Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bp too high??

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stupidhippo
    hehe I went to the pharmacist to get some pins today. There was one of those automatic high-tech BP measuring devices. those big machines, well anyway, I did mine.. it said mine was 180/90 .... having a hard time believing that. Ive been sick 4 a weel though but still. Does anyone know that are those reliable?
    The cuff on those pups is so tiny that I have had readings of 220/110 and my fricking arm tingled for a half hour after the test.

If my bp was 220/110, i wouldn't be writing this post, I would have blood squirting out my orifaces.

No. They are no accurate.

stupidhippo is offline Anabolic Member
    it was one of those big machines where the hole u stick ur hand is huge... it didnt feel like it was too small .. the whole machine was like the size of a small tv... hehe I have one of these homa machines with too smal cuffs.... I used that now at home got 124/106.... the nwxt could be complwetely diffrent.. piece of crap...

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stupidhippo
    it was one of those big machines where the hole u stick ur hand is huge... it didnt feel like it was too small .. the whole machine was like the size of a small tv... hehe I have one of these homa machines with too smal cuffs.... I used that now at home got 124/106.... the nwxt could be complwetely diffrent.. piece of crap...
    I know what you are talking about. But the hole on the ones that I have seen in Walgreens, Publix and places like like are too small for me. That might be a good thing. Anyway, if you don't feel like it is too tight, you may have a problem. They are not super accurate machines, but if you are showing 106, go buy an extra large cuff (if it is too tight) if it is not too tight, go see a doctor. 106 is nothing to mess with. You need medication.

Tedbear981 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by liftergirl
    Number one...although YOU may have made it a joke and given ridiculous advice, looks like the thread was started by someone with a legitimate question.

Number two...MT is right...I've been here a year longer than you...just maybe have spent more time making QUALITY posts rather than just trying to up my post number by giving bad advice. .... so who's the newbie?

Number three....although I'm sure you "know everything about it", your answers don't refllect it.... and I have a couple of letters behind my name that give me a FEW more credentials to give advice about hypertension. Unless, of course, you've been through med school too????

Number four...there are a LOT of people on this board who are VERY smart and really know what they are talking about....but when someone asks a question, and it's something they are concerned about, give them a bit of respect and if you don't want to truly answer their question, leave it to those of us who do.
    Ok I may be a newb(started a few months after you) but did all those letters after your name help you to recommend to a Bro in another thread twice the maximum daily amount of ibuprofen allowed(you said 800mg 3x a day which is 2400mg, max is 1200) in my book, that makes those credentials after your name B.U.L.L.S.*.I.T. oh and by the way mine are BSN -B.A.

Tedbear981 is offline Member
    BTW I never get a kick out of flaming people so I take back the BullSh*t part but I really hate people coming back all high and mighty, it just pisses me off. Anyone who has been to Med School has my respect!

stupidhippo is offline Anabolic Member
    i disagree with u ted... those limits are not so straight forward always.. I didnt read the other thread but in no way does that statement those credentuals BS. IMO

toolman is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by liftergirl
    Number one...although YOU may have made it a joke and given ridiculous advice, looks like the thread was started by someone with a legitimate question.

Number two...MT is right...I've been here a year longer than you...just maybe have spent more time making QUALITY posts rather than just trying to up my post number by giving bad advice. .... so who's the newbie?

Number three....although I'm sure you "know everything about it", your answers don't refllect it.... and I have a couple of letters behind my name that give me a FEW more credentials to give advice about hypertension. Unless, of course, you've been through med school too????

Number four...there are a LOT of people on this board who are VERY smart and really know what they are talking about....but when someone asks a question, and it's something they are concerned about, give them a bit of respect and if you don't want to truly answer their question, leave it to those of us who do.
    Amen Doc....There is an incredibile amount of bad info in here. Further RUballs0514...aside from the doc properly bitch slapping and owning you, we have no doubt that was not a joke and you were too embarrased by your ignorance. You owe the lady an apology for your juivenile, sexist response...that is if you are big enough.

Puffader is offline Senior Member
    I got half my forearm in that crap at publix. It told me something like 180/88 I know that's totally off.

Quote Originally Posted by znak
    I know what you are talking about. But the hole on the ones that I have seen in Walgreens, Publix and places like like are too small for me. That might be a good thing. Anyway, if you don't feel like it is too tight, you may have a problem. They are not super accurate machines, but if you are showing 106, go buy an extra large cuff (if it is too tight) if it is not too tight, go see a doctor. 106 is nothing to mess with. You need medication.

toolman is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Puffader
    I got half my forearm in that crap at publix. It told me something like 180/88 I know that's totally off.
    Don't worry, that forearm reading is highly unaccurate. Anyone that runs a cycle should own the Omron automatic BP reader. THe model that has a bicep cuff. You can order the larger bicep cuffs. THe machine costs about $80 US and you can find them at Walmart, KMart or Online. THey are by far the most accurate next to the mercury.

Aegir is offline New Member
    What's the acceptable accuracy for a digital bp monitor?What other criterion should I consider?I was planning to buy an Omron M7,only because it comes with a larger cuff(up to 42cm) and would save me the trouble of placing a special order for one of the other models.

Needle_Newb is offline Junior Member
    The blood pressures taken on your foream aren't very accurate. Yes, we use them at the hospital...but only if it's an emergency and we cant use your upper arm....or if it's not needed to be super accurate. Do NOT use them on your forearm to determine if you actually have hypertension or not.
    My doctor is equipped with a regular cuff for a 13" arm. My Upper arms are 20" and my forearms are 16". She had me go to a different clinic that had a larger cuff. They measured my Blood pressure on my upper arm with it and measured my forearm with the regular cuff. The results were very close. accurate enough for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information