madflabby is offline Associate Member

Best kind of cardio for dropping fat, NOT MUSCLE

On my last cutter I took up jogging, I got to where I could do a 10K no sweat, run for an hour on the treadmill and want to keep going. I lost a lot of weight, but a lot of muscle too. I've heard that 45 minute uphill walks are ideal for dropping fat w/out destroying all of that hard earned muscle.

What do you guys usually do to trim up w/out getting sucked up?

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by madflabby
    On my last cutter I took up jogging, I got to where I could do a 10K no sweat, run for an hour on the treadmill and want to keep going. I lost a lot of weight, but a lot of muscle too. I've heard that 45 minute uphill walks are ideal for dropping fat w/out destroying all of that hard earned muscle.

What do you guys usually do to trim up w/out getting sucked up?
    45 min walking on incline helps..or eliptical/stairmaster all low intensity.....and this is the steroid forum

rsmihula is offline Associate Member

this worked for me

I've been told by fellow bodybuilders that interval cardio is the best for losing fat and preserving muscle. I did the treadmill sprinted for 20 seconds and walked fast for 40 sec. and I also did the same on the bike. I got good results on this technique if the treadmill is to stiff I use to go down to the track and sprint the straight aways and walked on the bends for a total of 30-40 minutes in the morning on a empty stomach.

chest6 is offline Banned
    works as well

I never run, NEVER. It's hard on the knees, too easy to get your heart rate elevated too much, and eats muscle faster than all hell. What I normally do is a 3.5 mph walk on the incline treadmill. Let your arms swing naturally, it helps pull the obliques a little more and burns a few more cals than keep ing them on the handles. I will throw in the stairmaster a couple days a week as well, its a nice change and keeps it so your not too adapted to one thing.

Interval training is best for loosing BF. Get on a treadmill; warm-up, then intervals of sprints that last 1-2min for 20-25min or so first thing in the A.M. on an empty stomach.

chris2wire is offline Member
    SO you guys are saying harder work, less speed = better for muscles?

As in push your legs hard on a steep incline at a slower pace rather than walk fast or jog at a normal incline?

BuildaBeast is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 01dragonslayer
    Interval training is best for loosing BF. Get on a treadmill; warm-up, then intervals of sprints that last 1-2min for 20-25min or so first thing in the A.M. on an empty stomach.
    I have done both system. The only thing I wonder about for interval training is when you sprint on and off it's almost impossible to keep your heart rate low enough so that you stay into the fat burning zone. I use to think it was cool to get into the 187bpm zone and my kness hurt all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by chris2wire
    SO you guys are saying harder work, less speed = better for muscles?

As in push your legs hard on a steep incline at a slower pace rather than walk fast or jog at a normal incline?

It's got nothing to do with speed or work, its heart rate. Running makes it too high.

Smak is offline AR's Midget Beater
    I do the bicycle. This works your legs and keeps that hard earned muscle. 15 minutes before I workout is all I do. Sometimes I'll do the jumprope.

boardhead is offline Associate Member
    spin classes are a great way to get in interval training. not to mention all the titties bouncin around

CapnZ is offline Associate Member
    Buy yourself a heart rate monitor - like a Polar - and then take 220 - your age. That number is your max heart rate. Now keep your heart rate at 70 - 75% of that max number for about 40 - 45 min and you'll burn fat. I dont run either - too hard on the joints. I prefer a mix of plyometrics (jumping movements like jacks, cross hops and run lunge) and cardio kick boxing stuff. You can vary your pace real easily to keep your heart rate where you want it.

Bigun is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnZ
    Buy yourself a heart rate monitor - like a Polar - and then take 220 - your age. That number is your max heart rate. Now keep your heart rate at 70 - 75% of that max number for about 40 - 45 min and you'll burn fat. I dont run either - too hard on the joints. I prefer a mix of plyometrics (jumping movements like jacks, cross hops and run lunge) and cardio kick boxing stuff. You can vary your pace real easily to keep your heart rate where you want it.
    I agree with your comment of using a monitor Cap and I also use a Polar but I tend to work at a 60-70% of my MHR

madflabby is offline Associate Member
    Thanks for the feedback fellas, I've devided on this.

10 minute jog 6mph
    30 minute walk 3mph max incline.

So that's a 40 minute treadmill routine, I just tried it, I haven't jogged/ran in a while, my shins were screaming at me, I've put on about 30 lbs since I was running a lot in the spring.

I'm going to keep it mellow and do the long/slow/uphill walks w/an occasional stairmaster for a bit.

Rebel Yell is offline Associate Member
    Personally for me 20 min a day of Cardio on med-med high, AFTER my workout.
    Lowering my BF and NOT eating up my muscle.

For those who are looking to bulk, do even less.
    Vice versa for those trying to cut.

Thread Information