate legs too, but i enjoy the challenge it gives me every time i have to lift them. it's a good hurt.
    Hell yes brother! In fact, I'm going to burn em up right now.
    I know it's working when I need to stabilize to take a crap. Getting out of bed the second day after is real fun too.

jinos is offline Member
    Legs help your whole body grow. Without that they ain't s^&t. You can be big as hell and all I have to do is swipe kick you in the knees. I give respect to anyone who has big quads (lean mass that is). Legs are the key to getting big. Love squatting the best.

Mesomorphyl is offline Smart Ass Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sozey
    I know it's working when I need to stabilize to take a crap. Getting out of bed the second day after is real fun too.
    When you cant sit without going into failure, then cant get yourself up off the toilet... You had a good leg day. If not and you can climb stairs the next day, train harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesomorphyl
    When you cant sit without going into failure, then cant get yourself up off the toilet... You had a good leg day. If not and you can climb stairs the next day, train harder.
    LOL. Gripping the walls and the sink is the only way I can get of the sh*tter. No stairs for me, elevators

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    Too many pencil thin legs on top of killer upper bodies.

Why would you want to have a size 29 jean and a 50 inch chest? It just doesn't look strong

eGGz is offline Anabolic Member
    For me lower body I.E. quads/hams take longer to recover than lets say arms or delts or any other smaller muscle groups.

Exercising legs is just plain hard work. Some people are just plain too lazy to put out that much effort.

Symmetry is paramount; therefore all muscle groups including legs are important to me.

j martini is offline Member
    Legs are important because i dont want to look like a potato on toothpicks.

Logan13 is offline Banned

legs size

For the first time ever, my thighs now rub together when I walk. I have devoted alot of time to growing my "wrestler's legs". Having said that, I do not want to have massive legs, it may complete the package, but it hampers other athletic endeavours. If you are trying to compete in body building you must have alot of mass on those thighs, but if you are lifting for other sports...massive legs are not the way to go. 5'6", 187lbs, 7%, 47" chest, 31" waist,17+" arms, 28" thighs--legs are not massive, but they look good and more importantly to me, they are functional for other sports as well.
    IMO,
    Logan13

mkv213 is offline Member
    I think the worst looking thing is seeing a guy with a huge upper body and scrawny ass little pencil legs. It just looks horrible. To me legs are as equally important as the upper body, calves and all. I love working my legs. I work them until I feel like I'm gonna puke.

topvega is offline Anabolic Member
    i train my legs hard, but i guess i have poor genetics, because although they r real strong they r still on the small side and just don't want to grow like my upper body is...

i have a question... i know workin legs get's your test levels up which helps u overall, but wld it help up your test levels if u were say shut down from using gear??

lfrisbee is offline Associate Member
    I don't work my legs as much as an average person, simply because my legs are already pretty huge... Somewhat out of proportion to the rest of my body. I still do things like squats, calf raises, ham curls, leg press etc... to keep my strength up, but I don't put too much effort into building them.

Once I catch my upper body up to my legs, I'll start hitting them harder. I just don't want to look all mis-proportioned. The reason it got that way in the first place, is because I was a pitcher in college and you know what they say... "Pitcher's got a big butt..." They aren't lying its the truth My upper body was always kept kind of wiry to create that whip action that allowed me to throw the ball in the low 90's. Now that I'm done... I want to get BIG

Bigun is offline Senior Member
    Legs are the most important body part for me, I am 6 feet 4 so I need to work the wheels at a greater intensity and volume than upper body.

The best thing for me is seeing those gym bums who bear baggies all year around and never wear shorts because they have tooth picks for legs......all chest and arm assholes!

It is also a pschological factor for me as well. After a leg session I feel as strong as a bear and you have to have mental strength to get through a real leg session involving squats and especially giant sets.
    Last edited by Bigun; 08-02-2005 at 12:44 AM.

proironaust is offline Associate Member
    If you want freaky looking legs be prepared so spew from training to hard leg day sucks

I once puked from squats, ah..good times lol

Blackfoot PT is offline Junior Member
    Legs constitute 65% of your muscle mass. Nuff said.

TonyM is offline Junior Member
    its simply really, your body wont let you get a big top half if it has nothing to support itself down below.. therefore the bigger you legs are the bigger your body will ALLOW your top half to grow.

The Baron is offline Fourth Koala of the Apocalypse
    You don't wash half of your car. You don't mow half of your grass. You don't wipe half of your ass. So don't train half of your body. Upper body just doesn't want to grow like it could, if you are not working lower body intensely. If you wanna grow, you gotta squat. And DL or SLDL. I currently do a pull/push/legs split with lower back, glutes, and abs worked hard with legs.

--
    NO PMs for SOURCES!
    NO PMs for questions that should be asked on the board!
    NO "Thank You" PMs, please.
    PMs are for personal or sensitive questions or information, or for stuff that is not allowed to be posted on the board.
    Inappropriate PMs will not be read or acknowledged. Repeat offenders will be reported.
    -The Baron-

znak is offline Senior Member
    I love wobbling out of the gym on leg day and love the feeling the next day when you thunder around like a caveman. F*cking great feelings!

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    legs have always been slightly lagging behind my upper body, so i always train them HARD

i need BIG LEGS

Thread Information