Maetenloch is offline Associate Member

Study suggests 'roid rage' only affects some people

Here's an interesting study I came across -
    http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/con...tract/57/2/133

What's particularly interesting about this study is that the dosage they used (600mg/wk test cyp) is a lot closer to a typical bodybuilder cycle.
    Now psychiatry is not my specialty, but this seems to suggest that taking testosterone will slightly increase aggression, but doesn't seem to cause psychological changes in most men. However a small number do become much more agressive. This does seem to suggest that there's a certain percentage of men who can't handle extra testosterone.

DEVLDOG is offline Retired VET
    a million threads about this topic,heres a million and 1

gear makes azzholes bigger azzholes...period.

BIGD2515 is offline Junior Member
    true that

Quote Originally Posted by DEVLDOG
    a million threads about this topic,heres a million and 1

gear makes azzholes bigger azzholes...period.
    While I agree in general that gear tends to amplify pre-existing personality traits, according to this study the baseline psychological profiles of the responders and non-responders didn't differ. So either test really does push some 'normal' people into severe aggression or they weren't testing for the correct traits in the first place i.e. a-hole-ness.

mark956101957 is offline Anabolic Member
    I don't believe that. I became irritated more often but I am a very mellow person without roids and I do not believe mellow, normal men can or will be pushed into severe aggression. Has not been my experience thats all I can really comment on.

ODC0717 is offline Anabolic Member
    Perhaps some people let the myth get to their head and fuel their aggression and blame it on the roids when something goes wrong. I've often said aggresive people should avoid certain AAS because it brings the worst out of them more so then normally. I think that peole should be aware of the posibility of increased aggresion while on, and, IMHO, you should be in control of yourself enough to stop it before it gets bad. After all, it's all mental...

sbeast007 is offline Senior Member
    alot of people play up to the idea of roid rage , i become more aggressive but i dont let it affect my interaction with other people, unless they really piss me off

TallMan is offline Associate Member
    I'm a very gentle person, almost never get mad,
    but I'm having paranoia sometimes !
    Can this worsen when using anabolics ?

Power Viking is offline Banned
    I think it has a lot to do with impulse control as well. A lot of kids just don`t think before acting wether on or off roids. People who have a decent frontal lobe behind their forehead will think twice before doing something extreme, like attacking someone. On roids they might just think once, but at least they are thinking before acting
    People without impulse control will act upon a whim anyways and the irritation that roids give them will just give them more outbursts that they don`t control.

A guy on a norwegian roid forum put it well:
    "Instead of beating up two or three guys when I get mad in a bar, I`ll beat up five or six". We all told him to stop jucing and start meditating instead, maybe join a chess club instead of a gym or something. Still, I think he put it rather well.

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    Personally I dont have a problem on straight test. Its others like tren that make me much more aggresive.

RA
    Quote Originally Posted by TallMan
    I'm a very gentle person, almost never get mad,
    but I'm having paranoia sometimes !
    Can this worsen when using anabolics ?

Im not a paranoid person and I get that way in pct.

Seattle Junk is offline Anabolic Member
    Personally, I'm a calmer and more posistive person on juice. Now I'm not talking 1.5g/test week, I'm talking 500-750mgs. Negative sides from poor diet or high amounts of AAS could make ya pretty irritable too but that's controlled by the user. A few abusers of AAS usually give the whole community a bad rep, we know that.

Does test and highly androgrenic compounds make ya more agressive? Hell yeah but that's what makes it another great tool for intense training. You should be mature enough to not take that energy and become combative with other people. That's why it's difficult for younger AAS users to control their emotions since they just haven't had enough social experience to understand how to control and funnel their agression in a healthy manner. Just my opinion of course.
    Last edited by Seattle Junk; 08-25-2005 at 09:36 AM.

Booz is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    tren can sometimes send me over the edge!!but if you know iys coming you can calm yourself down!!

TallMan is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roidattack
    Im not a paranoid person and I get that way in pct.
    prolly the clomid, right ?

RA
    Quote Originally Posted by TallMan
    prolly the clomid, right ?

Yes, the clomid doesnt help but I have tried stretches without it and I still act like a weirdo pc.

punchrf is offline Anabolic Member
    i'm far worse when taking clomid then gear. clomid makes me moody and depressed. gear usually makes me feel good almost all the time. very little depressed feelings while on. i'm constantly making gains in the gym and weight wise so i have a good feeling a lot of the time. fina levels me out for some reason. after i dropped the fina last cycle because of decreased hunger that's when i noticed a little irratibility. in my opinion it's all in the mind. i just tell myself it's my choice to put gear into my body so i should not take anger out on anyone else because of my desicions. running gear or not you have to control your anger at some point in time. i do agree that it makes azzholes even bigger azzholes though. some of my friends that wanted me to hook them up with gear i've denied because i know there temper and they would use gear as an excuse to get in more fights and such.

lfrisbee is offline Associate Member
    I think it has to do with the mentality that some bros get when on the juice... They all of a sudden get really "tough" and cocky. Its a mental thing, and because they're feeling so self-confident they'll tend to act out more than they would if not on the juice. Just my .02.

Seattle Junk is offline Anabolic Member
    I've seen a few tough guys on juice get their ass kicked at bars. It's almost like they think it's a drug that makes them tougher. Your as tough as your are on juice or not. That's why it's hard for young users to control their emotions since they don't understand that everybody doesn't think their tough. You have no idea what the other guy you're starting shit with knows about fighting. I live in Seattle and there are a few of those MMA people that train around here. Dudes with basic MMA skills could smoke most people out there 50+lbs heavier than them or stronger. How would you like a nice scar across your face from a broken bottle or glass? Is being a tough guy really worth it? Do you want to look like an idiot for the rest of your life?

punchrf is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Junk
    I've seen a few tough guys on juice get their ass kicked at bars. It's almost like they think it's a drug that makes them tougher. Your as tough as your are on juice or not. That's why it's hard for young users to control their emotions since they don't understand that everybody doesn't think their tough. You have no idea what the other guy you're starting shit with knows about fighting. I live in Seattle and there are a few of those MMA people that train around here. Dudes with basic MMA skills could smoke most people out there 50+lbs heavier than them or stronger. How would you like a nice scar across your face from a broken bottle or glass? Is being a tough guy really worth it? Do you want to look like an idiot for the rest of your life?
    or what about the guy who starting taking sustanon and thought it would make him a better fight. found some people breaking into his car and went down to confront them and got his azz kicked. i still love that story everytime i read it.

mr.biceps58 is offline Junior Member
    Well..Speaking from experience...Trenbolone made me angry and paranoid. So some drugs do affect behaviour..Testosterone isnt bad at all if anti-es are used to control estrogen (pms) mood swings.lol

Anaholic is offline Associate Member
    [QUOTE=lfrisbee]I think it has to do with the mentality that some bros get when on the juice... They all of a sudden get really "tough" and cocky. Its a mental thing, and because they're feeling so self-confident they'll tend to act out more than they would if not on the juice. Just my .02.[/QUOT

I agree with you... It is all in your head...

If you look at the insert on almost any prescribed medication, you'll see a long list of side effects seen during the drug studies and the number of people who were affected. Some of these can quite severe - depression, fainting, heart arrhythmia, temporary psychosis, etc. - but they usually only affect a very very small percentage of people. People's response to a medication is typically distributed as a bell curve - most people have a response that's near the average, and then you'll have a small percent at the far end of the curve who are non-responders and another small percent who are hyper-responders. There are always a few outliers who get severe side effects.

What's funny is that people know and accept that testosterone is a drug that has known side effects including increased aggression, but seem to have difficulty accepting that these side effects may vary in their intensity like those of any other medication. Most guys can handle this increased aggression through maturity and self-control, but there's bound to be certain small percentage who have INTENSELY increased aggression and this may be beyond normal coping mechanisms.

I know that due to media hysteria we're all loathe to admit that roid rage could exist, but if you look at AAS like any other drug, it seems obvious that there will be some people who get severe side effects and simply cannot tolerate the drug.

Thread Information