MindBomb is offline Member

Josh Barnett Nailed for steroid use

Here's the whole story. Man that sucks. Tell me who don't gear in mix martial arts these days, especially the heavy weights. Maybe Rizo

Allegations of Steroid Use Hits MMA -
    Current UFC Champion Josh Barnett
    Named in NSAC Complaint
    By Loretta Hunt

A bombshell was dropped on the mixed martial arts community late Wednesday, when it was reported that current UFC Heavyweight Champion Josh Barnett had tested positive for steroid use. Barnett voluntarily submitted to a urinalysis following his victory over former champion Randy Couture at UFC 36, held on March 22, 2002 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Upon receipt of the test results, Barnett had been verbally notified of the outcome during the week of April 15th and a formal written complaint, filed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC), was mailed to him one week later.

In the complaint released by Keith Kizer, Chief Deputy Attorney General and acting legal counsel for the NSAC, alleged violations included the use of the anabolic steroids Boldenone Metabolite, Fluoxymesterone Metabolite and Nandrolone Metabolite -- drugs or injections that are not approved for use by the NSAC.

Kizer confirmed that all sixteen competitors that evening had gone through standard drug testing, which includes testing for marijuana among other foreign substances (including masking agents), but not steroids. However, the four participants of the title fights -- Barnett, Randy Couture, Matt Hughes, and Hayato Sakurai -- were tested additionally for steroids. Barnett's urinalysis was the sole sample of the four to come back positive. All steroid tests were administered following the fights.

Barnett has twenty days to respond in writing to the allegations. At this time, he can admit to or deny the facts alleged in the complaint. Then, a hearing will be scheduled at the Commission's offices, where Barnett will have the opportunity to plead his case himself or through an attorney of his choice before the five-member board, chaired by Luther Mack. Marc Ratner, the Executive Director of the NSAC, will present the evidence relevant to the case at the proceedings, with Kizer there to assist him. If Barnett fails to appear at these hearings, a decision can still be reached in his absence. Explains Kizer, "The Commission must first decide whether or not there is sufficient evidence to show that Barnett did indeed use these non-approved drugs or injections. We use very high quality labs, so it will be hard for him to argue otherwise, but he's free to do so and he may be successful. If he is, then it ends right there." If the Commission does find sufficient evidence to prove that Barnett did use at least one of named anabolic agents, the fighter will then be penalized.

Presuming that he is found guilty, Barnett's license to fight in Nevada could be suspended for any given period of time deemed appropriate by the Commission, including permanent suspension or revocation of license. The least severe response would be to give Barnett a warning. In lieu of or in addition to the suspension or revocation of his license, the NSAC can also administer a penalty not to exceed $250,000 or 100% of Barnett's fighting purse, whichever is greater.

The NSAC does not have the jurisdiction to decide the status of the UFC Heavyweight title, which exchanged hands the night of testing. Says Kizer, "As the rules currently stand, there is no basis to overturn the decision [of the fight], and again, the belt is something that's beyond our control. The Commission does have the right in the future, if they so desire, to change their regulations to include something like this." For now, any determination to revoke the Heavyweight belt from Barnett, rule the fight a no contest, or even reinstate Couture as champion are all considerations left in the hands of the UFC's owners, Zuffa Sports Entertainment. When asked what the UFC may be considering in response to the allegations, UFC president Dana White had this to say, "There's nothing we can do. Really for me to say anything right now... I can't without seeing what the Commission says."

The NSAC has jurisdiction over the sports of boxing, kickboxing, "Toughman" competitions, as well as MMA, which it sanctioned as a sport in July of 2001. Starting January 1, 2002, the NSAC took a more aggressive stance with its drug testing and began regularly testing for steroids in title fights for all its unarmed combat sports. Josh Barnett's case is the first instance the Commission has ever had in which an unarmed combat sports competitor has tested positive for the anabolic agent. The only "similar" circumstance the Nevada Commission has had in the realm of MMA came last year, when UFC competitor Bobby Hoffman tested positive for marijuana and one of its masking agents following November's UFC 34. The Commission ruled to suspend Hoffman from the sport for one year. Will that case hold any precedent to this current one? Says Kizer, "The Commission has been used to marijuana or cocaine as being the drug that been tested positive in its competitors in the past, and those drugs usually aren't considered performance enhancing. This might be something to treat differently because it is something possibly or probably performance enhancing, but that's something the Commission will have to decide when they hold their regulations meeting in Nevada."

When reached for comment in Hawaii, where he is currently attending the SuperBrawl event, Barnett had this to say regarding the turn of events. "There's more to this than meets the eye." Matt Hume, Barnett's manager and trainer, could not be reached for comment.

It is public knowledge that Josh Barnett is in current contract negotiations with Zuffa, and rumors have run rampant regarding his future with the UFC as well as numerous MMA promotions around the world. When asked how these recent developments will effect negotiations with Barnett, again White stated, "It depends on what the Athletic Commission decides. If he gets suspended for a certain amount of time... it's serious. It's very serious. You have to look at us as a company and the money we've invested in Josh Barnett to build him up to the spot where he fights for the title, wins it, but then it doesn't count -- because he cheated?" But keeping in mind that the allegations are currently just that, he added, "The bottom line is, at the end of the day, we can talk and speculate all we want. Until he has a hearing, we really can't speculate or make any decisions till we find out. But if that was the case that he is guilty, then that would be my position." As for rumors that Barnett was or is being courted by rival promotions and how these new developments fit in with that, White had this to say: "This has nothing to do with him wanting to go to Japan or anything like that. All of that is speculation, too. Every conversation we've ever had with Matt Hume and Josh Barnett is that Josh and Matt are fairly dealing with us and us alone and they want to be a part if the UFC. And we want Josh Barnett to be a part of the UFC, or we wouldn't have made the investment we made putting him in the position for a title. As for the contract negotiations, I'm in them right now with Josh. I want Josh. I want him to be a part of the UFC, but it's all going to depend on how this thing ends up with the Commission."

Following a ruling by the NSAC, is there the possibility the Commission will suggest a course of action to Zuffa regarding Barnett's case? "No. I can't imagine we would. We're strictly under our own regulations - what, if any, discipline should be given to his license, and that's where we leave it at." says Kizer. Once Barnett responds to the charges, the formal hearing may not be scheduled for months, meaning a resolution to this situation is a long way off. At that time, the ball will then be in Zuffa's court as to Josh Barnett's future in the UFC. Claiming to just have gotten news of the allegations on Wednesday, Dana White says he is just coming to grips with the whole situation himself. "We really don't know what to do. We're going to sit back and see how this thing unfolds." As will the world of MMA.

Tedmax195 is offline Member
    Holy crap, he looked pretty flabby for being on the "juice" just my 2 cents.

solid90062 is offline Member
    ita no secret tons of these guy are juiced...In the Japanese leagues lots of guys regularly admit it without repercussion.

And Ted...they're fighters not bodybuilders---performance enhancers only

Thank-you for resiting the urge to flame btw what would they take for that for performance
    just curious

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    He looked pretty soft to me to be on EQ or anything else for that matter.... I didn't know that Nevada tested the UFC guys for roids...

ironfist is offline Elite Hall Of Fame ~ RIP ~
    And Ted...they're fighters not bodybuilders---performance enhancers only [/B][/QUOTE]

That's true, but Josh doesn't look like he's ever lifted weights, let alone juiced...Look at Kimo, Shamrock, Mark Coleman, Gary goodricde, Kevin randleman...None of them are bodybuilders but they are fucking yoked..

I myself wondered that, i have seen many "fighters" and they at least are in shape because i thought if the fight is going to go the distance you don't want to be carrying a few extra pounds but thats just my 2 cents.

MindBomb is offline Member
    That's true, but Josh doesn't look like he's ever lifted weights, let alone juiced...Look at Kimo, Shamrock, Mark Coleman, Gary goodricde, Kevin randleman...None of them are bodybuilders but they are fucking yoked..
    This above statement is true, by no means does Josh have a impressive body. However, if you look back on his previous fights, he was in even worse shape. I think it's very possible he use roids without the result that "we" seek for. There are plenty of guys who uses gear without discipline and don't achieve the rock hard status. Plus he did not have much of a base to start with.

Scorpion is offline Junior Member
    Eq, Deca , and Halo? Interesting choice but why why Deca? It's detectable for up to 18 months, it makes you blow up (which he was already too big and flabby to begin with) and the possible progesterone gyno was not gonna help his boobage any. I betcha if he would have visited this board beforehand, we could have helped him pick a better cycle and showed him how to pass his drug test too Another reason why this board rocks!

Funny, he's the only UFC guy I would never suspect who uses gear.

thegame01 is offline Member
    he must of been on the juice to beat randy the natural Couture lol . Actually Randy didn't look like his old self in that fight. I think he's getting tired.As far as Josh goes ,Nevada should leave him the fuck alone and stop being so ignorant to the fact that 80% of athletes do the stuff.Its a big fucking joke i think when someone gets caught for taking the juice and loses all he's worked for
    thats just my opinion ,i could be wrong

THE JU-ICE is offline Associate Member
    I don't care what Barnett took, hes a bad mother fucker. I believe he used the deca to ease joint pain from all the high impact sustained in the ring.

Adonis is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by thegame01
    As far as Josh goes ,Nevada should leave him the fuck alone and stop being so ignorant to the fact that 80% of athletes do the stuff.Its a big fucking joke i think when someone gets caught for taking the juice and loses all he's worked for
    thats just my opinion ,i could be wrong
    If you've seen the match, Josh was pinned down during the entire match!
    At the end, he completly over-powered Randy, came from underneath, pinned Randy down and completly pounded Randy punch after punch.
    Even Randy commented on how strong Josh was.

If Randy is natural then he deserves to win.

JMO.

bronzebeefcake is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by Tedmax195
    Holy crap, he looked pretty flabby for being on the "juice" just my 2 cents.
    Flabby??????If you think hes flabby now you should ve seen him here in hawaii when he fought severn(and won)....He was FAT!!!!!and FLABBY...Believe me he looks a 100 percent better now and we know why....

He still looks f**kin terrible please this is a bodybuiling board he looks bad he's flabby and that's all i know....

By the way in nhb fighting there are alot of great fighters who dont"look"like theyre in the best of shape..We got a heavyweight tournament here (2days)tonite and last and the most impressive fighter is not in the best of shape but he hits like a mack truck and has great stamina....His name is Cabbage and hopefully youll hear about him soon....In fact barnett is here making an appearance at the fights ( not fighting of course)......

By the way you dont have to be extra solid or extra strong to be good in the ring...good skill and the 3d's are what you need dedication/desire/determination...look at Jeremy horn when he took Frank Shamrock so late into their fight...Iheard he could barely bench 225 at the time....but he still did well...

Just a thought...Aloha Bronze......

The point i'm trying to make is that thise guys like shamrock(both brothers) Kimo Randy coutoure and all the rest looked like they where in good shape eg.. lean, cut...etc i can't believe josh is a "well conditioned athlete like i wanna believe...
    Last edited by Tedmax195; 04-28-2002 at 01:58 AM.

Wrathchild is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by Tedmax195
    The point i'm trying to make is that thise guys like shamrock(both brothers) Kimo Randy coutoure and all the rest looked like they where in good shape eg.. lean, cut...etc i can't believe josh is a "well conditioned athlete like i wanna believe...
    I agree with you 100%, this guys are fighters but they have to train hard, I guess they have to lift some weights at least as part of their stregth program, plus fighting, is a good cardio, and this guy looks like a lazy fat boy that's never practiced any sports. He might be a gifted fighter, but he doesn't look good at all

shoot1 is offline New Member
    As someone mentioned earlier, you don't have to look huge to be on AS. If Barnett is using than it just shows that in addition to many guys in NHB who are obvious users, there are many others that one wouldn't excpect. Since UFC hasn't had specific rules about AS (that I know of) they should leave him alone.

5minsforfighting is offline Associate Member
    Josh really cut his body fat down % from what is was before. I suspected it then that he was using some type of aas. I agree to Coleman, Big- Daddy Goodrich, and a few other fighters use aas. I know Tito called out Randleman and called him a juice head (or something in that nature). Thats what made randleman drop down to light heavyweight.

Well for those who say he looks like a lazy fat slob...Remember hes not a bodybuilder and doesnt take the stuff to look good....I dont know how closely you follow nhb fighting,but its obvious hes well trained and conditioned to be the best in his sport.........ARE YOU????????????

I seen his first fight and Ive seen his last and believe me hes cut ALOT! of weight....

foreverblast1 is offline Junior Member
    it should be obvious to everyone that just cuz you use gear does not mean you would look good... Goto various boards and look at the member pics, I guarantee you'd find it hard to believe that some of those people use roids at all as well...

There are many stages of juicing and some people are only beginners in this game.. maybe it was the first time he used gear? ever thought of that possibility? if he knew what he was doing he wouldn't be stacking eq with deca , and if he wasn't stupid he wouldn't use deca at all... that shit is detectable for an extra long period of time

THEGAME187 is offline Associate Member
    There is a new dude who debuted in PRIDE last night and he was 6"4 and 360lbs with 10% bodyfat now that is someone i would suspect to be on roids,,,,,,But Barnett does have some good roid rages though!

5minsforfighting is offline Associate Member
    Yeah Bob Sapp. He was a pro football player for 4 years. Put 2 and 2 together

Thread Information