Good news for those who take medication.

Antidepressant medications reduce cortisol levels (Heim and Nemeroff, 2002; Nestler, Hyman, and Malenka, 2001) and reactivate the production of BDNF, (note: lithium and regular exercise also increase the levels of BDNF) which can lead not only to clinical improvement, but also to the birth of new nerve cells in the hippocampus (Kempermann and Gage, 1999). Thus antidepressants can play a crucial role in treating symptoms of depression as well as protecting the brain from the effects of toxic levels of stress hormones.

I've read numerous articles on how most popular antidepressants like remeron for example can help reduce cortisol levels, which obviously is an added bonus if your a bodybuilder, cortisol being a catabolic hormone.

Since I suffer from depression and anxiety I always wondered whether or not i'm doing any harm by combining antidepressant drugs and benzos like valium with steroids . It seems to the contrary however.

A lot of bodybuilders over here take antidepressants when they come off the juice also. (you know when you get into that shitty depressing mood)

Still can't be too sure so I just thought i'de share this info and hopefuly get some feedback from you bro's...
    Last edited by Toenail Juice Z; 09-11-2005 at 10:58 AM.

"In general, antidepressants have indirect effects on the cortisol-producing system by altering the activity of neurotransmitters in the brain. Some antidepressants do reduce cortisol and help normalize the elevated evening cortisol that may be the worst part of depression. Experimentally, in human depression, there is some use of cortisol receptor blockers and they appear to reduce psychotic symptoms when they occur with depression. These medications may not be the best thing to treat depression over long periods because they would interfere with many good things that cortisol does, such as helping the immune system.

Work on a new generation of antidepressant treatments is in progress. The more we learn about stress, depression, brain changes and the connection between them; the better we are equipped to effectively relieve depressive symptoms.

Reference:
    McEwen, B.S. Mood disorders and allostatic load. Biol. Psychiat. 54, 200–207 (2003)."

MatrixGuy is offline Good things come to those who wait
    Which medication do you take bro. How long have you been taking it?

Quote Originally Posted by MatrixGuy
    Which medication do you take bro. How long have you been taking it?
    I take 50mg of Anafranil (clomipramine HCL), and 100mg of Luvox/Faverin per day. I also have remeron, but wasn't prescribed it. I haven't ever taken any, but many bodybuilders swear by it.

and also 10-20mg of valium(Diazepam)/month (or whenever needed). I'm not addicted. Just use it once or twice a month as a sleep aid.

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toenail Juice Z
    I've read numerous articles on how most popular antidepressants like remeron for example can help reduce cortisol levels, which obviously is an added bonus if your a bodybuilder, cortisol being a catabolic hormone.

Since I suffer from depression and anxiety I always wondered whether or not i'm doing any harm by combining antidepressant drugs and benzos like valium with steroids . It seems to the contrary however.

A lot of bodybuilders over here take antidepressants when they come off the juice also. (you know when you get into that shitty depressing mood)

Still can't be too sure so I just thought i'de share this info and hopefuly get some feedback from you bro's...

wow this is good news - i've been on antidepressants for on and off for 10years

currently taking 150mg Venlafaxine (Effexor) daily

oh and tren /prop/var/clen

falker is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Force

My wife has been on effexor for a year and a half, she went from 125 to 187 and is having a hell of a time getting rid o fit now.
    If there is truly a better anti depressant then I need to know about it

j-dog is offline Associate Member
    I take the effexor 75 mg's a day it works awesome no more anxiety attacks and sleepless night also no sexual side effects. Stuff is great i love it

devilman208 is offline Associate Member
    be careful with the remeron. It will make sleepy as hell and a possible side effect is edema. I have it prescribed to help me sleep.

I am on Venlafaxine too. Same dose too. How does it make you feel bro? side effects?

side effect on Effexor are not bad at all - the sexual disfunction you get with many other SSRI anti-depressants are no where near as bad with effexor

i'm still not 'cured' (probably never will be) but i am generally feeling good (although its tough on tren and a low carb diet)

the only thing i have noticed with effexor is that it can make you constipated
    which can be a pain in the arse

hows it going with you matrix? been on it long?

LuckyDragon is offline Junior Member
    Valium is safer than Remeron if your only using it for sleep. Remeron is a KO in a pill

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    I have been taking wellbutrin xl and clonazepam for depression and anxiety so what would be the best first cycle to try. I have been lifting for quite a few years off and on and the strongest thing I'd ever taken was precursors so is it okay to use a steroid if you have depression.

Quote Originally Posted by Hackamaniac
    I have been taking wellbutrin xl and clonazepam for depression and anxiety so what would be the best first cycle to try. I have been lifting for quite a few years off and on and the strongest thing I'd ever taken was precursors so is it okay to use a steroid if you have depression.

well i wouldnt say its ok as such - its really up to you - i believe anti-depressants are liver toxic too - although i do not know to what degree, so taking anabolics on top of that could be dangerous

obviously a doctor will advise you not to, but i have been cycling on anti-depressants for over a year now and it hasnt effected my depression/anxiety - not too sure about my liver values - i'm actually getting them checked on monday

your best first cycle will depend on your stats and your goals

side effect on Effexor are not bad at all - the sexual disfunction you get with many other SSRI anti-depressants are no where near as bad with effexor

i'm still not 'cured' (probably never will be) but i am generally feeling good (although its tough on tren and a low carb diet)

the only thing i have noticed with effexor is that it can make you constipated
    which can be a pain in the arse

hows it going with you matrix? been on it long?
    Been on it about 2 years. Got up to a dose of 225mg ED. I told my doc that it wasn't really doing anything so i am slowly coming off it. My anxiety is a bit worse now i am on cycle, but manageable. I found Seroxat (Paxil) was best for anxiety, but it made me do some stupid things, so i was brought off it. I found suddenly stopping, or missing a dose of Venlafaxine for about 3 days gives you the worst feelings ever!

Quote Originally Posted by MatrixGuy
    Been on it about 2 years. Got up to a dose of 225mg ED. I told my doc that it wasn't really doing anything so i am slowly coming off it. My anxiety is a bit worse now i am on cycle, but manageable. I found Seroxat (Paxil) was best for anxiety, but it made me do some stupid things, so i was brought off it. I found suddenly stopping, or missing a dose of Venlafaxine for about 3 days gives you the worst feelings ever!

i find comming off any anti depressant very very difficult - you get all dizzy and nauseaus and it lasts for weeks, sometimes months

i tried seroxat briefly in the past didnt get along with it

i have been on effexor 3 or 4 years an am really trying to come off it - perhaps in the next couple of months

dirtyvegas is offline Senior Member
    ive taken plenty valumes before and for some reason i dont feel it at all never.

what about zoloft any body try that,, a doc gave it to me one time and i got soo sick on it i couldnt move, and the worst feeling inside my chest ever, i took 1 dose and that was enough for me for life ..never took anythig else though.

~dv~

Thread Information