Spyder is offline Member

Good tasting food.

Does anyone have any suggestions on foods i can eat during my cycle? Foods that taste good that is.
    Im into week 4 of my 10week cycle and the crappy tasting high protein and carb foods are really getting to me, i feel like i need to have something that tastes good once a week or so, something that is not high in fat, definately not junk food.
    I have been eating mainly tuna(cans), chicken(boiled, not fried), oats, bananas, peanut butter, whole grain high in fibre bread, eggs, milk and probably a few more things i can't remember right now.

Any input appreaciated, thanks.

znak is offline Senior Member
    Come to Russia for a week, eat the food here and then when you go back to your old diet, you'll think you died and went to heaven.

DoctorFeelgood is offline New Member

?

Hey Spyder, is that Adolf Hitler in your avatar? Weird....

Spyder is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFeelgood
    Hey Spyder, is that Adolf Hitler in your avatar? Weird....
    That's Michael Schumacher(my Idol), photoshopped to look like Hitler, all in good humour.

Now back on topic guys, comon, anyone?

Spyder is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by znak
    Come to Russia for a week, eat the food here and then when you go back to your old diet, you'll think you died and went to heaven.
    I've been to Bosnia to visit my relatives recently, it is near Russia and i gotta tell ya buddy, the food kicks @ss. The food is pure there, unlike here(Australia), where eveything is genetically modified in one way or another.
    Last edited by Spyder; 08-02-2005 at 06:38 AM.

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyder
    I've been to Bosnia to visit my relatives recently, it is near Russia and i gotta tell ya buddy, the food kicks @ss. The food is pure there, unlike here(Australia), where eveything is genetically modified in one way or another.
    I like serbian food, too (yes, I know it is a different country, but teh cuisine is about the same), but they use spices. The food here in Russia is organic, like more organic than you can handle. They actually hack your cut out of a cow with a hachet at the market. I swear to god! Meat and potatoes. No spices.

I use eggs, oatmeal, steak, chicken, and tuna, tuna, tuna and brown rice. I also vary my spices a lot when I cook. You can make chicken and brown rice a million ways if you have the spices, which I know is not a prob in Australia.

Seriously, try playing around with different spices.

ps-- I am going to dive the GBR in November, PM me if you know a good hotel in Cairns!

Spyder is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by znak
    I like serbian food, too (yes, I know it is a different country, but teh cuisine is about the same), but they use spices. The food here in Russia is organic, like more organic than you can handle. They actually hack your cut out of a cow with a hachet at the market. I swear to god! Meat and potatoes. No spices.

I use eggs, oatmeal, steak, chicken, and tuna, tuna, tuna and brown rice. I also vary my spices a lot when I cook. You can make chicken and brown rice a million ways if you have the spices, which I know is not a prob in Australia.

Seriously, try playing around with different spices.

ps-- I am going to dive the GBR in November, PM me if you know a good hotel in Cairns!
    Yeah similar kinds of foods in Bosnia and Russia, i know alot of Russian people there and they eat similar stuff, very nice people too.
    I will have to try a few different recipes i guess, with spices and maybe abit of salt too.
    I've never been to Cairns, im in Melbourne but i stayed for two nights last year at the Sheraton Hotel(on the 27th floor) in Brisbane which was great, very nice view if you get one of the top floors.

Ejuicer is offline Anabolic Member
    Brown rice, steak, pork loin, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bagels, fresh fish... There's lots of things you could be eating. I can't wait until sept when i start bulking again.
    Why not broil or bbq your chicken... That alone will taste a lot better.

The Baron is offline Fourth Koala of the Apocalypse
    CHop and grill chicken breasts with onions and celery. Top with green chile sauce or similar. Yum! A classic creole dish served in the home for breakfast is grits and grillades. You cook grits as per the package instructions and add a bunch of mild cheddar or velveeta or whatever cheese you like. Chop and grill some beef... sirloin, round steak, flank steak... cheap cuts work okay. I have even used thinly sliced beef hearts. Grill like on a grill top, not on a barbecue grill LOL! You can use a very large cast iron skillet. When some browning has occurred, add big chunks of onions and celery. Cook until the onions begin to turn slioghtly translucent. Add a can of Ro-Tel brand tomatoes... no others will do. They have green chiles in them. Let this simmer for 20 minutes. Spread a bed of the cheese grits on a plate. Top with the grillades. Delicious.

My favorite dish is probably my own take on oysters newburg. First I mince up a couple of slices of bacon into little bits, and brown slowly slowly in a cast iron skillet. If you keep the heat low and keep it moving, it won't leave little stickies in the skillet. Cook until the little bits are thoroughly browned and crackly. Pour off all but a couple tablespoons of the bacon grease. Throw in some chunked sweet onions and some green onions. Reserve some of the chopped green onion tops for later. Then drain a pint of shucked oysters while the onions get their edges browned. Add the oysters. A lot of the oyster water will cook out of the oysters, making a soupy broth. Cook until the liquid peaks and then reduces by 2/3. While you are doing that, beat a dozen eggs with a few tablespoons of cream. Turn the heat up all the way high and keep stirring. Add the eggs and reduce the heat again. Turn occasionally, make sure it doesn't stick. When eggs are half solidified, cover with grated cheddar. Meanwhile saute the reserved green onion tops in butter with a dash of cayenne pepper. Serve topped with the sauteed green onions on top or else with remoulade sauce for a different approach.

I also like to buy a small turkey and just throw it in the pot with veggies and forget about it for 6 hours or so. Makes a nice hearty soup you can eat for the next couple of days.

Another favorite of mine is chicken escabeche. Slice 2 or 3 medium or large onions. Remove the seeds from 3-4 large jalapenos and slice them up. Slice a couple of carrots thinly, on the bias. Marinate the onions carrots and chiles in vinegar with the juice of a half dozen limes. Let this work overnight. Next day cut up a chicken or two, remove the large fat deposits and brown lightly in olive oil. Drain the oil and add water to cover, and a teaspool of Lawry's season-all. More to taste. Cook until chicken is tender. Add coarsely chopped celery and cook for a few more minutes. Add the marinated veggies and a few tablespoons of the vinegar and turn off the heat. Let sit until cooled to serving temp. Serve straight up or with rice. Accompany with FRESH corn tortillas.

Nothing like a nice slab of tuna... but don't cook it. Find some wasabe, which is a paste made up of a japanese horseradish. It should be guacamole green in color and a dot of it on your finger touched to your tongue should clear your tonsils right up if it is genuine pure high grade stuff. A couple of brands that are weak but adequate are sold in plastic tubes like little tubes of toothpaste. Avoid the dried powder... it is just horseradish. Get some soyu sauce... doesn't have to be real gourmet stuff but should be the low salt variety. Kikkoman's with the green top is their lite version and is good. Try to find some pickled ginger. You can make your own by slicing ginger VERY thin, like paper, and marinating in rice wine vinegar and a bit of your favorite sake for a few days. Now take your tuna and slice it about 1/4" thick. Remove any white tendon or gristle or membranes. Rub a bit of wasabi on a piece, dip the corner in soy sauce and eat it up yum yum. Chase it after a couple of bites with a bit of the ginger. You will never go back to cooked tuna. Purists will argue but with frozen tuna half the price of fresh, I think frozen is quite the thing for sashimi. You can also, of course, make sushi if you have sushi rice and nori and know how to cook the rice properly, but I like the fish more than the rice. And it is quicker so I can get eating sooner.

--
    NO PMs for SOURCES!
    NO PMs for questions that should be asked on the board!
    NO "Thank You" PMs, please.
    PMs are for personal or sensitive questions or information, or for stuff that is not allowed to be posted on the board.
    Inappropriate PMs will not be read or acknowledged. Repeat offenders will be reported.
    -The Baron-

Check out the diet forum bro, there is a LOT of awesome recipes in there that will make a boring high protein diet a little more exciting to your taste buds.

I printed many of the recipes in there and tried quite a few when I got tired of plain chicken breasts, ground beef and can and cans and cans of tuna.

Red

toobigforyou is offline Associate Member
    thanks for the recipe baron!

Thread Information