Maroubra is offline Junior Member

Pre-employment drug screen(Benzodiazepines)

Anyone know if Benzodiazepines are typically tested for in pre-employment drug screen. Basically I took a few Klonopins earlier this week and wondering how long they stay in your system? Drug screen probably early next week.

flexin-rph is offline Member
    The 1/2 life of Klonopin (clonazepam) is between 30-40 hours. Therefore, if it has
    been around 120 hours, it should be undetectable.

Alpha-Male is offline Senior Member
    most drug screens are 7-10 panels with pH and creatnine integrity checks, and YES, they do check for benzos...however, i recently had one for a school program, and i take Somas like they're going outta' style, at least 3-4/day for the past 5-6 weeks (cuz my herniated disc), and tested negative....sooooo, probably wouldn't worry...

AM

wink182 is offline Associate Member
    I thought benzo's stayed longer than that. Opiate pain killers are gone in 120 hrs, be on the safe side and slam as much water as possible all the way up to your test.

956Vette is online now AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    You will fail for benzo's no doubt.

sinista63 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wink182
    I thought benzo's stayed longer than that. Opiate pain killers are gone in 120 hrs, be on the safe side and slam as much water as possible all the way up to your test.
    it all depends on the benzo. for example, xanax has a half-life of 6-12 hours while valium has a half-life of 20-100 hours (although it can be up to twice as long in obese persons).

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-Male
    most drug screens are 7-10 panels with pH and creatnine integrity checks, and YES, they do check for benzos...however, i recently had one for a school program, and i take Somas like they're going outta' style, at least 3-4/day for the past 5-6 weeks (cuz my herniated disc), and tested negative....sooooo, probably wouldn't worry...

AM
    i don't think the standard urine screenings test for meprobamate or carisoprodol. they are structurally related to barbiturates but i believe it requires a seperate, specific test for them.

TallMan is offline Associate Member
    I've been in a detox center for a while cause of canabis problems
    and most alcaholics where getting benzo's so they wouldnt get delerium.
    There I've heard that benzo's stay in your blood for at least 2 weeks.

Blog Entries
    half-lives dont mean shit in terms of drug screens folks. Take deca for example. Deca is detectable for up to 18 months or so...you dont see its half life anywhere near that.

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    Detection Times

------------------------------

- nandrolone decanoate

18 months

----------------------------------------

- nandrolone phenylpropionate

12 months

- boldenone undecyclate
    - metehenolone enanthate
    - trenbolone
    - trenbolone acetate
    - injectable methandienone

5 months

- testosterone -mix (Sustanon & Omnadren )
    - testosterone enanthate
    - testosterone cypionate

3 months

- oxymetholone
    - fluoxymesterone
    - injectabel stanozolol
    - formebolone
    - drostanolone propionate

2 months

- methandienone
    - mesterolone
    - ethylestrenole
    - noretadrolone

3 weeks

- oxandrolone
    - oral stanozolol

3 weeks

- testosterone propionate

2 weeks

- testosterone undecanoate

1 week

- clenbuterol

4 days

Blog Entries
    lol, what is that about gsxxr? little OT, but good info nonetheless

G-1000 is offline Cycle King/AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Blog Entries
    just to shot that half lifs have nothing to do with Detection Times.

Alpha-Male is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sinista63
    i don't think the standard urine screenings test for meprobamate or carisoprodol. they are structurally related to barbiturates but i believe it requires a seperate, specific test for them.
    good to know

Sooo, if the screen is next week, say wednesday, that will be 10 days since last dose. Taken about 10 klonopins over prior week. I am lean 10-12% bf, 200 lbs, 1-2 gals water a day. Any product to help pass the test or will I be alright??

Quote Originally Posted by TallMan
    I've been in a detox center for a while cause of canabis problems
    and most alcaholics where getting benzo's so they wouldnt get delerium.
    There I've heard that benzo's stay in your blood for at least 2 weeks.
    librium (chlordiazepoxide) is one of the more common oral benzo's used to treat alcohol withdrawal (delirium tremens). the half-life for the parent compound is up to 48 hours and its metabolite's half-life can be up to 95 hours. the common rule of thumb is that after about 3 half-lifes you might have enough drug cleared to be undetectable, which corresponds to a minimum of 11.875 days if you take into account the metabolite's long half-life. but, if you'd really want to make sure that you're mostly cleared of the drug, 7 half-lifes would allow 99.9% of the metabolites to be gone but this would unfortuanetly take about 27 days to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by 956Vette
    half-lives dont mean shit in terms of drug screens folks. Take deca for example. Deca is detectable for up to 18 months or so...you dont see its half life anywhere near that.
    half-lifes mean a lot when it comes to detection times. for instance, lets address your example. although the commonly quoted half-life of nandrolone decanoate is 6-8 days (and i've heard people claim up ot 11 days), it is obvious to anyone that this is well below what the detection time is for the drug. even if 7 half-lifes were allowed to pass, you'd still be looking at all of the drug being gone in 56 days (well below the 12-18 month detection time). the problem with nandrolone and many other steroids is that it is metabolized into other compounds. these metabolites do not have the same half-life as the parent compound and therefore are perfect tools for testers to use in detecting steroid use . i do not have a half-life that i can quote for the metabolites of nandrolone, but one study that i managed to dig up showed that even after a single 150 mg dose of nandrolone, two metabolites were still present in concentrations above the detection threshold 6 months later. therefore, when deca is used in its normal way (not a one time shot) you have accumulation of the product and a higher average concentration in the serum. which means that even though most drugs follow concentration-independent elimination kinetics, it may take longer to get the concentration down enough so that the drug is no longer detectable.

which leads me to the second point of my reply. although half-lifes are critical in determining the length of time a person will test positive for a drug, the other important factor is the thresholds and sensitivities of the tests used by laboratories. lets say for example that someone is given doses of drug Z and it results in concentrations of about 100 mg/ml in the body. lets say this drug has a half-life of 48 hours. after 7 half-lifes (14 days), it can be said that about 99.9% of the drug has been cleared from the body. so lets say that there really is 0.1 mg/ml of this drug floating around in the body. which seems to be a lot less than there originally was. but, lets say the person goes to get drug tested and their threshold for a positive value is 10 mcg/ml (0.01 mg/ml). this person will most likely test positive since their drug level is 10 times higher which will cause the concentration of the drug in the urine to still be elevated. this also is why drinking a lot of water may throw off testing labs. its not that the water "flushes" the drug out of the system any faster, it simply dilutes the urine to a point where the laboratory tests aren't sensitive enough to detect it. but that is also why organizations such as the NCAA test the urine's specific gravity to see if it has been diluted to a point that will interfere with detection.

going back to drug Z. in a scenario such as that, more half-lifes would have to go by for the person to not test positive in the laboratory. also, i have heard of laboratories developing more sensitive tests to detect deca. this doesn't mean that they will be able to find magic fingerprints left by this drug. it only means that they now will be able to detect drug at even lower concentrations (including its metabolites). i believe the current threshold is around 2 ng/ml. maybe this new tech will bring it down to 1.5 ng/ml or 1 ng/ml which will now mean that the detection time will be even longer for deca. it'll go from 12-18 months to 18-24 months or even longer. which, in turn, simply shows that even more half-lifes will have to elapse before a test so that the remaining concentration in the body is well below the detection threshold.

hope that all made sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-Male
    good to know
    yes... quite good

one more point

there are instances that half-life and detection times are more difficult to determine. this is usually the case in drugs that obvserve michalis-menton kinetics or have saturable enzyme pathways. common examples are ethanol and aspirin. i do not believe any anabolic steroids follow these types of pharmacokinetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroubra
    Sooo, if the screen is next week, say wednesday, that will be 10 days since last dose. Taken about 10 klonopins over prior week. I am lean 10-12% bf, 200 lbs, 1-2 gals water a day. Any product to help pass the test or will I be alright??
    you might be cutting it a little close but that all depends on the minimum concentration the test detects. 10 days after your last dose, more than 97% of the drug should have cleared from your system. but that is in the worst case scenario. you might metabolize benzos a little faster, which in that case you should be well in the clear.

crazydick is offline Junior Member

detection sucks

I just applied for a job and found out thay have mandatory drug testing, are they really going to test for steroids ? How can I find out before I take the test if they are looking for juice? If so, that's bullshit, who ****ing cares. I can see id I was smoking crack, but I only do rock on Sundays so I am sure they won't find it! jk on the rock, but am I ****ed with my juice!

steroids aren't usually part of a standard drug screening for employment. it takes more expensive testing and most companies don't want to shell out the money.

sinista63, thanks for the insight? Hey any products you know of, besides swapping urine, to help pass the screen. Ive read alot about carb drinks which keep you 'clear' for up to 5 hours. Any more insight? What about testing for steroids , i know its not common, but does it happen for pre employment? By the way its a screen for a pharm sales rep position. Can they test for eveything at once?

Quote Originally Posted by Maroubra
    sinista63, thanks for the insight? Hey any products you know of, besides swapping urine, to help pass the screen. Ive read alot about carb drinks which keep you 'clear' for up to 5 hours. Any more insight? What about testing for steroids, i know its not common, but does it happen for pre employment? By the way its a screen for a pharm sales rep position. Can they test for eveything at once?
    i personally haven't used any products so maybe someone can offer some insight on the topic. what a lot of these products do is dilute the urine through diuresis to the point where its difficult to detect drugs in the urine. there are some other tricks that may work as well. adding powdered, unscented or liquid chlorine bleach to the urine will cause a false-negative. you just have to be careful not to throw the pH of the urine off from physiologic levels. below is a little link i found that may contain some information for you. the problem with a lot of the stuff you buy is that not much of it has ever been tested to see if it really works. be cautious in using anything.

for the sales rep position i doubt they will test for steroids . even though they could do it all at once, they usually don't because of the cost. they're more concerned about the more common offenders such as marijuana, barbiturates, opiates, amphetamines, and PCP. they sometimes don't even test for benzo's.

maybe someone with more experience with masking agents can better answer your question.

http://www.aaap.org/newsletter/wi01insert.pdf

Thread Information