Seattle Junk is offline Anabolic Member

Doctor indicted on giving steroids to NFL players

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2168627

Doctor indicted on giving steroids to NFL players

Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- A doctor who was accused in a television report of writing illegal steroid prescriptions for three former Carolina Panthers players has been indicted on federal charges.

James M. Shortt was charged with 29 counts of distributing steroids and human growth hormones as well as a conspiracy charge, U.S. Attorney Johnny Gasser said Wednesday. The indictment did not specify who received the drugs.

But a person familiar with the indictment said they were current and former members of the Carolina Panthers, bodybuilders and at least one police officer. The source spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing, and did not name players.

A CBS News report in March identified center Jeff Mitchell, tackle Todd Steussie and punter Todd Sauerbrun as having filled steroid prescriptions written by Shortt. Several other former Panthers have also been named as Shortt's patients in subsequent media reports.

The NFL is nearing the conclusion of an investigation it began after that report, NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue said late last month. The players involved probably won't be suspended, he said.

Of the players identified in the initial CBS report, only Mitchell, the Panthers' starting center, remains with the team. Steussie is with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Sauerbrun was traded to the Denver Broncos.

Shortt's attorney Ward Bradley said he had not seen the indictment but would defend his client.

"I had a feeling an indictment was coming," said Bradley, who wouldn't comment on the specifics within the indictment.

Shortt, 58, also faces a state investigation in the death of a woman given intravenous hydrogen peroxide to treat her multiple sclerosis.

The indictment said the conspiracy began in 1998 and the prescriptions, which included testosterone , nandrolone and stanozolol , occurred from February 2001 to June 2004.

"Shortt knowingly and intentionally did conspire with others ... to knowingly, intentionally, and unlawfully possess with intent to distribute and dispense" the illegal steroids, according to the indictment.

The South Carolina Board of Medical Examiners suspended Shortt's medical license in April. According to the board's suspension order, Shortt prescribed the steroid testosterone to four unnamed male patients "in doses and frequencies that were extremely unlikely to have been prescribed with any legitimate medical justification."

bigJJ is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Junk
    and at least one police officer.

Perfect!!

bigJJ is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Junk
    Shortt, 58, also faces a state investigation in the death of a woman given intravenous hydrogen peroxide to treat her multiple sclerosis.
    Hydrogen Peroxide! Intraveniously!? Jesus!

dirtyvegas is offline Senior Member
    Yeah thats just stupid, I hate the media. Unnamed players, why the fvck dont they come out and tell us who..They revealed everything behind baseball players that used steroids , shoud be the same with NFL.

There just having to many problems with the whole baseball thing, and tryin to avoid the same thing with the NFL tryin to keep the attention to a low low...

Every sport has players that use steroids , PERIOD. Always will, they just need to except it IMO.
    dv

chest6 is offline Banned
    athletes take steroids . You dont need to be a scientist to figure that out....people act so surprised..shit

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    athletes take steroids. You dont need to be a scientist to figure that out....people act so surprised..shit
    I know that looked like you in your avy....

what happend to the beast.?
    dv

bigJJ is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyvegas
    I know that looked like you in your avy....

what happend to the beast.?
    dv
    Damn! Is it just me, or has Big Ron let himself go in the off season? Somehow he got a bit whiter too.

And, yeah ... what's up with not naming the players in the NFL? Good point DV. They hang baseball players out to dry, but when it's football they do not "specify who received the drugs"?

I would suggest that they do that because football teams are more profitable, and that very well may be the case. But the sports franchise that is worth the most money in the US is the NY Yankees, so does that add up? Possibly. The entirety of professional football may very well be worth more money than baseball, but that still doesn't excuse the hypocrisy. (unless, of course, the players themselves simply have good lawyers ... in which case I say "you go bro!")

Quote Originally Posted by bigJJ
    Damn! Is it just me, or has Big Ron let himself go in the off season? Somehow he got a bit whiter too.

Yeah the whole thing just pisses me off and erks me really.....I hate the way the media protrays certin things to there advantage. And yes baseball was hung out to dry , what about the fvckin NFL players...Personally IMO they say they enforce steroid test to every other sport equally as much as they do baseball, but i think there full of shit and just wanting the whole steroid and baseball steroid attention to go away. So in the mean time there givving everone in just baseball the "finger test" , pretending to make it fair between drug tests and sports..Personally I dont care what they do, I actually like the idea of steroids and sports but should be entirely up to the player to choose.

dirtyvegas

bigJJ is offline Member
    I read an insanely rational opinion the other day...

Pro athletes SHOULD be tested for 'roids! If they don't test positive, they shouldn't be allowed to play. Simple as that.

On the surface it sounds nuts, but seriously, look at the quandry the modern testing frenzy has left our best players in! Do you get "booo'd" when you test positive for Protein suppliments? Do you get "booo'd" when you test positive for Creatine? Do you get "booo'd" when you test positive for a comprehensive diet? Do you get "booo'd" when you test positive for a solid workout regime? Do you get "booo'd" when you test positive for getting your ass up and training when your compitition is fvcking off?

Of course not!!! Why?? Because those are the extremes you go to when you want to be the best!

People really have no idea what pro athletes go through to bring them that exciting friday afternoon game, or sunday night fight. Somehow, the armchair quarterback has become the nursemaid and clergy. She wants to see a brilliant, brutal fight... but nobody get hurt. That really doesn't suprise me in our "first person shooter" society.

Sports involve pain! They sacrifice our health! That's why we like them!

Quote Originally Posted by bigJJ
    Hydrogen Peroxide! Intraveniously!? Jesus!
    Ive herd this cures kills bacterias or some shit in the body and is benifit in some cases....dont know, anybody else.?

dv

Thread Information