Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dr.Evil is offline Retired Moderator

Know Your Rights! Don't Ever Talk To The Cops!

needless to say, we live in one of the best countries in the world because we citizens are given so many basic rights for our own protection. unfortunately many don't have full knowledge of these rights or don't understand the importance of upholding these rights.

by being in this lifestyle you're putting yourself at risk for getting a visit by law enforcement. the risk may be very small depending on how careful you are and what risks you take, but it's still there, so it is very important that you understand what your rights are if you do get a visit and be prepared for what you should do.

when being questioned by law enforcement, never say anything! never sign anything to waive your right to remain silent. this is a very important right, so don't deny yourself of it! the feds will threaten you saying that the judge will frown on you for not cooperating with the investigation, but that all bullshit. remember, the reason they would get frustrated is because they're looking for as much evidence as they can to convict you in the court of law and they're hoping that much of this evidence will come from your mouth. if you don't talk then they can't use that against you in the court of law, so they get pissed. uphold your constitutional right to not talk to law enforcement, even if they just want to ask you questions about someone else. a statistic given to me by a lawyer says that 90% of people arrested for the first time waive their right to remain silent and ends up talking either out of fear, ignorance, or the belief that they can convince law enforcement of their innocence. this statistic goes way down for 2nd and 3rd time offenders when they learn that talking can only hurt them. even if you're completely innocent, the cops can twist your words around and make you look guilty in court. i've seen it happen before. if your explanations of innocence really makes sense do you think the feds are going to provide that as evidence in court to help you out? hell no! they leave out anything you say that may help you and keep anything that makes you look incriminating. bottom line: NEVER TALK TO THE FEDS NO MATTER HOW MUCH THEY THREATEN YOU

a good place to store your valubles away from feds attention is a friend's home. if he's not willing to take on the responsibility then put it in a gym locker or storage facility. search warrants almost never encompass these places.

never consent to a search of your house. it doesn't matter if they show you a search warrant or not. they'll search anyway if they have a warrant, but just let it be on record that you did not give permission to search because the warrant usually has restrictions as to how much the feds can search and what they can take, but if you give consent to search then that will superscede any limitations of the search warrant.

never consent to a search of your vehicle if you have anything to hide. the only way they can legally search your vehicle and use the evidence they find against you in court is if they have a search warrant or your permission. you will not be arrested if you uphold your right to not let them search you car.

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    From one post whore to another, that's good advice Dr. Evil.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    Or move to canada, we can have personal amounts no problem just as long as they can't prove you brought or are selling them. Go figure that law out....

gettinthere is offline Associate Member
    I never let them search my car, regardless of what I do or dont have in it. i think its kind of fucked up that a cop thinks he can just look through my shit because I'm driving late at night or whatever. When i'm with my friends they always consent to search because they're scared. Of course if you say no they ask what you're hiding and I just say i'm protecting my privacy. One cop went on and on with me and kept bugging me about it for five minutes straight so I told him that I would follow him to his house, go through his personal car and house, then he can search mine. He let me go.

Ironweb is offline Member
    That is good advise Dr. Remember when you talk now they know what they know and what you know. Keep your mouth shut and get a lawyer if you can not afford one then one will be appointed to you. Maranda (if i spelled that right) 101 rights.

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    I have many friends that have "given" in to cops before because the cops were telling them they are "friends", or will they will work with you if you work with them!!!! That's BS.

A cop that pulls you over or comes to your house is not your friend!!!! No matter what they say or how they say it! It is their job to get evidence against you. If they don't get evidence, they are not doing their job effectively. So, in other words, if you don't cave in to their demands, their job is not being done not effectively and they will have to go someplace else.

Many times they word their question for consent in very ambiquos (sp?) manner. "Please get out of the car" Is that asking you if you will get out of your car or demanding you to get out of your car? "We are going to search your car now, ok" Theoretically, you do not have to do anything unless you have been arrested, i.e. in your autiomobile. You can ask the officer if you are under arrest, and if he says no, say "Sir, I would rather stay in my car right now" or "Sir, I do not want you to search whatever". Many times, just being polite and saying "no" will cut them off. Many people don't realize you can do certain things, they just assume that if a cop says something then it has to be done. Very good post Dr E.

peace,
    ttgb

ttgb,
    You are right about most of that, but if a cop asks you to step out, you have to do so. they may be trying to ascertain (ooh good word!) your sobriety. You dont necessarily have to be under arrest. You can actually be arrested for failure to obey an order from a public officer. Example: A friend of mine parked illegally in front of my apts. A parking enforcement officer pulled up and called a tow truck. Before the truck got there he went out to move the car, even though the lady told him he wasn't allowed to. After he did anyway, the real cops showed up and took his ass to jail for failure to obey her. The judge convicted him and he got 15 hours c.s. We were both a little surprised about that. So basicly if a cop orders you to do something, do it. Its probably ok if you ask, "are you ordering me to do this?" if you really want to. Also, cops can briefly look inside your car without any warrants or permission, they get away with this by saying they're checking for weapons that you could decide to use on them, so they look on and even under the front two seats.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Just an additional comment. Many think that the police have to tell you the truth. One of their biggest tactics in setting you up and getting you to talk and hurt your case is that they will lie to you in order to get under your skin and have you say something that will get you in more trouble. When the police are speaking to you they can lie, lie, and lie some more in an attempt to get you upset enought to say something. For example they like to seperate people when questioning tehm, partly to keep you from hearing the others person's story (in case they don't match) but also so they can lie and say the other person said something to implicate you. This is in hopes that you will either turn on the other person or slip up and implicate yourself. Good post, best to keep your mouth shut, talk to a lawyer only, deal with it in court.

Anytime a cop "demands" you to do something, do it or risk getting your ass beat or shot.

Sometimes their "demand" is not truly a demand though. Many people do not realize this. The other thing I mentioned was "be polite" and to say "yes sir, no sir".

In the case with the car, the law had already been broken (car parked illegaly) and your buddy was interfering with an officer.

If a cop "asks" you to step out, you can answer "sir, no thanks". If a cop "tells" you to step out, get the hell out of your car!!!!!

But that's what I was saying, many times the cops are not clear on how they say things. Then when it comes to court and your attorney is trying to claim illegal search and seizure, the DA says not true because you voluntarily got out of your car and you let them search it!!!

peace,

ttgb
    Last edited by tryingtogetbig; 03-18-2002 at 02:25 PM.

gchild is offline New Member
    As a newbie....this is a great post. Thanx Dr. Evil for lookin' out for all of us. Thanx for the knowlegeable post.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Glad I live in the UK sometimes when it comes to AAS

Deadend is offline Associate Member
    your stock is rising, Dr. Evil

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Originally posted by Billy Boy
    Glad I live in the UK sometimes when it comes to AAS
    Like the new avatar Billy Boy !

I see what you're saying now ttgb, I read your post too fast the first time. You're right on. And scott, about them lying, you couldn't be more right about that. I have seen so many people fall into that trap! I have had a cop threaten to take me to jail because I wouldn't tell him who two people racing motorcycles down my street were. I kept telling him i didn't know them and take me to jail if he wants. Needless to say, he didn't!

bigwillster is offline Associate Member
    Another great post by Dr. Evil. Good looking out bro.

BIG_JDAWG is offline Associate Member
    Dr.Evil, again you amaze me. you have some of the best posts on here. thanks for the GREAT info. i know you have been a big help not only to the new guys, but even to the vets. i think your status should be changed to "Wiseman" lol

Big J

i'm happy i can help.

bump

hammerhead is offline Member
    Bump again.

I've consented to searches by the police of my car because I knew they could find nothing and I wanted to go on my way. That may have been a mistake. Being in a hurry and wanting to cooporate with the cops to satisfy them so you can get on with life may be another flaw of common interaction with law enforcement. The "I just want to look under your seat" request is tantamount to saying "You may search my car" from a legal perpective. Be careful to what you consent and remember in the court of law it's your word against the police officer - if you really think they're going to be honest i've got some land in south Florida i'd like to sell you.

popeyethasailah is offline Junior Member
    hey, this information is awesome. i guess there is a lot i dont know about the law, and if any of you have any good internet links or books that explain this kind of shit, i would definetly appreciate some info on that, thanks a lot.

popeyethasailah is offline Junior Member
    the main reason, and its a little off topic...i got a speeding ticket, and i wasnt going even 10mph close to the speed he gave me, have no idea as to what i can do to save my ass. there must be some stuff and im constantly looking, i will lose my liscence for a whole year if convicted for this.

jon
    jon is offline Associate Member
    Nice post. I'm happy that I live in Belgium

ROOKIE22 is offline Junior Member
    Just one point to add. I don't know about all fifty, but in New Jersey in order for a poice officer to even ask you to conduct a consensual search of your vehical they will first need reasonable suspition. If you gave him no reasonale suspition ask him what he has on you. Some cops make things up after a finding has been made. Throw them off by asking them questions. If you come across like you have knowledge of laws it could change the way they will deal with you. They will be less likely to break any of your constitutional rights. Police get away with breaking rights every day because not enough people know them.........

Originally posted by popeyethasailah
    the main reason, and its a little off topic...i got a speeding ticket, and i wasnt going even 10mph close to the speed he gave me, have no idea as to what i can do to save my ass. there must be some stuff and im constantly looking, i will lose my liscence for a whole year if convicted for this.
    unfortunately you will have to pay for a lawyer if you want to fight this. it's hard for cops to prove in a court of law that you were speeding.

ROOKIE22 is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by popeyethasailah
    Hey man there are a lot of things you can do for this. the first and easies thing is (plead not guilty) then talk to the prosecuter, explain what happened and how you feel you were not even close to the speed to were ticketed for. then be willing to pay a fine but ask for the points to be dropped.

All they want is the money. They will most likely change the charge to a general unsafe operation ticket.

If they will not do that then continue with your not guilty plea and state your case in front of the judge.

this all goes out the window if you were traveling at an extremely high rate of speed.

Safe driving

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    u never fail us..another great post

bump

murph is offline Member
    Thank you Dr. Evil,.....Great read.............

DiMensionX is offline Member
    Originally posted by ROOKIE22
    [B]

Hey man there are a lot of things you can do for this. the first and easies thing is (plead not guilty) then talk to the prosecuter, explain what happened and how you feel you were not even close to the speed to were ticketed for. then be willing to pay a fine but ask for the points to be dropped.
    Another intresting tidbit at least in Georgia is that if you are going LESS than 15mph over the posted speed limit then it is a fine only, no points, which means no insurance headaches.

And example, in a 55mph going 69mph you would not get points, just a fine.

In a 75mph zone going 89mph, again no points just a ticket and small fine.

I've talked to several troopers over the years and they all agreed that getting someone for 14mph over was a waste of thier time. It does happen just not that much.

DMX

Originally posted by DiMensionX

Another intresting tidbit at least in Georgia is that if you are going LESS than 15mph over the posted speed limit then it is a fine only, no points, which means no insurance headaches.
    damn, i wish i were in georgia lol. nah, it's too damn hot and muggy in the summer!

murph is offline Member
    I'm moving to Georgia............j/k......bump.........

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    bump for an excellent post

Whiteyebrowe is offline Associate Member
    Anybody here ever have a bump in w/the law concerning A.S.?
    if so how did it go? If you dont mind sharing.
    I just got my letter from customs,so any info could possibly some day help.

p.s. please no newbies telling me not to send it back petitioning for my gear i know that.

if you already got the customs letter then you're not going to get a visit by the bad guys.

cnyce89 is offline Banned
    Originally posted by Dr.Evil

unfortunately you will have to pay for a lawyer if you want to fight this. it's hard for cops to prove in a court of law that you were speeding.
    apeeal it bring it to court, if the officer who gave you the ticket does not apear in court, then you win and the ticket is dismissed...and if he does...then fight it yourself...may get lessened

B-A-M-F is offline Associate Member
    save the letter, send it to your source, they should refund goods at half price or i third price or something. dont petition with cusotms, good luck man, do whatever evil says on this one man. good luck

especially if first offense and you say "temporary lapse of judgement" and that "you have learned your lesson".

But, such is life, there are never any guarantees!!

peace,

ttgb

KunipshunFit is offline Lounge Lizard
    I have to just put in my 2 cents,

First off, I do not like the idea that all police officers are bad. Infact I have a good friend that I lift with at my gym who is a state trooper, infact he is the one who told me about his steriod use and some sources he used to research. Infact he helped me set up my first cycle (which will be starting in the Fall)

Now i know this is a freak incident and for the most parts I agree, Cops are often times over stepping there rights, and infringing upon ours.

I'm not disputing that, SO PLEASE DO NOT THINK I DISAGREE at all with DR. Evil! Infact I agree, it is an important thing for us to all know our rights!

I just wanted to point out that NOT ALL cops are bad, infact my state trooper friend has helped me a great deal by telling me some of the same things Dr. Evil is saying right now. It also helps that he is on my side with certain things

Anyway I in no manner mean to flame anyone! I agree fully with Dr. Evil, I just wanted to say that not all police officer's are bad, However, dealing with roid's and the varoius aspects of it, they can all be dicks if they want to be!!!

KunipshunFit

murph is offline Member
    bumping it up,...........................

wannabe is offline Junior Member

good point but

there's a few things you missed. to start all you have to do when they first ask you any questions is tell them you want to speak to an attorney before any questioning. from that point they can't ask anything and if they do it is not admissable in court. as for your house if they believe you are dealing steriods and have a warrant you are pretty much screwed because that gives them the right to search just about anywhere. i'll explain. it all depends on what they are looking for to determine where they can search. the average size a a steriod vial pretty much gives them the option to search anywhere. but let's say your a tv thief. they can't go looking in your drawers for a t.v . so if during that search they found anything other than t.v.'s it wouldn't be admissable in court. ok enough on that the car theory. there is a law that came into effect to protect officers for safety reasons. it's called the arm span wingspan theory. when i check your vehicle i am allowed to check driver side passenger side that includes under the seat and all but if your glove box is locked i cannot open it without your consent or a warrant. now if you have dope and a drug dog comes your screwed because once a dog alerts that is an automatic reason for us to search with or without your consent. always remember this the less people know what you do the better. i mean not even family. they aren't gonna help in anyway but get in the way. the less people know about your bizz the less you have to worry bout. hope this helped some. fi any of you get scared you can send me your stuff and i'll hide it in my glutes and thighs for yah.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information