BigBuddha is offline Junior Member

Question How old is too old?

I have a 43 year old friend who is thinking about taking a cycle for the first time, he is in good shape but should I warn him of anything due to his age that he should think about first?

broncojosh is offline Senior Member
    he should go to the doc and get a complete physical. I would advice him to find a doc that he could talk to about AS. If he's in good health, they shouldn't be a huge concern...I know a couple guys that are in their early 50's, on juice, and huge!

4plates is offline Banned
    what josh said
    hell he might even get the dr to write him a script for his test

androplex is offline Donating Member
    PSA and rectual examine is a must for over 40.

Here is what TNT said in another post about test use.

"TNT
    Anabolic Forum Moderator
    Local Time: 04:25 PM
    Birthdate: 0000-00-00
    Take terms literally . . . (Post #2)

Yes, there is evidence that test can or might cause or contribute to prostate cancer, but not that it will cause prostate cancer.

The prescribing literature for both Delatestryl (enanthate ) and Depo-Testosterone (cyp), the two legal brands of injectable test in the U.S., state in part:

CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY
    Endogenous androgens are responsible for the normal growth and development of the male sex organs and for maintenance of secondary sex characteristics. These effects include growth and maturation of prostate...

CONTRAINDICATIONS
    Androgens are contraindicated in men with carcinomas of the breast or with known or suspected carcinomas of the prostate...

The prescribing information for Androgel contains an additional statement that is relevant:

Geriatric patients and other patients with clinical or demographic characteristics that are recognized to be associated with an increased risk of prostate cancer should be evaluated for the presence of prostate cancer prior to initiation of testosterone replacement therapy. In men receiving testosterone replacement therapy, surveillance for prostate cancer should be consistent with current practices for eugonadal men...

So, based on the standards used by the manufacturers of legal test, it would appear that testosterone, at the very least, can increase the risk of prostate cancer, or can aggravate prostate cancer in those who have already been diagnosed.

When I use test, I regularly have PSA (prostate specific antigen) labwork done. I have never seen an increase in my PSA levels, but that does not mean it could not happen. There's an old expression to the effect that if something happens 1% of 1% of the time but it happens to you, then the incidence to you has become 100%.

Does that mean you should not do test? If you are not in a high-risk group (meaning if you have not been diagnosed with prostate cancer), no. But it does mean that you should take the normal steps to ensure that it does not have a negative impact on you.

As for specifics, i.e., whether you increase the risk of prostate cancer at an early age or down the road when you are older, I am not aware of any statistical results. (Which doesn't mean they don't exist, it merely means I'm in a lazy mood today. ) BUt life, as always, is a crapshoot, so anyone considering test or any other type of cycle should do a risk-benefit analysis and make an informed decision.
    "
    Last edited by androplex; 05-04-2002 at 02:27 PM.

El Kabong is offline New Member
    I'm just about in the same boat as your friend, except I need to work more on my diet first. But the thing that really scares me is that I have mild hypertension.

I've search on this, and it seems that it's a show-stopper. I mean, High BP = No AS.

But I wonder if AS is OK once your high BP is under control by meds.

ragin' is offline Associate Member
    i know a 40 year old on juice... it's only his 3rd cycle too. great shape and healthy.. get check by a doc first

REM
    REM is offline Member
    be honest, do you want to know this for yourself
    or your friend which makes really no difference...

Your right, it SHOULDNT matter, but to answer, Im 21 and trying to help out a friend. Why do you care who the information is for on an INFORMATIVE board? Also, thank you for your skepticism, it is much appreciated

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    I am 40 and started juicing this year. It got me over a hump and put me into a new realm of fitness. I can say that (so far) the results have been very positive.

REM
    REM is offline Member
    Big BUDDHA my apolagy sounds like i offended you,
    no didn't want to do it i guess i came to strong asking the way again my apoligy, to me you sounded some how shy to express yourself about certain age and since there r many older AAS users including me we could just pitch in some info you know
    nothing personal bro...

No worries, I think I took it more harsh than you meant.

Thread Information