Thread: heart damage

mike2nice is offline Associate Member

heart damage

How does AAS affect your heart negativly? Can anyone break this down for me?

mike2nice is offline Associate Member
    bump

lwgy is offline Junior Member
    i dont think there is much research on this. there has not been that much research on AS in general, and even fewer long term studies. i dont know of any short term studies that showed a negative effect on heart. i would suspect this may be something that would only show up in long term studies. someone please correct me if im wrong. bump for more responses.

redcell is offline Junior Member
    I read in MD that there is no evidence that steroids directly cause heart disease. During steroid use a lot of times peoples cholesterol levels fluctuate. When the good levels are lowered and the bad levels raise for an EXTENDED period of time it can lead to placque buildup in the blood vessels in the heart. So I imagine being on a cycle nonstop for years at a time wouldn't be that great for your heart. But shorter cycles dont give enough time for that placque buildup, and cholesterol levels will return to normal sooner.

cantqwit is offline Associate Member
    ive heard they can thicken the walls, also anytime you retain fluid(water) your heart and kidneys have to compensate for the extra workload so in theory your heart has to work harder.

***xxx*** is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cantqwit
    ive heard they can thicken the walls, also anytime you retain fluid(water) your heart and kidneys have to compensate for the extra workload so in theory your heart has to work harder.

that s true.

The Baron is offline Fourth Koala of the Apocalypse
    If your lipids profile is not out of whack, then unless you are a 350 lb monster, there is no reason why AAS would have an effect on your heart. Certainly there is no direct effect. GH in very high doses could perhaps cause enlargement of the heart, but I have never read any studies on that. Anyway, practically all athletes have enlarged hearts. It is a natural adaptation.

kolaking is offline Associate Member
    Both good answers,water retention and thick blood require the heart to work harder, high blood preasure/hypertension, lower HDL (good cholesterol) levels, period of use, and, genetic predisposition; mostly reductions of hdl levels over the years though. How much these side effects contribute is anybodies guess but I would say genetic prediposal would dictate most of that.
    KK.
    Last edited by kolaking; 08-21-2005 at 12:32 PM.

Joey2ness is offline Member

Question

High levels of testosterone raises bad cholesterol and lower good cholesterol
    which increases heart disease

I heard this from the HBO steroid peice
    Last edited by Joey2ness; 08-21-2005 at 03:24 PM.

The Baron is offline Fourth Koala of the Apocalypse
    Yes, which is why most knowledgeable juicers use a low dose of nolva right through the cycle. It raises HDL. If you go low-fat (you can get away with that when juicing) and get plenty of cardio and live a physically active life, you can keep the LDL down to reasonable levels, too. The only wild card there is genetics. Some folks are predisposed to have cholesterol problems.

--
    NO PMs for SOURCES!
    NO PMs for questions that should be asked on the board!
    NO "Thank You" PMs, please.
    PMs are for personal or sensitive questions or information, or for stuff that is not allowed to be posted on the board.
    Inappropriate PMs will not be read or acknowledged. Repeated reporters will be offended.
    -The Baron-

--
    NO PMs for SOURCES!
    NO PMs for questions that should be asked on the board!
    NO "Thank You" PMs, please.
    PMs are for personal or sensitive questions or information, or for stuff that is not allowed to be posted on the board.
    Inappropriate PMs will not be read or acknowledged. Repeated reporters will be offended.
    -The Baron-

Drummerboy is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cantqwit
    there is lots of support for this. messing with your BP, lipid profiles can truly mess with your heart. thats why we have doctors and blood tests.

Thread Information