mkv213 is offline Member

Can to much sleep be bad?

Can to much sleep put you into a catabolic state or anything? Seems all I can do lately is sleep.

taylor26 is offline Member
    I have heard the reason why they support certain amounts of sleep is because the more sleep you get the more tired you are. Not really sure why but I feel like I can testify towards it. Maybe someone else knows a little bit more than me.

stryker5555 is offline Junior Member
    I cant honestly say but im having the same problem as you...good question...I like to hear the answer to this too ....

Do you have a daily routine or are they just days where things happen rarely to go and do?

Samson7 is offline Member
    i find the more i sleeo the more tired i am when i get up too...but once i wake up and get going i feel great with more sleep. Just personal experience though

Killer Bulk is offline Junior Member
    I jus started cardio early in the mornings and wieghts in the evenings. what I noticed is that before when i was waking up late or sleepin too much i felt tired through out the whole day but now even though i get about 8 to 9 hours sleep and i wake early i feel alot fresher and awake even after cardio.

Maetenloch is offline Associate Member
    Extra sleep is almost always a good thing. However, sleeping a lot can be a symptom of other issues - depression, apnea, etc. especially if you don't feel refreshed a few hours after waking up.

crazykris6 is offline Junior Member
    I believe that to much sleep is bad for anyone.. It makes you more tired and is not healthy.

Gassy is offline Junior Member
    Are you on right now? I believe that it is very taxing for the body to grow, look at how much growing and sleeping a baby does. As long as your still getting your protein and calories in it's ok to sleep a lot. I wake up once a night and stuff my face when I'm on.

mkv213 is offline Member
    Yes I have a daily routine. Work, gym, etc. I think this tren is making me tired as hell though. I've had the past 2 days off cuz of rain and I've pretty much done nothing but sleep all day. Like 16hrs total. I do suffer from depression and anxiety but I take paxil for that. Since I've started this tren that all I feel like doing is sleeping. I don't mind, I love to sleep but I just don't want to get too much where it will mess with my gains.

Uconish is offline Member
    too much sleep is definately not a good thing. one would have to examine himself and pinpoint why he is sleeping so much. like maetanloch said, often times the leading cause of someone over sleeping is due to depression. I now this from personal experience. Depression is a serious illness that effects alot of people. Steroid users included. Be smart about your actions, and try to catch the symptoms earlier enough so that no further action must be taken.

ward065 is offline Member
    16 hours of sleep a day? that is a lot of sleep!

i think 16 hours is a bit overkill....i shoot for 8-10 hours of sleep per night, upper end on friday/ saturdays.

mkv213 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ward065

i think 16 hours is a bit overkill....i shoot for 8-10 hours of sleep per night, upper end on friday/ saturdays.
    That's not everyday, just the past 2 days. I haven't worked the past 2 days because of rain and didn't have anything else to do. I woke up ate, watched some PRIDE FC and went back to sleep for like 3 hrs, woke up again, ate and took another nap for a few more hrs. For some reason I've always been nocturnal and sleep like a baby during the day time.

Too much sleep will def **** you up. Try this, set your alarm clock so you sleep 8 hours, then as soon as you wake up hit some cardio, cardio always wakes me up.

Jsik98 is offline Member
    Your body has an internal clock called a circadium rhythm. The healthiest way to live is to live on schedule with your own circadium rythm which should be making you tired at a certain time (depending entirely upon when you decide to set the rhythm by what time you go to sleep) and waking you up at a certain time (which will be whenever your brain and body has resythesized enough hormones, enzymes, neurotransmitters, and a host of other chemicals that you use to function everyday. Your body will release melatonin among other chemicals at around the time it's used to going to sleep. Sleeping 16 hours a day is a sign that you have completely off set your rhythm and your body has an abundance of downer chemicals like serotonin & melatonin which just keep you feeling drowsy which is probably why you're able to sleep that much. However, my personal feeling is since it was raining you probably just didn't have anything better to do but sleep.......or possibly the tren you're using is wearing down your system. Either way, try to set a time to go to sleep and a time to rise and your circadium rythm will reset. You can even take melatonin when you want to pass out and it'll get the job done and you can wake up feeling alert and alive. If not, take a couple scoops of SuperCharge and you'll be good to go!

Jsik98 is offline Member
    Fukc, just realized this post is two fukcin years old!

goalseeker is offline Anabolic Member
    holy crap.. I didnt even notice that either!!
    good question though.. there is always a question about sleep.. everyones pattern is different...believe it or not.. I only get 5-6 hours a night...kinda tired in the morning at first... but.. Its mainly cuz Im almost finished the race car Ive been building for 5 months....up in the shop till 1am almost every night.. I gotta go to bed earlier....

thejuiceisloose is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I have to agree with Samson7, if you sleep for long periods of time (10+hrs) you will be tired and want to go back to sleep. That happened to me for a week. I snapped out of it, and only sleep 8hrs, 9hrs the most. I have way more energy than when I slept 10+ hrs

Sometime soon, cuz Im midcycle right now, I gotta try to get at least 8.. should give me a bit more energy.. Ive noticed sometimes I yawn before working out. Ive always heard that if your yawning, dont bother lifting.. dont know how true that is though...

johnsomebody is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsik98
    How can it be two years old? The first post is dated yesterday! Maybe I'm missing something.

Anyway, I had sleep problems once and did a ton of reading on it and it turns out MOST people are running around without nearly the amount of sleep they really need. I'm really really lucky cuz I can go to bed when I'm tired and sleep til I'm not and I've discovered I NEED 10 hours of sleep/night. That's not uncommon at all, it turns out. Plus growth takes a LOT of energy in itself, so sleeping a lot on a cycle is one of the best things you can do. Don't beat up yourself about it -listen to your body and as long as you're getting the nutrition you need, if it says "sleepy" SLEEP!

mkv213 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsik98
    It's not 2 years old, I just posted it today. I think you're looking at when I became a member 2 years ago.

Maetenloch is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsomebody
    Anyway, I had sleep problems once and did a ton of reading on it and it turns out MOST people are running around without nearly the amount of sleep they really need. I'm really really lucky cuz I can go to bed when I'm tired and sleep til I'm not and I've discovered I NEED 10 hours of sleep/night. That's not uncommon at all, it turns out. Plus growth takes a LOT of energy in itself, so sleeping a lot on a cycle is one of the best things you can do. Don't beat up yourself about it -listen to your body and as long as you're getting the nutrition you need, if it says "sleepy" SLEEP!
    A majority of people, AR readers included, are operating with a chronic sleep deficit. Recent research shows that the average amount of sleep you need every night is genetically determined, and no amount of training or discipline can really change this. However, people do retain quite a bit of cognitive ability even when severely sleep deprived, and often fool themselves that they can get by with less. I recall reading about an army study that found soldiers were still able to perform at 90% level even after 48 hours without sleep. However this is clearly not the optimal condition for growth. If you fall asleep within 5 minutes of going to bed, this is a sign you're sleep deprived - normal sleep latency is 10 to 20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by ward065

I swear it's somewhere around that the average person should be getting 8-10 hours of sleep each night. You should try and keep yourself occupied and not overwhelm your body with so much sleep bro.

man.. am I out of whack if thats how much I should be getting!!

SukaDaddio is offline Junior Member
    IMO too much of anything can be bad for you.

crewe21 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SukaDaddio
    IMO too much of anything can be bad for you.
    I second that

1819 is offline Senior Member
    personally ive have always survived on 4-6 hrs. im talkin at least the last 20 years or so. the last 3 months or so its been asleep by 3 am up at 8. when im in miami its sleep by 5 or 6 am up by 11. been doin that 20 years. definitly a 40 minute nap in the afternoon though. cant live without a quick nap. not too long, thats the key.

Well, like Maetenloch says, most people aren't getting enough sleep and that's when they're not on gear and NEED plenty of recovery time to get the most out of it. The whole "more than 8 hours is a sin" thing is a wacked holdover from Puritanism, IMO. Research shows a lot of people physiologically need much more than that.

Here's an easy way to tell if you're sleep deprived, and Maetenloch referred to it obliquely: any time during the day, lie down somewhere quiet and take it easy. If you fall asleep within 20 minutes, you're sleep deprived. The weird thing is, you develop what's called a "sleep debt" and it can take a LOT of extra sleep for days to actually get "caught up" on the sleep you've missed and get to a normal waking state rather than a sleep-deprived one. Most people don't even know what that's like.

For more info check out "The Promise of Sleep" by William C Clement.

mkv213 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsomebody
    Well, like Maetenloch says, most people aren't getting enough sleep and that's when they're not on gear and NEED plenty of recovery time to get the most out of it. The whole "more than 8 hours is a sin" thing is a wacked holdover from Puritanism, IMO. Research shows a lot of people physiologically need much more than that.

Here's an easy way to tell if you're sleep deprived, and Maetenloch referred to it obliquely: any time during the day, lie down somewhere quiet and take it easy. If you fall asleep within 20 minutes, you're sleep deprived. The weird thing is, you develop what's called a "sleep debt" and it can take a LOT of extra sleep for days to actually get "caught up" on the sleep you've missed and get to a normal waking state rather than a sleep-deprived one. Most people don't even know what that's like.

For more info check out "The Promise of Sleep" by William C Clement.
    Thanks bro, good stuff!
    The way I look at it, if my body says I need a nap and I fall asleep...so be it. I tend to put on much more than the average guy using AAS, could be all of the extra sleep I get. Maybe I sleep so much because I have no life, hate TV and sleeping is a good cure for bordem. Or it could be all of the years in my past when I stayed up for 5-6 days at a time, slept for 2 then stayed up for 5-6 more days. Years of that and now I'm playing catch up.

ant_8u is offline Senior Member
    Is too much sleep bad?
    Yes

Why?
    Because as you stated, it's too much!

Sleeping all the time will lead to lethargy throughout the rest of the day
    You'll feel tired all the time, including in the gym

So yes, too much sleep could hinder your gains

Zapp is offline Banned
    Wish I had that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ant_8u
    Is too much sleep bad?
    Yes

Why?

What is this based on? All the research in sleep studies show the opposite. Sleep can only hinder your gains if you sleep instead of working out. When people experience lethargy after extended sleep it's because they're still sleep deprived and haven't fully recovered from what Clement calls their "sleep debt". Like I said, it's proven that it can take several days of extra sleep to recover from the sleep-deprived state a lot of people are in.

I honestly used to think that way til I tried it myself. Used to be I'd start falling asleep anytime I sat more than 10 minutes or so, including while driving. Now that I'm getting enough sleep every day that sort of thing never happens.

Also, like I said, being on gear is about recovery, which only happens at rest, not just heavy lifting.

eGGz is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ant_8u
    Is too much sleep bad?
    Yes

Why?

Yep I agree, IMO too much of anything is bad for you. The words "too much" in my mind are synonymous with the word overdose.
    Last edited by eGGz; 08-13-2005 at 01:24 PM.

MatrixGuy is offline Good things come to those who wait
    Quote Originally Posted by mkv213
    Yes I have a daily routine. Work, gym, etc. I think this tren is making me tired as hell though. I've had the past 2 days off cuz of rain and I've pretty much done nothing but sleep all day. Like 16hrs total. I do suffer from depression and anxiety but I take paxil for that. Since I've started this tren that all I feel like doing is sleeping. I don't mind, I love to sleep but I just don't want to get too much where it will mess with my gains.
    How may cycles have you done before bro? How do AAS effect you when already suffering from depression/anxiety? I believe steroids and depression dont go to well together.

rager is offline Member
    Sleep is diff for everyone. I can get 8-9 hours some days and feel great and the next feel like complete crap. It has to do with stress, diet, daily events it always changes. Try swiching things up a bit and see what works for you?

Thread Information