ward065 is offline Member

Arrgh! this is fustrating (strength loss after cycle)

since my cycle ended, which was almost 7 weeks ago now, i've lost- a bit- of strength on some of my lifts- most notably the shoulder press and close grip bench press. But most of my lifts have suffered to an extent

Here were my maxes shortly after my first cycle:

Max bench 305x7
    Max squat 280x12, straight down to the floor!
    Max BB Row 230x6
    Max preacher dumbell curl 80x6
    Max barbell shoulder press 190x6
    Max dumbell shoulder press 90x7
    Max Close Grip Bench Press 255x5
    Max Calf Raise 335x30
    Max Deadlift (unsure) something like 420x5-6

And here are my maxes right now

Max bench 300x5 (lost 5 pounds and 2 reps)
    Max squat 280x13 (This actually went up 1 rep)
    Max BB Row 230x5 (lost 0 pounds & 1 rep)
    Max preacher dumbell curl 80x6 (same, have not lost any str)
    Max barbell shoulder press 180x4 (lost 10 pounds and 2 reps)
    Max dumbell shoulder press 85x7 (lost 10 pounds and 0 reps)
    Max Close Grip Bench Press 250x5 (lost 5 pounds and 0 reps)
    Max Calf Raise 335x28 (lost 0 pounds and 2 reps)
    Max Deadlift 410x5 (lost 10 pounds here)

This is rather fustrating- i went to train shoulders today and last week i could not lift the 90 pound dumbells (the same with the week before last) and the same today. What is fustrating is that after my cycle, i could do 90x7- and i can't do more than 85x7 today

Is there anything i can do between now and the 6 weeks before i start my next cycle, that can help my lifts somewhat? I'd like to get them back to where they were, before i start again. I have not lost much size at all, but losing strength, even if it is small can be very fustrating!!

I'm still working out as hard as possible, sleeping well, and eating well (3600 cals average) it seems i need to eat this much to maintain my weight.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Are your lifts higher then before your cycle...... You can't keep it all.

JohnnyB is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    Now did your PCT go?

JohnnyB

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB
    Now did your PCT go?

JohnnyB
    ahh...my pct was good, i could tell because i still have a decent sex drive. I ran HCG last 4 weeks of cycle- 1000iu/5 shots. Then i did 5 more shots/1000 iu EOD for 10 days after my last injection- 4 days later i began clomid, 100mg for 2 weeks, 50mg clomid 20mg nolva week 3, 20mg nolva week four.

Still i am working out pretty intensely- but i just can't lift as much

Quote Originally Posted by TheMudMan
    Are your lifts higher then before your cycle...... You can't keep it all.
    Yes, fortunately they are actually quite a bit better now than before

Here were my stats, pre-cycle

Max bench 280x4
    Max squat 300x6 but BAD FORM
    recently started complete ROM 8 weeks ago
    Max BB Row 205x6
    Max preacher dumbell curl 65x5
    Max barbell shoulder press 170x5
    Max dumbell shoulder press 80x6
    Max Close Grip Bench Press 230x5

Still, even though all these #s are up, it's just kind of depressing that i have lost a little bit of strength after i ended.

Quote Originally Posted by ward065
    Yes, fortunately they are actually quite a bit better now than before

Here were my stats, pre-cycle

Max bench 280x4
    Max squat 300x6 but BAD FORM
    recently started complete ROM 8 weeks ago
    Max BB Row 205x6
    Max preacher dumbell curl 65x5
    Max barbell shoulder press 170x5
    Max dumbell shoulder press 80x6
    Max Close Grip Bench Press 230x5

Still, even though all these #s are up, it's just kind of depressing that i have lost a little bit of strength after i ended.
    This is why a lot of guys get psychologicaly addicted to AAS. Your hormone levels are not where they were 7 weeks ago. I know it sucks but you are still stronger then you were before the cycle.

This is why a lot of guys get psychologicaly addicted to AAS. Your hormone levels are not where they were 7 weeks ago. I know it sucks but you are still stronger then you were before the cycle.
    yes you are perfectly correct...

I kind of feel like i did now pre cycle. Pre cycle, (Although i had old maxes) no matter how hard i worked i could not lift anymore weight. Changing diet did not matter. Changing routine did not matter..... I kind of have that same feeling now, i work out as hard as possible but still can't do as much.

I guess i can look at it on the bright side: Right now, i am halfway through before i start again.

Also on the bright side, my measurements are still up significantly from pre-cycle. (arms still about a whole inch bigger) and i have about 12 pounds more LBM

But you are correct, psychologically it is fustrating when you work out as hard as you can, and still cannot do as much no matter what

yes you are perfectly correct...

I kind of feel like i did now pre cycle. Pre cycle, (Although i had old maxes) no matter how hard i worked i could not lift anymore weight. Changing diet did not matter. Changing routine did not matter..... I kind of have that same feeling now, i work out as hard as possible but still can't do as much.

I guess i can look at it on the bright side: Right now, i am halfway through before i start again.

Also on the bright side, my measurements are still up significantly from pre-cycle. (arms still about a whole inch bigger) and i have about 12 pounds more LBM

But you are correct, psychologically it is fustrating when you work out as hard as you can, and still cannot do as much no matter what
    I hear ya bro and it does suck............ I try not to get too hung up on weight. I look more physical changes but those are my goals and yours maybe totally diferent.

I hear ya bro and it does suck............ I try not to get too hung up on weight. I look more physical changes but those are my goals and yours maybe totally diferent.
    thanks.....yeah those are my goals, but physical size, at least for me has always been directly correlated with a) the weight i lift, b) the number of reps i perform, and c)using proper form and mind muscle connection.

i'm a bodybuilder not a powerlifter, but weight and reps are still important imo

thanks.....yeah those are my goals, but physical size, at least for me has always been directly correlated with a) the weight i lift, b) the number of reps i perform, and c)using proper form and mind muscle connection.

i'm a bodybuilder not a powerlifter, but weight and reps are still important imo
    True........... but you need to realize that what you were able to do durring the cycle may not be the same after. If you can see that then you will not end up like some of the guys that stay on year round for years.

shortie is offline AR Biggerologist
    I ended my last cycle single reppin 425 on bench, now several weeks later I stick at 395, but the thing is each time I cycle I get stronger lifts lose a little afterwards but gain it back quickly so I know within two months I will be right there again w/out the gear. It's like each cycle sets my natural ability higher, maybe muscle memory, but I think everyone loses a little post cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by shortie
    I ended my last cycle single reppin 425 on bench, now several weeks later I stick at 395, but the thing is each time I cycle I get stronger lifts lose a little afterwards but gain it back quickly so I know within two months I will be right there again w/out the gear. It's like each cycle sets my natural ability higher, maybe muscle memory, but I think everyone loses a little post cycle.
    yeah. What i want to see in the next 7 weeks are my lifts coming back to what they were right after i ended. I'm gonna try my best to achieve that. Maybe i will- hopefully i will.

shortie is offline AR Biggerologist
    You sound a little like me anyhow, I describe my lifting as confused BB/powerlifter. I want to get bigger but love to work on the heavy lifts. I just spent the last 6 months on the Westside BB method and got some great strength gains, but really got no bigger, too bad they can't go together a little better.

for me, if the lifts are heavy and contain 6-14 reps, and if it goes to failure, size will come

i never max out on a lift- i know powerlifters do this- but i do not train for powerlifting. Plus, it can lead to an injury which is no good. When i train i want to force as much blood into the muscle as possible, optimally, using relatively heavy weights with moderate reps

Steroid Man is offline Banned
    for me, if the lifts are heavy and contain 6-14 reps, and if it goes to failure, size will come

i never max out on a lift- i know powerlifters do this- but i do not train for powerlifting. Plus, it can lead to an injury which is no good. When i train i want to force as much blood into the muscle as possible, optimally, using relatively heavy weights with moderate reps

A common MISCONCEPTION is that producing a PUMP in the muscles is indicative of HYPERTROPHY--it is not. Fatigue and hypertrophy are two different things. For endurance training, we seek to FATIGUE the muscle, with high rep schemes that do indeed, produce massive PUMPS. But we are not working out for the PUMP--it is simply a benfit. We(as bodybuilders) work out for HYPERTROPHY--and for THAT, you need at least 6-8 reps of HEAVY HEAVY weight. Using a high-VOLUME routine(15 sets minimum) will yield a great pump as well.

6-8 reps....this is for MASS....(15 sets minimum per bodypart)

6-8!
    Last edited by Steroid Man; 09-28-2005 at 02:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid Man
    A common MISCONCEPTION is that producing a PUMP in the muscles is indicative of HYPERTROPHY--it is not. Fatigue and hypertrophy are two different things. For endurance training, we seek to FATIGUE the muscle, with high rep schemes that do indeed, produce massive PUMPS. But we are not working out for the PUMP--it is simply a benfit. We(as bodybuilders) work out for HYPERTROPHY--and for THAT, you need at least 6-8 reps of HEAVY HEAVY weight. Using a high-VOLUME routine(15 sets minimum) will yield a great pump as well.

6-8 reps....this is for MASS....(15 sets minimum per bodypart)

6-8!
    i only take a few exercises to 14 reps- most notably squats.

And when i train i train to failure always. I get a good pump, i can tell i am working the muscle(s) because i am alwaya sore the next day (what i trained the day before)

Thread Information